It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas school can force teenagers to wear locator chip

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
This is crazy, IMO. I could see making it optional for parents who want their kids to be tracked if they are taken from school grounds, but forcing them? This seems highly unconstitutional to me and definitely not "liberty" that Texas claims to have a monopoly on.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------

Texas school can force teenagers to wear locator chip: judge
By Jim Forsyth | Reuters – 2 hrs 15 mins ago

SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - A public school district in Texas can require students to wear locator chips when they are on school property, a federal judge ruled on Tuesday in a case raising technology-driven privacy concerns among liberal and conservative groups alike.

U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia said the San Antonio Northside School District had the right to expel sophomore Andrea Hernandez, 15, from a magnet school at Jay High School, because she refused to wear the device, which is required of all students.

The judge refused the student's request to block the district from removing her from the school while the case works its way through the federal courts.

The American Civil Liberties Union is among the rights organizations to oppose the district's use of radio frequency identification, or RFID, technology.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Surely that's a breach of Civil Liberty/Human Rights/Constitution...

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Events of the day make for strange sides to find ourselves on at times. It's not very often I find myself in full agreement with the ACLU but they're on the correct side of this one by a good wide margin, IMO.

Enough with the level of micromanagement and micro-tracking that even '1984' would never have believed possible. It's not about "can we" or "is it convenient", it's about should we, I believe. Electronic tracking of individual teenagers is just a bad place to go on many levels. Indoctrination certainly being one of them but trust of those running or having access to this omniscient security network is another.

People at all levels can go bad or even go postal. Networks like this can go from bad idea with absurd price tags in these budget busted times to nightmares of unintended consequence.

bad bad bad idea.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This is bad. Very bad

I wouldn't let that happen to my children, and I wouldn't let them get kicked out of the school for it.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
People still dont get it. George Orwell - 1984.....ITS ALREADY HERE!!!

Those RFID chips will start at school, then for our safety it would be a god idea if the students wore them all the time. Then we'll hear reports of how succesfull they've been and wouldnt it be a good idea to implant every new born child.

Are the majority of parents angry over this judges decision? I bet not. They are ALREADY too brainwashed to see what is happening.

1984 started a long time ago.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I doubt this same school can keep tinfoil or mylar off of its campus though.
There are ways of defeating all securities.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I noticed a few days ago (UK) that in my local shop the staff all wear a device that looks like a wrist watch. I questioned one of the staff, she whispered "it's a tracking device for our security, but we're worried THEY can hear what we're talking about"

edit on 10-2-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I wish more people were actually educated about what rfid even is. These badges are the same thing as physical ID cards. The only difference is that they are read by a machine and not a human. They emit a string of 0s and 1s when brought close to a reading device via electromagnetic induction. That is all. There is no nefarious use for them that can't be achieved via a drivers license. They can't collect data, and without extra electronics the amount of data they can send is limited to 2kb. If they are using a different technology all together to implement what so many people are afraid of... The sooner it gets out there the sooner we hackers, tinkers and makers can help you people find a way around them.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by strings0305

Some of the warehouses I was in and out of as a trucker over 2 years ago now were coming to embrace the RFID system for the backbone of their inventory control system. They weren't little computers and able to tell their own position or anything. They didn't have to be. Warehouses simply laid out a grid of sensors to the computer tracking the inventory. By knowing what sensors each RFID'ed item (by the simple serial number each puts off, nothing more), had crossed and in what order, they could tell what shelf and which column any given item was on, anywhere in a multi-acre warehouse system.

Pretty impressive stuff ...When it's tracking disposable razors or microwave ovens. It's not so neat when it can likewise track and establish historical movement records for individual kids across however far back one wants to build the tracks for. It's as accurate as they want to add the sensors to make it and as large an area as they can extend the network to cover. A campus and outside property, I'd guess. No more running off to smoke behind a building I suppose. lol.... Going to school just isn't fun anymore by the sound of it.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I noticed a few days ago (UK) that in my local shop the staff all wear a device that looks like a wrist watch. I questioned one of the staff, she whispered "it's a tracking device for our security, but we're worried THEY can hear what we're talking about"

edit on 10-2-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)
If it is the same device as my company tried to make us wear (masternaught) then tell her not to worry. They can listen in on conversations with no indication on the wrist device that they are.

They will have told her that this device is to ensure her safety but it does not only track you but keeps records automatically. Records she will not have access to but her boss does.

She will be told that this information will not be used against her. It won’t be until the boss decides he want to cut staff and then the records or audio recordings will be placed in front of her and a please explain demanded. She will be denied a request to see others records to ensure fair use due to data protection.

I have found that despite firm assurances something will not be abused, if it has a function that can be, it will be.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
This is crazy, IMO. I could see making it optional for parents who want their kids to be tracked if they are taken from school grounds, but forcing them? This seems highly unconstitutional to me and definitely not "liberty" that Texas claims to have a monopoly on.
---------------------------

No its not crazy, its someones plan at work. They are getting the young people accustomed to wearing RIFD Chips so when they become adults they promote the benefits of it. The younger the kids the easier it is to get them accoumstomed to wearing them.

Pretty soon they will have a whole generation who "I cant see any problem with it, everyone's got one."

Just like you cant stop the onwward march of technology you cant stop the onward march of barcoding people

new topics

top topics

join