It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! Peacock Attacks Videos. Need advice.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
So, a few weeks ago I was adopted by some peacocks. I named them Hera and Zeus only to find out that they are both male.

Here is my post about the back story of how I was adopted if interested: www.abovetopsecret.com...

So here is my video of the peacocks in the chicken coop and causing a stir with my hens...OH THE DRAMA!!

Watch the peacocks dance and do their thing, its quite amazing and beautiful;

I had to finally intervene to help my hens.

ANY PEACOCK OWNERS OUT HERE ON ATS?? I need help!

As much as I love them, they are trying to claim the chicken coop and are scaring my hens

Is this normal behavior for peacocks? These males are just babies, less than a year old I think.

Please no sarcasm, I am truly looking for some good advice.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
It is odd, that's for sure. I google'd around a bit and found how chickens are the ones who usually pick on the peacocks. Perhaps the peacocks know that the chickens could give them a deadly disease so are simply, kicking them out?

I really don't know much of anything animal-wise, but perhaps animals are finally evolving to another level of intelligence.

So my opinion is, it looks like they just want to take back their land? Perhaps those were the warrior peacocks

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Hi Starwise,

Although they are magnificent birds with a splendid spread of feathers when showing all their glory, they can also become quite agressive when paired with another male and this can sometimes lead to death of one of them caused by fighting.

The best bet is to build a pen apart, but it will need to be quite large in order that both birds can strut around and do their thing but at the same time retreat from each other whenever they start to get a little too agressive with each other (even better is to split the pen in half with a wire fence that cannot be flown over.

Best also to keep them away from common fowl as this can lead to problems with parasites (especially pinworm)

There is also this link which might be able to help you : www.wikihow.com...

Kindest regards

Rodinus
edit on 10-2-2013 by Rodinus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
How cold is it at the moment where you are? Maybe they just want in out of the cold!

Heres some good links that might provide you with answers. It seems to say that they are just fine living with chickens but it does say that they are prone to the cold and can get frost bitten feet

Peafowl 101
Housing

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
How cold is it at the moment where you are? Maybe they just want in out of the cold!

Heres some good links that might provide you with answers. It seems to say that they are just fine living with chickens but it does say that they are prone to the cold and can get frost bitten feet

Peafowl 101
Housing

Thanks for the links.

It was about 35 degrees when I shot this footage early today.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus

The best bet is to build a pen apart, but it will need to be quite large in order that both birds can strut around and do their thing but at the same time retreat from each other whenever they start to get a little too agressive with each other (even better is to split the pen in half with a wire fence that cannot be flown over.

Best also to keep them away from common fowl as this can lead to problems with parasites (especially pinworm)

There is also this link which might be able to help you : www.wikihow.com...

Kindest regards

Rodinus
edit on 10-2-2013 by Rodinus because: (no reason given)

Thanks! I know these must be wild and can't really afford to build them a pen right now. But if I could, I would get them their own barn!!

I am sure its all my fault since I started feeding them once they introduced themselves, but, I fed them way in the back far from the hens so they would know to stay out of my fenced in area. I thought I could train them to a feeding area, NOT take over the chicken house. It is kinda funny though.
I really do not want anyone(bird) to die over all the mess...Thats what I get I guess for feeding strays....

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
looks to me as though they are typical Peacocks strutting their stuff. Two males can be a disaster, this is true. In general I've never had issues when old Pete was still alive with any of the other animals here on the farm, he got along quite well with the horses and goats. cows on the other hand he was Leary about.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pegasus2000
Two males can be a disaster, this is true.

Umm what do you mean disaster??
Should I be more worried?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I forgot to add that one of my chickens is bleeding all over and I do not know how she was injured

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I noticed they don't have their tails in yet so must be younger (maybe 2yrs or younger?)

Peacocks are social birds, I would say they need a few females to keep them occupied.
We successfully penned 14 of ours (male/females) in with some roosters in spring to keep them away from our gardens, there were some fights but they came to an understanding.

We are able to let them free range the farm and roost in the large fir trees for most off the year but pen them during growing season.

They seem to get along fine with our hens but feeding time can lead to the occasional fight, we have had as many as 23 peacocks living with 50+ chickens/ducks/turkeys in free range. The male turkeys were the ones who tried to kill the hens.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
I forgot to add that one of my chickens is bleeding all over and I do not know how she was injured

Awwww, poor little bird!

Sure hope you can figure something out. Call the nearest zoo and donate them or call a wild life preserve or...um...maybe a wild life rehabilitator for advice.

new topics

top topics

join