It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Error correction: The core of human behaviour?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
This thread was mainly inspired by this video below that I watched a while ago. I hope this is the right forum for this, please move otherwise.

Strange Computer Code Discovered Concealed In Superstring Equations!

It's a interview with a professor called Jim Gates who is a professor of theoretical physics that has discovered error correcting computer code deep inside string theory. This code seems to be what we call Hamming Code, invented by Richard Hamming in the 1950s and is used for error correction in computers today.

My mathematics is unfortunately not really on par with Prof. Gates so I cannot verify his findings by myself and I have doubts that anyone on this forum is able to either
Though it would be very pleasant surprise if there was such a talented mathematician here.

Just assuming his theory is correct and assuming string theory is also correct, wouldn't that mean that backdrop of the universe and all action occur in it are actions of error correction? It might not be entirely obvious at first but we make corrections to our behaviour all the time from the moment we are born, at a personal level and at a inter-personal level, from the lonely individual to humanity as a global mass. In the beginning of humanity I suppose we would make very grave errors when we had no knowledge database to refer to and as time goes by we make less and less mistakes and we get more refined and more harmonious. Is the reason for what we know as evil arise from failure in error correction (parental, societal and self-reflection errors? I go by the though of as below so above in this thinking.

This thinking also ties in some with this thread:
Sacred Geometry Holographic Universe Counciousness Golden Ratio Mandlebrot Set & the Illusion of Time

Because I think if we see our universe in a mathematical way and visualize it it would be some sort of error correcting fractal pattern, both from the inside and the outside, error correcting itself to perfection, in and out to infinity.

Would someone care to weigh in on this if someone understand what I'm trying to say, please ask questions if something is unclear! I'm now I'm just drawning casual relationships but I find it interesting. I'm also interested in if you think I'm just changing my theory to fit with this or perhaps that is the right thing to do in this case.
edit on 10/2/2013 by Konoyaro because: minor error corrections;P

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Konoyaro

Math sucks!

Though... why complicate things...

Love or Hate...

Pick a side

edit on 10-2-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

My belief is that the purpose of life is to make mistakes and then learn from them, and then enjoy what we learned from those mistakes even as we make more mistakes. It's a staggered effect that can be visualized as a circle of motion. It keeps the coin balanced. But that's just my personal philosophy in the matter.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Haha, yes why indeed. I'll always choose love and freedom but I find it interesting to make connections between science and philosophy, particularly to be able to discuss spiritual philosophies with people otherwise not inclined to to engage in such topics.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I think the term for inventing such as code should be called discovering. I note on the wiki page you link it states;

Because of the simplicity of Hamming codes

which implies, at least to me, that it's not a complicated observation in nature as mathematics is prominent everywhere we look in it. Having simplicity in its design, it makes sense that positive outcomes result because of it and can be found if looked for properly.

Fractals appear everywhere, yet were discovered as a mathematical set. Only when we looked properly, did we realise they're all around us in nature.

I have no idea about the maths, it is my poor achilles heel, and definitely have no idea about the science of string theory beyond what floats around the internet in varyint degrees.. oO

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

My belief is that the purpose of life is to make mistakes and then learn from them, and then enjoy what we learned from those mistakes even as we make more mistakes. It's a staggered effect that can be visualized as a circle of motion. It keeps the coin balanced. But that's just my personal philosophy in the matter.

There can be no mistakes.
God does not make mistakes.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This makes a lot of sense, in that case humans would be error-correction devices used to correct errors in the super-string. Basically, humans work together to develop things like languages, governments, etc. based on what works - just like evolution - humans are correcting errors in the initial ideas they get through experience.

We eat up information and then defecate more experienced information. All Hail Super String!
edit on 10-2-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
This makes a lot of sense, in that case humans would be error-correction devices used to correct errors in the super-string. Basically, humans work together to develop things like languages, governments, etc. based on what works - just like evolution - humans are correcting errors in the initial ideas they get through experience.

We eat up information and then defecate more experienced information. All Hail Super String!

Humans see problems where there are no problems.
The mind is a problem solving device. It makes problems so it can solve the problem it made - just to give itself something to do.

What's wrong right now?? Unless you think?
edit on 10-2-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
And in that it becomes evident that the bigger the problem we make, the bigger the disastrous results when we inevitably fail.

We can push the envelope only so far before either we run out or we reset.

I would hope that it was not a design at the quantum level that dictates that...

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Wait a minute... particle or wave... binary... two options... on or off... duality? Are we on to something here?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
Humans see problems where there are no problems.
The mind is a problem solving device. It makes problems so it can solve the problem it made - just to give itself something to do.

What's wrong right now?? Unless you think?

Well, I do agree with this.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The mind sees everything as a problem - it is never satisfied.
'It is raining' is a problem that the mind would like to fix and in doing so would then have another problem 'the crops won't grow'.
'What is' is ok as it is really but that would make the mind redundant.

The mind is king in the world. It makes sure you are never happy - never satisfied.

It is time to take the throne away from the mind. Stop believing what it says. Is there really a problem?

edit on 10-2-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

top topics

join