It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wales online asks "now we've found Richard III, where's Owain Glyndwr?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
But I would like to know where llywelyn the great is, he was a prince of gwynedd in north wales and brought independence for Wales and fought to keep it, he married Joan the natural daughter of king John in 1205, John invaded gynedd in 1211 after relations deteriorated. After this llywelyn allied himself with the barons who forced John to sign the Magna Carta in

When he died in 1240 he was buried at aberconwy abbey, an abbey which he had set up, and given extensive lands to, it is claimed in most sources that he was buried here until 1284 when the monks were required to move their abbey to maenan by Edward 1, so that he could build conwy castle on the site of aberconwy, it is claimed in some that llywelyns remains were lost at Henry viiis dissolution of the monastries in 1538, after this his sarcophagus was found in the river and taken to llanwrst, but I think that there is a very strong possibility that he could still be buried at conwy, as some more ancient sources say that conwy castle was built directly over the bones of the princes'.

www.walesonline.co.uk...
www.historyextra.com...

www.information-britain.co.uk...

books.google.co.uk... c-kkZEqcHmCqPLQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=U3wVUZHzMOer0QX4woHYCg&ved=0CFYQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=llywelyn%20the%20greats%20last%20resting%20place&f=false

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Gildenel

Dude, they found his sarcophagus in a river... that doesn't leave much hope for his body to be lying undisturbed somewhere. Whoever tossed his sarcophagus in the river might've been a grave robber? I dunno...
I hope not. But how did his coffins coffin end up in a river??

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

I think they did some pretty horrible things at the dissolution of the monastries, though I must say I haven't heard of anything like this before.

Also his remains could have been hidden by the monks or never removed from their original burial place.
edit on 10-2-2013 by Gildenel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I found this when researching maenan abbey online. Here is the link to the article I was reading

www.leaderlive.co.uk...

The Abbey is the last known resting place of Llywelyn the Great, Prince of Gwynedd, who died in 1240, and whose body was moved to Maenan from its original resting place in Aberconwy after the construction of the new abbey. His body disappeared following the Dissolution of the monasteries, and the bottom half of his casket is kept at Gwydir Chapel in Llanrwst. Local legend says that his body was secretly removed from the Abbey by the Wynns of Gwydir, who were his descendants.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Actually I found the answer to this myself, it is local knowledge in the area that llywelyn the greats remains were taken to gwydir castle, there is a chapel there called the gwydir uchaf chapel, and there is actually a tomb for him in that chapel although this is not widely known.

top topics

join