It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS Quietly Announces They Can Seize Your Laptop / Cellphone Within 100 Miles Of Border!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

Well in most cases they respect peoples privacy, but there is always some asshat cowboy leo out there that believes he has the right to open your laptop and view all your info.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
The Mounties can pull over any vehicle at any time andsearch it......
Their are Game laws, Firearms laws, and a host of other laws which ALLOW VEHICLE SEARCHES...
aNYTHING FOUND THAT IS ILLEGAL DURING ONE OF THESE SEARCHES IS A CHARGEABLE OFFENSE!
If they find a roach while they say they are searching for moosemeat, they can still lay charges....
Canada is NOT a FREE country with constitutional checks and balances....The goverment is virtual dictator till next elections.....

The Mounties cannot pull over any vehicle and search it.

If you are stopped for a sobriety check, a check to see if your vehicle is mechanically sound, to check that you are in possession of a valid licence and insurance, or for a traffic offence, the Mounties may not search your vehicle. They are only allowed to look in the windows, using a flashlight if it is nighttime.

The Mounties require reasonable and probable grounds to believe there are illegal drugs or alcohol or evidence of of the commission of a crime in the car. They also have to believe that these illicit substances or evidence would be removed or destroyed if they were to wait for a search warrant.

Here is a handy pamphlet prepared by the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, the Canadian equivalent of the ACLU, called Know Your Rights.

Now if they have reasonable and probable grounds to search your car for illicit drugs and find a AK-47, a prohibited weapon in Canada, well too bad for you.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
The only difference between now and then is we can communicate instantly thru message boards this has been going on forever, we got more toys now so more things that they will take with personal information.

nothing new just the same old accommodating new tech.
edit on 11-2-2013 by Arsenis because: how to fix will with with

edit on 11-2-2013 by Arsenis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
how is this post popping back up in the feed?? oh yeah people flag as soon as they read titles...

no need for substance just name something controversial

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I too live within the 100 mile limit and I will not allow a search unless I've crossed the border. They still need suspicion of a crime to search your vehicle, so they will ask and you can decide to stand up for your rights or not.

A few years ago the Border Patrol tried the little roadblock game here and the people of Washington told them to get the hell off of our roads and go back to the border. The Border Patrol are not police and the people of Washington state won't support or obey them as such with the exception of when we reenter our state from Canada.

U.S. Border Patrol Chief John Bates -- who is the chief patrol agent for the Blaine Sector, which includes the North Olympic Peninsula -- was asked by one person in the audience that was crammed into the Chimacum High School auditorium what would happen if a driver refused to give identification to a federal agent at a roadblock. Bates said he would have to involve the Sheriff's Office. Jefferson County Sheriff Mike Brasfield said his office would not respond. "I'm sorry, but we would not get involved," Brasfield said to Bates. The standing room only crowd erupted into a round of applause.

Port Townsend policy Daily then outlined the city's policy on dealing with border patrol.
• No Port Townsend police officer will take over or participate in a pursuit originating from a Border Patrol roadblock.
• No officer will participate in a Border Patrol roadblock
neverr

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

The DHS, which secures the nation’s border,

I'm sorry, the fact that the article begins this way makes me chuckle. They don't secure the nation's border as much as they keep tabs on the nation's citizens. These days, it's like J. Edgar Hoover was dug up and put back behind a desk.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by WP4YT
They have no constitution, rights or freedoms. They live under the British monarchy. I thought at the time "glad I live in the USA! this would never happen back home..."

Guess I was wrong.
Ok, so what's the back story on that event, because it is quite demonstrably illegal in Canada. Unless, of course, this was at the border crossing and all bets are off...going both ways, I might add.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by WP4YT
Canada has been doing this for years, but of course they live under the crown as royal subjects. One time I went to Canada, and got pulled over on one of those "go pull over there, you are being randomly searched" stops, and they searched everything, even confiscated my phone and were reading text messages, snickering at dirty text messages I had been texting my girlfriend. They browsed through my laptop and were looking at all of my personal photos and e-mails. I felt really violated. But then I realized, it was Canada. They have no constitution, rights or freedoms. They live under the British monarchy. I thought at the time "glad I live in the USA! this would never happen back home..."

Guess I was wrong.

Thanks Obama and TPTB!

Canada is a kick ass place and much better than America. I have spent half my life in each country. Your statement is completely wrong in every way. One thing you forgot to mention or left out is that you have a criminal record and most likely came up on a CSIS or USIC search showing the gentleman at the road block just how unsavory you really are in our country.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arsenis
how is this post popping back up in the feed?? oh yeah people flag as soon as they read titles...

no need for substance just name something controversial

So I guess you live farther in than 100 miles from the border or the ocean?

Perhaps you might have a relative or friend that's part of the 197 million Americans affected?

Maybe not....

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by WormwoodSquirm

Canada is a kick ass place and much better than America.

Too bad the weather sucks up there, but if it was nice everyone would want to live there just like beautiful Southern California.

The bottom line is the border patrol isn't much interested in protecting our borders, they have become another branch in the police state wasting our taxes looking for drugs. They want to turn the U.S. into war zone full of checkpoints.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

oh, f**k that bulls**t...my entire state in that zone....

the constitution is still the supreme law of the land, and any "law" or "statute" that violates the constitution is illegal, invalid, and unenforceable....

let em' try..

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
after reading some of the links..the gvot has had the power to do this for some time..and its being reiterated again....which probably means that the will be doing this more and more and more and setting up more and more and more check points...refusing a search of your vehicle does not create 'probably cause' but boy..you are gunna have to have some guts to say that and stand by that as they detain you and search your stuff anyway....as a former LEO, i can think of a dozen ways to show 'probable cause' useing possibly, or in combination... your demeaner, your type of vehicle, your type of attire, your body language, where you are/were going, do you have tattoos? do you have bumper strickers on the vehicle, do i 'smell' something? did you actual touch me? ect ect ect.......

there may be legal recourse after the fact but how long will that take? months, years..how much money and stress....yah, yoou may be able to refuse a search but like i said..good luck

land of the free...HA

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus
reply to post by Signals

oh, f**k that bulls**t...my entire state in that zone....

the constitution is still the supreme law of the land, and any "law" or "statute" that violates the constitution is illegal, invalid, and unenforceable....

let em' try..
It appears they are. Your move.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sean

They can only read what you are careless enough to write.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
How many days of people absolutely staying home from work, any kind of work, would it take before this nonsense stopped?

Because the alternative is the French Revolution redux.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
The Border Patrol are not police....

But they ARE a Federal Law Enforcement Agency with powers of arrest - why would they need the local Sheriff??

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Ya know what USA.? Kiss my butt! My "safety" isn't worth all this crap you put us through. only some pathetic frail old bitty would be okay with what you are imposing on us. I'll take my risk because if I cannot have the rights our forefathers fought for, our constitutional rights, then ironically I should just live in some middle eastern country where you are "fighting for their freedoms." Don't look me in the eye and call me friend as you stab me in the back.
It seems to me the American civilians are more and more becoming the true voice of America. I don't know who you are, but you don't represent American values.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The DHS should concentrate on illegal aliens by the border. Believe me, there's enough of them running around to keep them busy for a long while..

But if they decide to investigate.... I have nothing to hide. They would just be wasting their time w/me.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I have a problem with the ACLU map that shows all of Michigan, and parts of Wisconsin and Illinois in this constitution free zone. Technically, Lake Michigan is the only Great Lake completely within the U.S. borders and it's much farther from our international border with Canada than 100 miles. Maybe they consider Lake Michigan international waters? I bet they would have a problem with the Chinese and Russian navy doing exercises in any of the Great Lakes, much less Lake Michigan.

Just go to Google maps and check the distance from the Canadian border. Basically, in the southern lower peninsula, if you are west of 127, and north bound 69, then your rights should still be safe. Then starting with Midland and going north to I-75, west of there should be safe. Now cut across from Roscommon to Kalkaska and most of that northern tip of the lower is inside the 100 mile constitution free zone. Most of the eastern U.P. west to about 41, and all of the Kewinaw peninsula is also in the constitution free zone.

I wonder about 100 miles from Indian reservations, if that is included considering they are more or less foreign countries within our borders. That would cover most of the western states.

Does anyone know why Lake Michigan is considered inside this 100 mile border zone? The ACLU wasn't too helpful in this respect.

I'll be posting this in every thread with this topic. Thanks for any replies in advance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join