It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS Quietly Announces They Can Seize Your Laptop / Cellphone Within 100 Miles Of Border!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
The more people allow...the more TPTB will continue to do. Who needs FEMA camps, when you can use fear as your prison?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by WP4YT
Canada has been doing this for years, but of course they live under the crown as royal subjects. One time I went to Canada, and got pulled over on one of those "go pull over there, you are being randomly searched" stops, and they searched everything, even confiscated my phone and were reading text messages, snickering at dirty text messages I had been texting my girlfriend. They browsed through my laptop and were looking at all of my personal photos and e-mails. I felt really violated. But then I realized, it was Canada. They have no constitution, rights or freedoms. They live under the British monarchy. I thought at the time "glad I live in the USA! this would never happen back home..."

What a load!
No doubt this happened at one of our border crossings where we have every right to search the vehicle of someone wishing to enter our country.
As far as claiming that we have no constitution or rights and freedoms, typically ignorant American bull#!

As far as the 100 mi search zone, I wonder how much this has to do with catching terrorists and how much it has to do with enforcing the IP of the RIAA and MPAA members.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Canada has been doing this for years, but of course they live under the crown as royal subjects. One time I went to Canada, and got pulled over on one of those "go pull over there, you are being randomly searched" stops, and they searched everything, even confiscated my phone and were reading text messages, snickering at dirty text messages I had been texting my girlfriend. They browsed through my laptop and were looking at all of my personal photos and e-mails. I felt really violated. But then I realized, it was Canada. They have no constitution, rights or freedoms. They live under the British monarchy. I thought at the time "glad I live in the USA! this would never happen back home..."

Guess I was wrong.

Thanks Obama and TPTB!

Dear one, we do so have a constitution, and rights and freedoms. Some of them are better than the US. On that international list of free countries, we scored higher than the US. But border guards have always been Nazi's on both sides for years. The part about the queen I most definitely agree with. If you want to have Common Wealth or an agreement between countries then why not afford ease of movement (there is some, no need for Visa), choice of living, where to to school, etc. Mind i'd be in New Zealand if I could, so it would need to withdraw to become private to stay in pristine conditions. Corporate law and the queen having any rights whatsoever is illegal, thats fascism. And we don't really need a purple barnie like mascot, and that is what she is on paper, a mascot.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
San Antonio, Texas is more than 125 miles from any border, to the coast or otherwise. (Actually, I think it's more than 150, but since I haven't verified it, I won't make that claim) Talk about "give them an inch..." I wonder if they mean "as the drone flies" because it sure isn't overland.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
reply to post by AwakeinNM

They're already putting up roadblocks!

Relax everyone, it's for our safety, after all.......

DOES ANYONE NEED MORE EVIDENCE THAT GOVERNMENT IS YOUR ENEMY

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DogsDogsDogs
San Antonio, Texas is more than 125 miles from any border, to the coast or otherwise. (Actually, I think it's more than 150, but since I haven't verified it, I won't make that claim) Talk about "give them an inch..." I wonder if they mean "as the drone flies" because it sure isn't overland.

Isn't that scary we used to refer it to, as the crow fly's now days its, as the drone fly's. How times have changed...

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

This video raise an interesting question about the seemingly pointless checkpoints: Could they be, more than anything else, a mean to condition the officers to see invasion of privacy and disregard of lawful rights as just routine and not that big a deal?

I hadn't thought of that before, but it makes sense. There is next to nothing that cannot be made mundane simply by subjecting someone to it enough times. It's scary but true.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
i would contact the state and federal agencies and tell them i am no longer paying federal taxes as my rights are not garunteed or even protected.

thats the whole point isnt it, we pay taxes so this piece of %$ government protects our rights?

should be a tax free zone 100 miles around the country border with no federal taxes.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Just to clarify... I live on the coast... Like the "border of the pacific ocean"... Am I good? XD

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
reply to post by Signals

Just to clarify... I live on the coast... Like the "border of the pacific ocean"... Am I good? XD

For anyone else unclear.. The Ocean is a border. Oh look that's almost every major city in the USA..

edit on 2/10/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

No you're not....check the map link I posted.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Guess I was wrong.

Thanks Obama and TPTB!

Uhhhh,, Canada is a free country, they don't live under anyone but Canada. Sucks you felt violated, but the CBSA has the right to search and seizure if they feel even the slightest bit suspicious of you. Works both ways, the Americans do it to Canadians as well. I remember crossing the border 3 or 4 years ago, being pulled over. Detained for 2 hrs, searched repeatedly, forced to disrobe, had my truck basically pulled apart, kept threatening to bring dogs, I kept saying please do. They swabbed every inch of the inside of my truck to run through that damn machine looking for any reason to keep me. When I was finally let go, I literally turned right around and went back to Canada. I'm a white male, clean cut, clean vehicle, no criminal record or arrests, like 3 traffic tickets in my life. I was never even told why I was stopped. They gave me 4 or 5 different reasons why they stopped me. A vehicle similar to yours was reported stolen. We're searching you for drugs.. firearms... explosives.. It was completely retarded, and I've never been back since.

en.wikipedia.org...

In Canada it's called the Charter of Rights in freedoms mind you.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DogsDogsDogs

yeah i noticed that the 100 mile zone on the map is way off, it`s much more than 100 miles, I chalked it up to ACLU propaganda.
For example, Maryland is approximately 325 miles wide but that map has the orange 100 mile zone covering almost the entire 325 miles,

edit on 10-2-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The Mounties can pull over any vehicle at any time andsearch it......
Their are Game laws, Firearms laws, and a host of other laws which ALLOW VEHICLE SEARCHES...
aNYTHING FOUND THAT IS ILLEGAL DURING ONE OF THESE SEARCHES IS A CHARGEABLE OFFENSE!
If they find a roach while they say they are searching for moosemeat, they can still lay charges....
Canada is NOT a FREE country with constitutional checks and balances....The goverment is virtual dictator till next elections.....

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Ya gotta wonder how many jingoistic nitwits here supported the Patriot Act. And ya gotta wonder how many of them now deny it. An awful lot.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Traveling and going across check points and borders keep your data safe. There are numerous ways to keep your data safe. Turn off the phone with a pin lockout. Full disk encrypt your HD. Or store info on a encrypted partition or file. Don't use automatic login passwords instead use a login password manager. If your laptop supports it, lock it out using the bios. Enable laptop bios tracking if the laptop is stolen. There is laptop recovery software you can install if the laptop doesn't have a bios feature. I mean there is tons of things you can do to secure a laptop.

Hearing about officials browsing someones laptop looking at pictures is a violation of privacy. You don't need a constitution to have that right, it's a human right. If you use credit cards follow the person and watch them scan your card so they don't try to carbon copy your card and always get your receipt! Or better yet use travel checks and know the exchange currency rate. Exchange money ahead of time. Believe me they will attempt to rip you off! If ever stopped and held by police for anything you have receipts to show where you was and what time you was there. Protect yourself. Carry a list of numbers to contact in an emergency and your embassy. Especially places such as Mexico that is full of corruption. If your in a car get a small fire proof safe and keep your stuff in there. Have a gun on board lock it in the glove box or small fire proof safe. A pistol locked away is not concealment.
edit on 10-2-2013 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I honestly don't know if it still applies, and it may well not. But some years back the government declared P2P, and similar encryption software to be munitions - and trying to enter or leave the country with them was the same as if you were carrying a bomb.

As time permits tonight or tomorrow, I will try and research to see if that particular legislation was ever overturned, or expired, or anything that would undo it.

ETA: Sorry... in my haste I erred. Not P2P...PGP. Sorry.
edit on 2/10/13 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sean

Thanks for the reply but we shouldn't have to worry about taking those precautions!

And this ain't Mexico!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I went through two checkpoints, and was within feet of the border today, and I still have my laptop and phone.

What is interesting, if the "agencies" want to get the contents of your laptops and smart/cell phones, tablets etc. they don't need to take them from you, they can access it all with ease.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

No it isn't Mexico, but those precautions should be taken everywhere. Working with computers I see it happening all the time. I have lost count how many times I hear of someones life turned upside down because their unsecured laptop was stolen with all their personal information on it.
edit on 10-2-2013 by sean because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join