It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Okay... thats it..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
So, I buy my youngest ( 7 yrs) a Kurio tablet.

www.kurioworld.com...

Dear Kurio,

Your product sucks and your preloaded content is crap. You've intentionally slowed this tablet down to being only useful as a paper weight. Youve made a pitiful attempt to piss people off so badly that they feel forced to PURCHASE things that will run on your product FROM YOU. This is marketed as a "family tablet" when its functionality is limited so that a 7 yr old is bored and frustrated with it.

But Kurio, you made a mistake.

Your flaw was forgetting that people can root an android device or assumed we wouldnt find a way.. and it runs as fast as comparable android tablets. ALL apps run on it and netflix runs smoothy now. You've went all around the web forcing android boards to delete the instructions and files. When parents find that you falsely advertised your tablet as a family tablet, when in fact youd have to have the IQ of a tomato for this thing to remotely be considered functional... and looked for help.. you tried to deny them the ability. This is MY item that I purchased.. I can do what I want with it. I have rooted your Krap Kurio into a fully functioning ANDROID tablet . Marketing something as "kid friendly" doesnt mean you have to make it useless and unable to run the games you have made for it so slowly that kids dont want it... and parents are then forced to buy YOUR dumbed down crap for extra money that run on it.
So Kurio, in the future, market your tablet properly and be honest in your business practices rather than lying to parents that simply want a functional tablet for their children. Your advertised "educational" games were pathetic.
The ONLY saving grace in this purchase was a good bright pink shock absorbing cover. I could have returned this.. but it presented a personal challenge.. and pissed me off. Now I will spread the instructions on HOW to root the Kurio for all pissed off parents out there that bought this thing and relied on your information concerning the true functionality of this product.

Regards,
Pissed off purchaser of the Kurio

WHEW.. that feels SOOoooOOOOoooo much better now.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Wow, that was great! I don't know what the product is but the rant was awesome, especially since you outmaneuvered the producer.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
We usually have to unlock and root all of our Android phones and tablets to make them run better, faster, and more efficiently. Glad you were able to unlock that tablet to get the full functionality out of it.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Thankya, thankya... Im telling you, the way they set this thing up was nuts.
ATS can sometimes be great therapy. I almost had a notion to call "customer svc" and yell at some poor pakistani kid just making a buck.. but this worked out much better.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Nice letter.

I purchased an Android MP3 player (since I refuse to buy apple products) and ran in to a similar situation. Was very disappointing when I found out I could only use preloaded apps. or apps from a certain store, because there was no access to Google play. Even worse for a MP3 player it takes for ever to load. way to much useless junk on it. The false advertising is ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
We usually have to unlock and root all of our Android phones and tablets to make them run better, faster, and more efficiently. Glad you were able to unlock that tablet to get the full functionality out of it.

I hear you, but the husband and I bought into the "kid content" and " parental control" features and " educational games".. which all were HORRIBLE. Meh, works like kid #1's Toshiba Thrive now. Teh 7 yr old has an Ipod 4 she is nuts about.. but always has it jammed in her face with the small screen. Got her this for the above reasons and it was a little bit larger screen. Boy was it marketed with a lot of... erm... lofty wordage compared to the reality of what it actually was!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
can't be worse thatn window's 8.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Nice letter.

I purchased an Android MP3 player (since I refuse to buy apple products) and ran in to a similar situation. Was very disappointing when I found out I could only use preloaded apps. or apps from a certain store, because there was no access to Google play. Even worse for a MP3 player it takes for ever to load. way to much useless junk on it. The false advertising is ridiculous.

I understand

2 words : ROOT IT!
Seriously, sign up on a android board or hack board and someone WILL find the method if its humanly possible. IN fact, some of these guys and gals are only remotely human.. they are androids themselves I think
Its like a personal challenge to some of us. Well, personal challenge and being pissed off... its a great motivator when you spend money for junk.
Ive posted what I did all over the net.. and deepnet. It CAN be found.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
If anyone could u2u me with tips on how to make my android MP3 player run more "efficiently" I would appreciate it.

Edit: You posted before I finished my post. Doing a search now.
edit on 9-2-2013 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku

No, youre completely correct. Thats a MUUCH worse sort of false advertisement... and the early reviews were obviously NOT from true users.

I just bought an Asus K53E.... windows 7 ultimate.. after my yr old Toshiba died.
Pay more just to get away from 8.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Send it to me, I'll throw Ubuntu on it - and then you'll have to write another rant about how I am responsible for your kid learning how to get /root.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Send it to me, I'll throw Ubuntu on it - and then you'll have to write another rant about how I am responsible for your kid learning how to get /root.

Done did it Heff... but thanks.

If I sent it to you it would be returned all smudged with bacon grease.. so thanks, but no thanks, Bacon Boy.

Speaking of Ubuntu and Linux.. most of our machines run Linux in one form or another. I had to keep this new laptop on windows due to a few programs I must use. Damn windows trap...

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I'm typing from a Windows XP partition right now. The only reason? The Sims.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Okay, I read part of a FAQ on this rooting thing (I'm a computer idiot).

Here comes the dumb question. What is the purpose of slowing down a phone?

Why do they restrict access to things? Does it have to do with making sure you only use "their" apps? Is that a greed thing or a control freak thing?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Creep Thumper
What is the purpose of slowing down a phone?

It's not that they deliberately slow down a phone, it's that there's too much bloat-ware installed that slows the phone or tablet down, and takes up precious storage space and RAM memory.

Pretty much like most laptops and store-bought computers nowadays come with tons of bloat-ware installed

Android is just a watered-down version of Linux, but it's still Linux.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

That makes sense in the context of my smartphone. I've got an old Android and it loads all kinds of Google crap.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Lol

Well, your kids tablet is pretty much similar to my eken, except my eken is 10.1" and no back facing camera.. but then I paid less.

You're lucky you found website that had instructions to root it. I think thing like this are slightly more open to rooting than the average cheap brand from china as people like you rail at the fact you can't do much right out of the box.. necessity is the mother of invention.

But lol at the rage letter. It's something a little foresight would have prevented entirely. Never buy a tablet without researching it first, or you're just asking to be unimpressed.

You could have bought a 7" tablet with the same specs at hald the price.

I do note that yours appears to have hard buttons... so you'll lose their function with later android versions... or you can use a button app that can redefine them to be useful.

Bad move if you ask me, google moving away from hard buttons and into soft buttons that take up real estate on the tablet...

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

No, youre completely correct. Thats a MUUCH worse sort of false advertisement... and the early reviews were obviously NOT from true users.

I just bought an Asus K53E.... windows 7 ultimate.. after my yr old Toshiba died.
Pay more just to get away from 8.

Sadly so many people are just ignoring the fact that it's actually a decent OS because they don't want it to be.

I can see how it's the case as I was defiantly against it.. until I used it for a length of time.

Won't see me going back to 7 any time soon.

Sigh..
edit on 9-2-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

One word of advice to those unaware.

If you're going to do anything to your tablet/device you should know that unless you're doing something someone else has done (with the same hardware) then you run the very real risk of bricking your device.

And it won't be fun to go from "I hate this POS" to "I need a NEW POS!"

The hardware inside them can be varied and the software written in ways to work specifically with it.

So, know what you are doing. Don't just go and dump a modded rom onto it, etc.

And a lot of guides will assume an environment where you have at least some understanding of what you're doing.

Darknet? Lmao the day I resort to loading up tor and browsing that hole, is the day I give up and go live on a mountain top.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Can anything? Well, outside of your grammar.
edit on 10-2-2013 by Shoujikina because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join