How do you think?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by Itisnowagain

When focusing, what did you recognize as yourself?

A reflection representing everything I've ever experienced.

I like that.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I was watching this panel discussion today about genius, and there's a lot here about how these kinds of people think. When I was younger, I was relentlessly creative, but not very productive, and at time-37.45 or so in this video, they discuss the disorganization within the "white matter" of the brain that allows for new and novel information relationship associations to form - exactly the sort of activity that my "inattentive" ADD addled brain was most commonly engaged in. Since Adderall, I've become capable of normal levels of focus and task follow-through. This - for me - has been a complete transformation in the way that I think. The intense levels of disorganization in the frontal regions of my brain can now be followed up by normal levels of organization - allowing me to take the epiphanies and run them down for validation in a way that I was never able to before.

I know that a lot of people use Adderall for exam prep and that sort of thing, but for me, all it does is allow me the kind of normal focus that the average person enjoys. What makes my brain different is the unusual capacity for discovering novel association between what our planet's human cultures have commonly agreed upon as being completely disparate concepts that can't be associated. And it happens without any conscious direction coming from me, as was always the case with songs and poems that would simply emerge whole and finished, taking only the time to physically write them down. Over 100 songs and many dozens of poems, with more coming all the time in spite of the fact that I don't find any use for them.

In fact, that 2012-infinity video I made was a lot easier for me to lay out in verse, than it would've been if I'd done a straight prose voice-over, laying out the case in regular sentences. Splitting the content between a rhythmic "Preacher" sermon and a faux-rap piece was the most natural way for me to fill that 14 minutes up and explain the whole infinity-doesn't-exist message of the video. I'm just putting the finishing touches on another video "The Quantum of Now" that's a beat-poetry scat over a bass-drums-sax bop-jazz number that I wrote for the video. The natural disorganization of the "white matter" of my brain makes expressing myself in poetry and creating unusual combinations a process that comes completely natural to me. Then, the Adderall makes it possible for me to do more than perform it on the spot before it vanishes completely.

It's been really interesting to get used to this new capacity for intellectual follow-through. It almost reminds me of "Flowers for Algernon", and I'm Charlie.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wang Tang
A thought is a process.

No two thoughts are identical, because the process of thought never happens the same way twice.

Abstract concepts that a thought draws from may be identical.

A process always has a function. What is the function of thought?
What does thought seek to achieve, what have we used it for?
Is thought conscious of itself to be able to have a goal for itself? No, so I say we are the ones who use thought. Because every thought that appears has blended itself to our awareness, we are able to focus on it...expand and refine it; examine, an ad discover more in it. But all we discover I is more thought. However, this polyglot of thoughts have now a function. That function may be considered a concept, only if it cannot be applied in this reality which we experience through the senses.
That means there exists another reality, which thought originates from.

I opine that you all are trying to see what that world is.
It is only the world which you exist in, but have yet to discover. It is not discovered as having a function, like everything is in this physical universe. What I mean to say is, that everything (every single thing) we might examine in this world necessarily has a function. As we look at how a particular object/item has a function, we might discover smaller components that also have function; and one may keep on looking and looking, until they ask "what purpose does it all have".
And yet we are the ones who give it a purpose. We look through the microscopes for a reason.

So how does this all relate? You will see.

Look above, where I had used the word "examine" in bold.
What is it to examine, but to draw thought through the sensory experience? Like posters in this thread have typed, the thoughts are left to imagery, because we will see only that which can be discovered to have an intent behind it. We recognize thought as such; as having function, therefore we fit perfectly in a body which has function, within a world which has function. What are We?

So, we only recognize things which have function.
Through that recognition, we establish a connection between the sensed-world and thoughts, and we have a reality with ourselves as "perceivers"/"individuals that will act in order to establish intent for self".
What is it to act, but to seeking to recognize further our intent in the worlds which experience: the world of mind, and the world of body - the thoughts and the thoughts-when-sensed.

This is baffling to me, and i would insist on any responses to this post.

The question I would like to know is "what is it to 'be aware'/'recognize thought'".
Are we all single things/individuals?
Things which, by nature, can be examined , explored, and discovered infinitesimally?
What keeps all thoughts together? What is their harmony?

And reading till page three of this thread, I would have to state:

Awareness is content, and thought is the container.
The contents are water. You are the thought, the thought which you focus upon.

Thought is more than "thought". It is the energy present throughout existence, which we will translate into that which appears for us to function . What are you thinking about right now?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
My thinking has always been deep.

I seem to think and reflect upon that which others around me do not.

Esoteric wisdom is where my mind feels at home.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I like your post ~ analysis.

I enjoy systems as well and agree with this below.

It is not the content of the thoughts of past thinkers that is important to learn, but the skill of exploring thought structure, logic, reason......how to step out of one structure and build another, if even temporarily, to look through another perspective, anothers eyes.....

Its great, especially in a social setting to allow yourself perspective from another view.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1Learner
there exists another reality, which thought originates from.

I would argue the concepts that our thoughts draw from are formed a priori or through experience. No need to bring in alternate realities or else this discussion will turn into a debate about mind-body duality.

And as the OP stated, his question "how do you think?" is ambiguous. When you start speculating where thought originates from you are going into the other side of the question (thought as an effect of some mysterious cause).

I've been staying away from that side of the question, and focused on the systematic process by which we think. What are the patterns of our thought, and is there a systematic process that determines when we think and what we think?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wang Tang

there exists another reality, which thought originates from.

I would argue the concepts that our thoughts draw from are formed a priori or through experience. No need to bring in alternate realities or else this discussion will turn into a debate about mind-body duality.

The quote of mine that you would argue against, I would too disagree with.

Thought does not originate from a different realm.
In 1 of the changing terms which i use it, it is that which passes through the mind due to the human need to develop ideas and implement action on whatever the human feels must be acted upon (for example, a life problem, or a bodily need). Thoughts are completely related to this world in that way.

However, in the other term which is mysterious to many, it is not [originally of] this world.

For thought to have a form, the observed thought must have a function.
Thought itself has no form, but ideas drawn from it do have form. Thought without form is how Thought exists before we recognized it in the world & in the way that we recognize it now. Without it, we would not exist as individuals trying to discover it. Something that is beyond form cannot be understood. Think of something which has no function. If you just thought of something, it must have had a function; it must have had a form that must have been composed of smaller components which have functions too. So there is no thought of "something-without-form". It is like imagining what one here has called Awareness and another has called Consciousness. It exists, but cannot be seen like we see things in this world, which must be seen as having function. Many try to see what they are, but look in terms of doing instead of being. Being is not of this realm. But your being must exist for "you" to think, do, discover more until you find what you seek. You will not find it in terms of thought, but you may connect with it...I am digressing.

"How I think," I have explained. The OP has explained it too in the second post of this thread.
edit on 10-2-2013 by 1Learner because: replacing words

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 1Learner

Pictures are easier to understand so here's my thought process shown by a picture (pun intended).

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

In brief...

“How do I think?”

I entertain thoughts.

How do you formulate and evaluate your ideas?

The thoughts that I don't discard, I build upon. If...then, until a conclusion is reached or it is discarded or "shelved" until I get more input on the "matter".

Where in you do they come from? Where from do you receive them?

I, (the me) evaluate the "thoughts" that occur within my perception. Their source could be external, from a TV show or person speaking, or from that other source within... from "without".

There is dialog involved.

I think you are aware enough to get that. Somewhere I read that Socrates best answer to how he "looked at thought" involved a blackboard of sorts that thoughts appeared on? They were illuminated in some way and discarded or entertained because he...

I forget. You know that story better than I...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

You talk mostly how to control your mind. It's very easy - let your thoughts go through you while not focusing on each one.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wang Tang

I enjoyed comprehending your picture.
Finding the words to articulate the purpose of the process itself is what is difficult, because we are accustomed to use the process of thought to develop intentions, which is the only way that humans comprehend things. In other words, using the process of thought on the process of thought is like taking a look at yourself and asking what the purpose is.
That statement may be far from the purpose of the thread, but I raise the question: what is the purpose of wondering about the process of thought?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

reply to post by Wang Tang

I enjoyed comprehending your picture.
Finding the words to articulate the purpose of the process itself is what is difficult, because we are accustomed to use the process of thought to develop intentions, which is the only way that humans comprehend things. In other words, using the process of thought on the process of thought is like taking a look at yourself and asking what the purpose is.
That statement may be far from the purpose of the thread, but I raise the question: what is the purpose of wondering about the process of thought?

Haha I see what you did there "comprehending" my picture.

Purpose of thinking about thinking... I'm thinking... thinking...

This is very difficult, I seem to have lost my thought somewhere along the thought process.

Oh hey I think I can see where in my thought process my idea was lost. There it is!

Wow what I great idea I had! Good thing I saw exactly where in the thought process I lost it!

Turns out this post is the idea I was looking for.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join