It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outright Gluttony

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
As soon as news of the storm coming their way, they went out early to raid the food stores to beat the next door neighbor (enemy) to the store so that they can throw out enormous piles of fresh food into the Rubbish to impress the next door people that they got that much money to throw away and plenty more coming in. Street after street is seen lined with piles of freshly bought food in the rubbish cans after any little or big snowstorm -just to be a pig. If you go to the Acme, etc food stores now ,you'd see the shelves stripped bare. You would not get much to eat for dinner and all the restaurants and MacDonald's are closed -because of them. You are the one who would be picked up by the police. This was unheard of before the 1960s. They rush out early and are back to snuggle up for the storm to gawk at the more unfortunate who didn't make it in time. Even one snowflake will drive the teachers to close the schools so they can have an extra paid vacation all in the name of robbery of the state.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Most people already have enough food in their pantries to survive a week long blizzard. They just don't want to eat those cans of soup and creamed corn that have been sitting there since 2009. Going to the store and hogging food for yourself so others can't have it - gluttony defined.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
It seems like such a waste of time. I see that on CNN every time there's a major storm.
We don't do that up here. They never tell us we can't go out in the storm (ever) and if we go to make sure we have enough milk for a couple of days, there are no more people shopping than usual.

I've never seen shelves stripped bare.

The time is better spent making sure the stuff outside around the house is put away, storm windows are in place, and the dog poop is picked up out of the yard (before it gets buried under more snow or rained on)

Unless for some reason that blizzard was supposed to be TEOTWAWKI

The media down there likes to really hype things up, and then keep it going for days in advance.
Up here, if you missed the weather section of the news......

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by siluriancryptic

Is there something I am missing here? Maybe a link to explain just what everyone is talking about?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The news gets everyone worried then they run to the store and buy twice as much as they need. The grocery chains must prep the media so they get more sales.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Right. But the reference of people leaving fresh food in the garbage as some kind of status symbol. Where is that coming from?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by rickymouse

Right. But the reference of people leaving fresh food in the garbage as some kind of status symbol. Where is that coming from?

I don't think it is a status symbol. I think that it is a conditioning that has gone astray. Those that have, in the past, have provided for others in need wherein they could do it without confronting the people and without taking away the persons dignity. Food that was still good was put out for them. Some people need that sense of dignity as though they are providing for themselves and not a burden on others. Dumpster diving helps provide that dignity.

Back in the old days, the food waste was not mixed with other toxic waste like it is today. We have a lot of bad chemistry in our garbage and sometimes that can cause problems with this. In the city some restaurant owners putting scraps in the garbage treat the scraps as food knowing the homeless will eat them. They aren't loosing any customers this way, the customers do not go into the alleys and never see this. This has been going on for a very long time.

Some of this is imprinted into our genetics but we have lost the way to understand it. Knowledge that is stored in every cell in our body to help those who are less fortunate. Someday we all may be in this situation, would you want nobody indirectly helping us? I personally would rather dumpster dive than to steal from someone or to beg for money. Up here I could survive on nature, that is unless everyone else was doing it too and all of nature got depleted.....

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
" so that they can throw out enormous piles of fresh food into the Rubbish to impress the next door people that they got that much money to throw away and plenty more coming in. Street after street is seen lined with piles of freshly bought food in the rubbish cans after any little or big snowstorm"

No. The OP is claiming this from somewhere or for some reason. But, I've never seen anything like this happen, except maybe after a group has a large party such as a wedding and decides to throw out the food. It's not uncommon for people to take the extra food to the shelters which I've taken part in before.

So where is this claim coming from is what bigfatfurrytexan wants to know?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
You honestly think that crap on those shelves is food? It's all genetically modified or oversaturated in hormones or pesticides. Not to mention the radioactive fallout from fukushima.

They want you to overindulge and depend on this GM crap, they want you to completely rely on them and not yourselves. You have no excuse to whine if you don't have your own personal garden or if you drink tap water.

It is one thing to be able to see and another to be able to do.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
This is totally a RANT. Sorry you got beat to the grocery store. Next time don't wait until there is nothing left on the shelves.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gottaknow
" so that they can throw out enormous piles of fresh food into the Rubbish to impress the next door people that they got that much money to throw away and plenty more coming in. Street after street is seen lined with piles of freshly bought food in the rubbish cans after any little or big snowstorm"

No. The OP is claiming this from somewhere or for some reason. But, I've never seen anything like this happen, except maybe after a group has a large party such as a wedding and decides to throw out the food. It's not uncommon for people to take the extra food to the shelters which I've taken part in before.

So where is this claim coming from is what bigfatfurrytexan wants to know?

Bingo.

But i gave up. I figure if asking once didn't get the right answer, I didn't need to really know.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Agreed, I don't understand the OP's statement at all where is this happening, how do you know there throwing away perfectly good food? are there just piles of unopened food on the sidewalk if so just pick it up and use it. people really pay attention to there neighbors trash that much ???

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
kinda off topic but what you feel about grocery's and retailers throwing out food or shreding clothes instead of donating it to the poor and needy? dumbster diving is in.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kyo560
kinda off topic but what you feel about grocery's and retailers throwing out food or shreding clothes instead of donating it to the poor and needy? dumbster diving is in.
Ummmm....dumbster?...Your Freudian slip is showing...I can't seem to relate to what the OP is talking about, I guess I don't live in that affluent a neighborhood to have witnessed such a phenomenon....Oh...wait...my closest neighbor is a quarter of a mile away...my bad...I guess I havn't got a "neighborhood".
I wonder if the OP has any proof to back up such a claim. I know that in...my bomb shelter...we rotate out the stock and consume it, I would never think of just tossing it in the "dumbster"...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by siluriancryptic

Is there something I am missing here? Maybe a link to explain just what everyone is talking about?

Yeah really . Is op just made about something? What is wrong with buying food before a big storm hits and if this big storm hits and power goes out would we not throw food that has spoiled. I never once saw piles of food in front of house after house on the news. Please OP explain your rant.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by siluriancryptic
As soon as news of the storm coming their way, they went out early to raid the food stores to beat the next door neighbor (enemy) to the store so that they can throw out enormous piles of fresh food into the Rubbish to impress the next door people that they got that much money to throw away and plenty more coming in. Street after street is seen lined with piles of freshly bought food in the rubbish cans after any little or big snowstorm -just to be a pig. If you go to the Acme, etc food stores now ,you'd see the shelves stripped bare. You would not get much to eat for dinner and all the restaurants and MacDonald's are closed -because of them. You are the one who would be picked up by the police. This was unheard of before the 1960s. They rush out early and are back to snuggle up for the storm to gawk at the more unfortunate who didn't make it in time. Even one snowflake will drive the teachers to close the schools so they can have an extra paid vacation all in the name of robbery of the state.

Are you commenting on the big snow strom that just hit the North East Unidted States? if so are you from that area. Judging by some of the wording used I would think you don't even live in the states. Maybe next time hit the store before a bog storm. We like to call that being prepared and it's McDonalds but i wouldn't count a place only the min wage to it's workers to be open after 40 inches of snow fall.

top topics

join