It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tattoos.... dumb idea or or a sincere remembrance ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I have somewhere around 20 tattoos and I love almost all of the. The exceptions being the 2 I decided to give myself when drinking
Not all of them hold special meanings, but to me they're all great. Even the gun show tickets on each bicep that I got as a bet lol.

People always say "you'll regret that when you get old and wrinkly" but seriously have you ever seen an old person? They aren't concerned with looking "cool" and I know I won't be any exception. So if you like your tats then that's all that matters.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by thegrandpotato

You tattooed yourself

Know anyone good enough to do my avy on me ?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubSea
When I see anyone with a tattoo that is visible when wearing anything more than a short sleeve top and shorts my immediate reaction is: "What an idiot". I see lots of idiots these days.

Can you really think about your grandchildren asking to see your faded out "tramp stamp"??

Many of us are educated professionals (degrees in my case..plural) that actually have a life and don't feel the need to pigeonhole others. Oversimplified categories are usually used by simple people. I was an RN for yrs ( a decade in an ER) and just retired from the prosecuting attys office a few weeks ago. Id say I'm reasonably presentable, even in a professional setting. I don't have a "tramp stamp", but I'm old enough to recognize that if I don't like something I don't have to look at it... much less ridicule anyone concerning it. Your opinion is just that.. an opinion. Many opinions concerning others and within bias are based on ignorance and ego. I don't have a tramp stamp and don't go about looking at people's asses to see if they have one either. NOTHING forces your eyes down there, but your own need to look. I don't judge others by piercings or tats.. I tend to judge others by their actions and integrity. I admit I find it distracting with facial tats and piercings, but that's because I am forced to look into their faces when speaking to them.. not their ass.

I bet you would find it interesting and humbling if you were judged on YOUR looks, education, economic status, and personal preferences. I'm sure you have been...

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I have two tattoos, none of them visible when I'm dressed. I love them both, and I'm actually considering a third one, an owl or a raven (I'm fascinated with both these birds) . None of my tattoos will "wrinkle", since they are on the upper back and shoulder. They are a way to adorn my body, I love them and how they fit on my body. Both of them signify a period of renewal and transformation in my life; no names or flaming hearts, just symbols for a new me. I feel stronger because of them, I feel more "me", if you know what I mean. Never regretted making them.

I think is also important to choose the right tattoo, at the right moment in your life, and from the right reason.
edit on 9-2-2013 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

During my teen years my father was pretty much absent. That is when he wasn't drunk and being violent. As it happens some of my older male neighbors took it upon themselves to fill in the void that my father wasn't filling. It also happens that they happened to be extreme 1% bikers who were, for the most part, majorly inked-up.

An aside... some of the best, most honest, and decent folks I have ever known. True friends.

Their advice to me, in those years, was never to get tats. They'd all gotten them and found out that tats are a great way for cops to identify you - even if you've taken steps to avoid being identified. This was a lower middle classed neighborhood with pockets of extreme poverty within it - and not a lot of us made it out. Thus those older guys just assumed that I would probably end up in need of the ability to skirt the law and feign alternate identity upon occasion.

As it happens, I did make it out and moved to the area I've lived in since, on the other side of the country.

Not too long after I arrived here, in Georgia, I was at a party, drinking heavily and enjoying the company of a girl I'd just hooked up with. During the conversation the girl asked me for my necklace - an ankh on a silver chain. Being the guy I am, I took it off and handed it to her... but not without stating that I could NOT keep any piece of jewelry with an ankh on it! Whenever I found one, at a flea market, or whatnot, it seemed like only days before somebody stole whatever I'd gotten, or a girl asked if she could have it. This was all said half in frustration, and half in fun.

A guy who was listening piped up and said "There's a needle and India ink in that drawer over there. Why not get an ankh that nobody can take away from you?"

I have OCD, with minimal O but major, major C... and I tend to be an idiot. So, long story short - a few minutes later I was stripped of my shirt and poking my upper left, outer arm with a sewing needle, wrapped with thread, and dipped in India ink. Once I finished, the girl asked if I'd put something on her ankle. A peace sign I think. Being drunk and still very much "C"... I did.

It's actually quite a good single line tattoo - considering that a drunk idiot did it to himself, without a mirror, at a party, in a room filled with curious onlookers. Having said that - it also looks like I might have gotten it in exchange for eight smokes while an inmate of San Quentin. Over the years several ex's and friends have begged me to get it redone, covered-up, anything to get the green to go away. I refuse because... well because it's mine. It's my ankh that I can never give away. It has deep personal meaning and a sentimental value that exceeds any critique of its jailhouse look.

Though I've pondered getting another in the intervening 25-ish years since that night with that sewing needle, I never have. Honestly I am not sure why this is. At one point, several years ago, I had a major, major desire to get either a Templar Cross or a sun disc on the back of my neck. At that time I had plenty of money and no logical reason not to. I even spent three days at a tattoo parlor, with yet another ex girlfriend, as she got the backpiece I gave her for her birthday put in. Though I asked the tattoo artist about doing my neck - when he brought the subject back up, later on, I dismissed him.

I don't know if I am happy about that or not. I guess I am because that ex and I ended up breaking up and if my body were marked from that period of time... I might well see it as a negative.

Then again, maybe that old biker talk congealed with ATS and my paranoia about being easily identified, if on the run, kicked in.

In summary - tattoos are acts of individual expression. Just like any other form of individual expression, you have those who take it seriously, those who do not, those who cherish it, those who regret it later on. Regardless one thing remains true... they are something that nobody can take from you. They are one of the few things in this world you can truly possess for the duration. That is their beauty and also their curse.

~Heff
edit on 2/9/13 by Hefficide because: Meh, proofreading is counterproductive as it always leads me to finding my own errors - and what fun is that?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Regardless one thing remains true... they are something that nobody can take from you. They are one of the few things in this world you can truly possess for the duration.
reply to post by Hefficide

And beyond Heff
I am Lucky enough to have a great dad and family and chose to rebel, to this day I'm asked if I regret any of my tats by my family. The answer is an irrefutable NO.
They are all part of my living and learning experience.
The 1% were a huge part of my formative years as well and some of the only people I still consider truly honest and close friends.
That's the tat I mentioned.
Thanks for the honest reply

Cody
edit on 9-2-2013 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
The way I see it is, that I wouldn't buy a shirt in 1970 and think that I would still keep wearing it for another 50 years and even begin to pretend that I still think it looks good on me all of that time. So why would I not think the same about a Tattoo?

Well put!
The way I see it, I don't need a users manual with illustrations to remember my life.
Besides, if I wanted to be a tough guy, I'd buy the sons of anarchy dvd set and...

My personal feeling, tatoos are for losers who need to show their drama.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

The way I see it is, that I wouldn't buy a shirt in 1970 and think that I would still keep wearing it for another 50 years and even begin to pretend that I still think it looks good on me all of that time. So why would I not think the same about a Tattoo?

Well put!
The way I see it, I don't need a users manual with illustrations to remember my life.
Besides, if I wanted to be a tough guy, I'd buy the sons of anarchy dvd set and...

Ever look through a photo album and say ah jeez I forgot that ?
A tattoo is a mobile permanent reminder of that memory

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

but it's usually a stupid memory from when you where a teenager. one that might be a little embaressing once you pass 30.

i don't like tattoo's but i'll admit some when done by an artist look very good.
but mostly i think they are a stamp of regret.
edit on 9-2-2013 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
edit: my first double post yay!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Rikku

Loving my kids.
Trying to remember to understand
appreciating and acknowledging life lessons
Hardly a regret

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599

Originally posted by g146541

Well put!

Ever look through a photo album and say ah jeez I forgot that ?

Nope, but I have browsed through photos and said....
Damn I remember that day, even though we were so drunk and still got the harley up there!
The only memories we suppress are the ones we don't want to remember.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I get to remember that moment every time I look in the mirror
I can still the guy's face

Priceless

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

thats different i was just refering to tattoo's in general.as i said i don't like them but if it's personal i don;t mind, i just dont want to see, it's none of my buisness.
aslong as it's not a neck tattoo i suppose its ok.

(but also, stop drawing on yourself, get a sketchpad).

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Yeah I tattooed myself, I've been trying to learn. I'm nowhere near good enough to tattoo your avi though.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I have never had a tattoo in my life, but I will get one in honor of my 11 year old cat, it sounds stupid but I have had him all my life, and he is a big part of me and I love him to death.Even when he will be long gone I will never forget him.So to me it makes perfect sense, some people might consider me insane.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Nice thread! I am 23 and wanted to get a tattoo for a few years now. Ive been thinking of where i should put it and the place changed allot but now i finally know where i want it > on my left shoulderblade. (dunno if thats the right word?) the tattoo i have in mind is 2 half arms with a fist with broken shackles. This to me stands for personal salvation and braking the shackles of mental imprisonment. I'm hoping i can have it set this year if i can save enuff money for it. I also want a tiger or a lion as a symbol of strength. and after that i think more tattoo's will come but they will all stand for something important to me. I dont want something because it looks cool it has to have meaning or else its worthless to me.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I have to agree with what Michael said. I see a lot of young people getting tattoos expressing how they feel at their particular age. People's perspectives change over the years. As they get older and become more mature, I'm sure a lot of them are going to wish they never got those tattoos they were so proud about when they were 18 or in their 20's.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I love tats.

I have 4 and want more.

I will be getting one on my left forearm soon. I am getting it for my best friend who passed away very unexpectedly a couple years ago. When I told his mother about my plans for a tattoo for her son she asked me if I would include a specific design in the tattoo. I agreed.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It all depends... I've seen my share of what I can only count as "dumb" tattoos, but I've also seen some amazing ones, and some very meaningful ones.

Personally I got 3. I was a teenager when I designed the first tattoo I wanted... this one I've yet to get. And reading the stories here, it is like another's an ankh. I've always wanted it on my ankle, and one day I will get it.

The first tattoo I actually got, I designed whilst being very drunk. Hahahaha! Having sobered up the next day it was off to the tattooist and having it done. It's very low on my back, so any pair of panties hide it. I love it. Even now, when the lines have blurred, and the writing below it is difficult to read, I still love it to bits. It reminds me of fun carefree days. When discussing tattoos with people, I got no problem pulling my pants down a bit and showing it off, everyone that's seen it has had a good laugh.

It is however something that's not on show. And even in my young and wild days I chose to have it in an area where it's not permanently visible.

My second tattoo is a very small outline one. It's not a visually pleasing one. I didn't get it to look pretty. From my own believes it's for protection, on my right hand (which I use to shake people's hands with). I wanted it on the wrist, but wrist tattoos are on show, even with longsleeved tops, so I chose to have it higher up (it's close to the elbow on the inside of the arm).

My third tattoo, was thought of for years before getting. I knew what I wanted, and I knew where I wanted it. I got it right after getting married, I didn't want to get it before getting married, as I was wearing a stapless dress and I wanted the tattoo between my shoulder blades.

I really do like tattoos, but I don't think they're classy at all. Now, I'm one of those that don't give a damn what I look like, generally wearing paintsplattered clothes, uncombed hair scrunched up in a ponytail and no makeup... but I wanted to look "pretty" on my wedding day. My back looked beautiful, unmarked by any ink.

My third tattoo, is visually beautiful, the tattoo artist did a fab job getting it just the way I wanted. It means a lot to me, both the design itself, and the writing on a banner on it. Again this one is generally hidden, unless I wear a summers top with a low back neckline. When it's on show I get many people questioning me about the saying on it... I generally just repeat the saying without the question mark they add. Hahahaha.

One day, I would like to get more. I still want my ankh on my ankle (inside, not outside), and I also want cherry blossoms up the back of my leg.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join