It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Digital Reconstruction of Angkor Wat

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I couldn't resist posting this. Cambodia's Angkor wat, built in the twelfth century, is a masterpiece of craftsmanship, and a testament to the people who built it. This video by the Smithsonian, is the culmination of many years of work trying to piece together what this temple/palace might have originally looked like...

You can also view it at MSN

It's very majestic and ornate. At some angles in the video, it almost looks a little futuristic in its design. An impressive architectural feat, no matter how you look at it.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
It certainly is beautiful.

I now have yet another place I need to visit and explore.

Thank you for the information.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

gag dam it. It is not allowed to be viewed in my country.....

you know what you tube user...I dont care...get less views...I will not view this if I cant as is. Too much hassle.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz

gag dam it. It is not allowed to be viewed in my country.....

you know what you tube user...I dont care...get less views...I will not view this if I cant as is. Too much hassle.

Click on the msn link, that's why I added it. Just in case.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
sadly i can not watch the video "the uploader has not made this video available in your country" i really hate crap like that

even your second link (MSN) is the same "the video you have requested is not available for your geographic region"

wish i could watch it as it looks interesting.
edit on 9-2-2013 by generik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

same deal.

They make an educational video about a foreign place and then limit the viewers to their own geographic location....

yeah, the very spirit of education.....

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
I couldn't resist posting this. Cambodia's Angkor wat, built in the twelfth century, is a masterpiece of craftsmanship, and a testament to the people who built it. This video by the Smithsonian, is the culmination of many years of work trying to piece together what this temple/palace might have originally looked like...

You can also view it at MSN

It's very majestic and ornate. At some angles in the video, it almost looks a little futuristic in its design. An impressive architectural feat, no matter how you look at it.

Surprised no flags so here you go

I need to get the Smithsonian on my cable. That was cool. I bet it absolutely glowed in the sunlight.
Thanks for posting!
edit on 2/9/2013 by howmuch4another because: Damn auto correct

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
i couldn't watch either link either. what is it with people that limit where the views are from

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyteeny

it is their intellectual property- so they made it for themselves apparently.

I wonder if Cambodians are allowed to watch it......

This is why I hate......so many things....will not list. Dont care anymore....moving on.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I'm going to take issue, as a layman and not an expert. They seem to say that every roof and some of the inside doors and decorations were solid gold. Could there be that much gold available at the time? If so, who has it now, and is there any record of an influx of gold in the later centuries coming from the area? That much gold coming on the market would surely have made a global impact at some point. And a nice find, enjoyed the trip back through time.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by generik
sadly i can not watch the video "the uploader has not made this video available in your country" i really hate crap like that

even your second link (MSN) is the same "the video you have requested is not available for your geographic region"

wish i could watch it as it looks interesting.
edit on 9-2-2013 by generik because: (no reason given)

I understand where you are coming from.

Damnit!!!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

But in all seriousness. What a beautiful place. The amount of detail and just the pure genius that went into the architectural design of that building is mind blowing. It always looks so strange to me to see people wearing loin clothes and dressing so primatively, walking through buildings that dwarf anything we're building in this day and age. Makes you wonder if our entire image of the past is way off.

edit on 9-2-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

great post klassified.
Angkor Wat is a place ii have to visit before i pass on, as is many other ancient sites!
lets hope i win the lottery!

heres a good documentary on Angkor Wat, from the ruler King Suryavarman II (AD 1113-1150), to lifestyles and also a theory or 2 on how it was constructed

*to the above poster, Giorgios got old about 4 years ago
cant you think of something new? it was funny the first 3 -- 4 times, but after 100's maybe 1000's of his face with "ALIENS" or "ALIENS DID IT" is just annoying now!
i am of course speaking for myself but i will hazard a guess theres a few members here sick of it also.
sorry if it seems im picking on you, let me make clear im not, just your post was the one that broke the camels back
edit on 9-2-2013 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Download Hotspot Shield from CNET.Download.com & install, Connect once installed & BOOM!!! Youtube Hula the works. (Sorry for going off topic, it's so people can watch the video.)
Here is the link download.cnet.com...download.cnet.com...

Was in Cambodia a few years ago, visted Angkor Watt absolute amazing place.
Got some pics too, will have a look & try & upload them.

'___'

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I would have loved to have seen this, always been facinated by Angkor Wat, unfortunately the uploader hasn't made it available in my country

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
*OFF TOPIC
for everyone who cant view the video, if you want to then please watch this tutorial
it works for me everytime

hopefully im within the T&C's
just want to help people watch

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
I'm going to take issue, as a layman and not an expert. They seem to say that every roof and some of the inside doors and decorations were solid gold. Could there be that much gold available at the time? If so, who has it now, and is there any record of an influx of gold in the later centuries coming from the area? That much gold coming on the market would surely have made a global impact at some point. And a nice find, enjoyed the trip back through time.

I would say very thin gold overlay. It might not have taken as much gold as we would think. Still, it would be a substantial amount by today's standards. Some areas of the world are very rich in gold. A good question though. Did they mine it? Or trade for it?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I love these reconstructions.
It shows them in all their glory and splendor.
Once viewed in this manner it really shows them as being anything other than primitive

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

The architecture bothers me on two fronts.

1. Give me ten thousand people of average education today (which should be the equivalent of 10,000 geniuses back then) and there's no way we could build such an elaborate expanse of structures. How did they learn to build like this?????

2. I imagine that back then, without TV or radio, the people had to have used their creative minds a LOT more than we do today. Is our modern society actually dumbing us down?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Yes. I think our society has dumbed us down. Education is geared toward fitting into society, and becoming part of the behemoth system. Self sufficiency, outside the box thinking, and possibility thinking are not a focus of our modern society. In essence, we are trained, not educated. There's a difference.

1. Give me ten thousand people of average education today (which should be the equivalent of 10,000 geniuses back then) and there's no way we could build such an elaborate expanse of structures. How did they learn to build like this?????

I still think much knowledge was passed down through the centuries. But somewhere along the line, we lost it all, and started from scratch again.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join