It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell happened to music???

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

That is my favorite song by Neil too! Such strong emotions when you listen to it.

Check out this cover I did of "Don't let it bring you down"

soundcloud.com...

My voice isn't quite there with Neil but I love singing it anyway.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Dubstep and the whole electronic genre can be produced by one person with a computer and a few programs and while some stuff is catchy it's no where near what i'd call an art form.. as for "what happened to music" it's kinda more about your genre of choice.. my choice is safe.. i listen to punk, hardcore.. etc.. and while i admit there's crapy bands in all genres, the majority of bands i love are very passionate and most importantly.. broke! haha so you know they aren't in it for cash and fame. anyway.. it's all about personal preference.

my opinion is if you listen to any mainstream music.. you'll have a tougher time weeding through the garbage to find the hidden gems and they are very well hidden because record companies want and sign bands easily manipulated to their will for higher sells. cash is king. stop complaining about the garbage by downloading instead of buying because buying equals enabling more garbage.

we still have the power we just need to excessive it by not gobbling up everything thrown at us. PSY? WTF! people like this wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for us being so complacent in the swill handed to us.

i personally have bought and own a few thousand cds and it is a direct result of downloading!! and these are on top of the cds i bought pre-computer in a time where you only found similar bands by reading liner notes and actually going out to see bands play shows which i still highly recommend.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

Carly Rose Sonenclar Goes Unplugged - THE X FACTOR USA 2012

There is and always will be talent, you just have to look for it.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Tylerknight

I lived during that time I spoke of . I played it and still do . I know real music . The black contributions were very great and lead the industry but Rap is junk . The Platters ,4 Tops , Nat King Cole and so many others actually had talent . They were great singers with great execution and abliity to create mood . Rap creates havoc . You have settled for what is put forth in your time . Romance was made even better with music from the Platters , that was what they call belly rubbing music with your girl . Try that with rap.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Except that at some point in time music ceased to exist. I think 90s grunge was the first blow. Music is something that is played on instruments that takes actual talent and years of practice to master. A turntable is not an instrument. Sure, you can learn to be 'skillful' at using a turntable, just the same as you can be skillful at running a floor polisher at WalMart.

HERO!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
oh, nevermind
edit on 9-2-2013 by slowisfast because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SimonPeter

I haven't settled for anything. That is very close-minded to think like that I think! I grew up listening to nothing but classic rock and motown music that my dad listened to and it made me a better person because of it! I don't listen to the crap rap that is popular now because it is garbage and a dime a dozen. For you to say that ALL rap is bad is actually quite sad! Real rap is poetry with a beat, not spreading crap into peoples mind, but spreading a positive message about real life and how to better the world.

I don't listen to a lot of rap, I am a folk musician and listen to mostly classic music as well as new folk and indie artists, but I get a lot of influence from hip hop and rap (the good stuff that takes effort, talent, and a hard life lived)

Try to open up to other avenues of music and you will open your world to a much broader, positive life!

Take Eligh, my current favorite hip hop artist, he was a very successful producer and rapper in the late 90's early 2000's and ended up getting into drugs and stopped making music, after several years he got himself into rehab, cleaned up his life and devoted his time to helping children get off the street and drugs. He put out an album that took almost 8 years to produce which is soley about his struggle through life and finding out the hard way that you have to make your own life positive and create a better world for everyone around you.

Tell me how that is bad in any way? Not to mention creating all of the music himself, not sampling anything just himself, a piano, a drum machine and his mind.

Talent comes in many forms it just gets blocked by the bad apples.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Pretty sure this same sentiment was felt towards electric guitars at some point...

probably sounds "easy" to just hit buttons on a computer to make music but I DARE you to try and and come out with something that sounds even remotely musical...

I used to DJ and prefer the sound of vinyl but times are a changing and tables aren't really tables anymore...they are "controllers" that control a virtual tables that use digital audio files instead of vinyl...which is infinitely more practical than toting around a dozen milk crates with alphabetized vinyl...

you think Dub-step is crap well that is an opinion and you are entitled to it but I dare you to try and make a dub-step tune...its harder than you think...

The new age of music is "audio-engineers" knobs, sequencers, samplers and machines...the "band" is a dying breed because logistically its not necessary to have 4+ people playing instruments anymore. Its becoming an impracticality because the computer age has given access to all instruments to single individuals where they don't have to compromise their artistic style with others...they don't have to practice with Dave the drunk who shows up to practice once a week.

That period in music had its time and it was awesome and legends were forged in that era...but its gone...its a whole new game now.

I'll agree there is a lot of prefabricated same ole same ole in the industry and I will call that "pop" music as rarely do they actually make their own music and write their own lyrics...most are simply performers that can sing and look pretty...its all performance with a "soundtrack"...

Jim Morrison predicted this so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone from the classic rock era...I'm an 80's kid but I appreciate and love classic rock as its a very very distinct era in music.

edit on 9-2-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
About the time I turned 35, I noticed that new music was no longer "aimed" at me, and I started to think that popular music had started to suck. It's not that I "got old" and suddenly lost my ability to determine what good music is; what changed is that a new generation is coming up, and they want thier own sounds, something to distinguish themselves from the previous generations. I don't like dubstep, because it's not created "for" me.

I have a theory that each generation of people is so different than the ones before it that they require new sounds that reflect not only the times they live in, but the emotional, mental and spiritual experience of what it's like to be them living in that time period. Of course the new music is going to be different, and of course, the older generations are not going to get and like it. That doesn't necessarily mean that the new stuff is bad, but it doesn't mean your parents are just senile old farts who don't get what's cool, either. It's all subjective, based on the spirit of the age and the soul of the people.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
As a music lover, It really bothers me when small minded people try to talk about what is and isn't "real" music. It's always nothing more that egotistical bull# from people who feel the need to prop themselves up with elitist point of views.

Music is an art form, it can be anything. I love Jimmy Page playing a great tune on the guitar, Led Zeppelin is my favorite band on earth, but I'm also impressed by a mind that can take 3 different songs from different genres, chop them up and rearrange them into an entirely new sounding hip hop beat. It still takes an understanding of music theory to pull it off successfully. It still takes talent for the electro pop artist to arrange his computer sounds in a way that works.

If something touches someones soul and moves them, who are you to tell them it's not music? Honestly if a song is moving me, I couldn't care less about your view on accepted tools for music creation. If I'm jamming away and you bitch and moan because it's not something you accept, I'll just see you as an asshole.

Stop your crying, there is plenty of good music out there, take advantage of the internet, it's an incredible music finding tool. I haven't listened to the radio in years, I haven't had too.

I find new music I love daily, from pretty much every genre out there. If you think new music has one sound that you find on the radio, you only have yourself to blame. Expand your view some more. What you are doing is the music fan's equivalent of self loathing.

all of these songs came out the last few years, this doesn't even scratch the surface I could go on quiet a long time with many different genres.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by notquiteright

The problem is that we are being tricked into believing that this is happening. But the rules have changed. There are labels within labels within labels. That apparently allows some loophole for labels who are owned by one of the big four to still be called "Independent". For example, look at the Alternative Distribution Alliance.

"Alternative Distribution Alliance (ADA) is recognized as the leading distributor of independent music."

Ok, tell me more.

"During 2009, Warner Music Group (WMG) combined Ryko Distribution with ADA to create an independent label service company."

Um, excuse me; how can it be independent if it is owned by Warner?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament

You know what happened to the music, is you got old.

edit on 9-2-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)

Nope. Let's face it, the high point of popular music was in the 60s and 70s when true innovation and creativity was at a peak. In terms of melody, harmony, metre choice, instrumentation it was all happening then. The Baby Boomers had the best music, hands down.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Hardly worth posting after all that. As usual, buried under a ton of time at the bottom of the page.

Nothing happened to music. Its all there. You just got to go and find it. Here. I'll make it easy and bring it around. Everyone is familiar with the big ones and the lasting ones. Its the little known blasts from the past that keep us crying out for more of the same.

This one is one of those timeless classics. Thing is about music? It has to reach out and grab hold of you, take you along its path. Start you moving, and leave you wanting more. This whole album is worth a night of listening or a night or reminiscing...

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I'm a hardcore Led Zeppelin & Pink Floyd fan, so you know I think most music these days is baaad.

However I will say, some of the music that's been out in the last 2 years has vastly improved, there's actually some decent bands out there now. Like Muse.. I know they are not new, but they seem to only now just be getting on the radio and in the mainstream. Or that Irish band. But I would say before that, between 1999 through 2011 there wasn't a single good band or singer out there... nothing but crap.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Tylerknight

Wow, mind blown... That "Preacher's Medley" was just tits! Seriously, how awesome was that? Answer: Very Awesome.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
This one is one of those timeless classics. Thing is about music? It has to reach out and grab hold of you, take you along its path. Start you moving, and leave you wanting more. This whole album is worth a night of listening or a night or reminiscing...

Hell yah!!! here is a cover of that song by one of my 3 favorite bands ..Opeth

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I would just like to make a point from the perspective of a producer with a home studio.

One person on a computer cannot be said to be working less than a member of a band, ever. What I think a lot of commenters may not be aware of is that producers these days have cut most of the elements of the production of a record that would require the participation of a record label out entirely, and we do almost everything ourselves. In many cases, we do sound design, (that means actually CREATING instruments, not just plugging one in) composition, arrangement, mixing, and mastering without any outside assistance. It is becoming increasingly easier and more popular to handle our own publishing and distribution as well.

Compare this to a band member who (in many cases) only knows how to work their own instrument and equipment, doesn't understand even the most basic aspects of sound engineering/processing, and does not possess the knowledge to accurately describe how they want their instrument to sound. (besides 'bigger' or 'louder') I realize there are many very talented musicians who know their way around a studio, but by and large, the stereotypical 'guitar-player' just wants to play his riffs, get paid, and let the engineers worry about all the complicated stuff.

Secondly, people please don't judge electronic music by whatever is most popular. It is just like any other kind of music, the 'poppy' stuff is usually not what people who are looking for complexity and intelligence are going to identify with. There are tons of electronic musicians who aim to make deep music, and regularly succeed. The issue is the ease of access to making your own music. The market is flooded, so it takes some looking to find those artists that you feel are really talented. But please please please don't discount a vast world of creativity just because it is different from the way things were 30+ years ago.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
While I realize this is probably a rather strange thread to begin my ATS account, I felt compelled to reply as music is quite possibly my greatest passion in life. I completely understand the original poster's frustrations and concerns about music; on the surface the landscape of popular music seems very bleak indeed. However, the truth is that the landscape of music has rarely been more robust, vibrant, and alive. There are a myriad of brilliant and talented artists creating some of the most amazing tunes all around the world. If you believe that there is nothing of merit being created these days, well you simply are not delving deeply enough. Now if the OP is simply referring to the top 40 radio nonsense, well that is more a reflection of the ideals of mainstream society as opposed to the nature of true artistry. As I mentioned before, music is the fabric the holds my soul, my consciousness together, and I am very excited to share it with anyone willing to listen. So, if you are interested, here is a small sampling of the artist whom I believe are creating true music today(hope you all find something you truly enjoy!):

BATTLES
TV ON THE RADIO
MUSE
VETIVER
FLEET FOXES
DEVENDRA BANHART
DEAD CAN DANCE
ELBOW
DELTA SPIRIT
RICHARD HAWLEY
THE FLAMING LIPS
WE ARE TREES
LOST IN THE TREES
FLYING LOTUS
THE DODOS
MONSTERS OF FOLK
A.A.BONDY
BOWERBIRDS
ALT-J
SIGUR ROS
GRIZZLY BEAR
MAX RICHTER
VIOLENS
SWOD
FROM THE MOUTH OF THE SUN
CAVEMAN
TUNNG
MOGWAI
THIS WILL DESTROY YOU
EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY
STATELESS
SHEARWATER
JACASZEK
LIBRARY TAPES
LUSTMORD
YANN TIERSEN
MY MORNING JACKET (JIM JAMES)
DAVID BYRNE (WITH ST. VINCENT as well)
WILCO
THE NATIONAL
THE HORRORS
IRON & WINE
TAKEN BY TREES
OTHER LIVES
ANDREW BIRD
CLINT MANSELL/KRONOS QUARTET
MUM
GODSPEED YOU! BLACK EMPEROR
MY BRIGHTEST DIAMOND
CLOGS
GREAT LAKE SWIMMERS
RYAN ADAMS
LOCAL NATIVES
FOREST FIRE
THE BLACK ANGELS
HAUSCHKA
BOMBAY BICYCLE CLUB
EDWARD SHARPE & THE MAGNETIC ZEROS
TUNE-YARDS
CANON BLUE
EFTERKLANG
ARMS AND SLEEPERS
PATRICK WATSON
SIN FANG
ARCADE FIRE
COLD WAR KIDS
MENOMENA
PLANTS AND ANIMALS
THE HEAVY
LEVEK
JOHANN JOHANNSSON
THE BLACK HEART PROCESSION
SEA WOLF
LORD HURON
TWO DOOR CINEMA CLUB
HERE WE GO MAGIC
WHITE DENIM
BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE

Alright, that should do for now even if this is merely scratching the surface....

I'll gladly continue to post more artists if anyone is interested !
edit on 9-2-2013 by SilverSilkSun because: Forgot one!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Music taste is subjective??

Everyone must love my taste in music!!

OOO!! good song, i prefer her work with the Warm Inventions..

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by WP4YT

Well...

I am a big fan of "instrumental art rock" or "post rock" whatever it's to be called. No or very little vocal. Lots of progressive build up.

Russian Circles formed in 2004.

Red Sparowes. Formed in 2003.

Pelican. Formed in 2000.

Explosions in the Sky. Formed in 1999.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join