It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell happened to music???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
It's all about the Bluegrass.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I think it all boils down to people from all walks of life just have different tastes (though will admit record companies try and shove certain artists and styles down the average consumers throat). I agree with Heff that these days I find I listen to some stuff that my mom listened to that I despised in my teens (Kenny Rogers, Johnny Cash, etc.). I just have a deeper appreciation for them now than I did then.

My musical tastes are all over the place including classical, some country, some 80's pop, true rock legends such as Elvis Presley, alot of classic rock (The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult). In fact alot of metal from the 60's to current times. In the late 80's I started listening to Megadeth, Metallica, almost all the hair bands of the era including classic rockers that converted (Kiss etc.). Hell I even listened to some christian metal such as Stryper. In the 90's I listened to grunge, at the time I was a little annoyed......not at the music really, just at the fact that grunge almost killed the metal hair bands. I actually rather liked Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and alot of other grunge music.

These days I find myself liking all the previous stuff I listened to in addition to some dance/techno. My favorite from current times is Symphonic Metal. My new true love is bands like Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, Visions of Atlantis, etc.

People just have different tastes, I only wish record companies would push a variety of music instead of the one they try and make the flavor of the month. That and I really wish symphonic metal was more popular in the states than it is. I was lucky enough to attend one of only 3 concerts in the US on Within Temptations last tour.

In closing, just enjoy the music that you do like, if they were truly all the same and no variety music would hold no real magic.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

There are always going to be those who experiment with music and sound. Sometimes it turns out great, and sometimes not so great.

So just remember, it could always be worse. Or better, depending on your perspective.

Roger Waters and Ron Geesin - "Our Song"

edit on 2/9/2013 by Klassified because: add title

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I think their are just more styles of music currently and not all of them are going to appeal to everyone.

My 3 favorite bands are Opeth, Pink Floyd and Dead Can Dance.
The common thread there would be warm , evocative male vocals though DCD obviously has the amazing voice of Lisa Gerrard. For as much as I listen to those bands I also listen to loud and more aggressive things like Novembers Doom, My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Type O Negative, Tapping the Vein and even Slayer.

The thing that I think about current music is I dont know how many of any of the popular bands currently will have a timeless quality. It's not hard to imagine someone putting on Animals or hearing Comfortably Numb in 20 years and falling for Pink Floyd. I think their are a few songs like the Hendrix version of All Along the Watchtower *go BSG!* or The Animals version of House of the Rising Sun that at any point in the future will still sound amazing the first time someone hears it. Sabbath, Led Zepplin, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, U2 , a few other bands I think will always appeal to people. I just don't know that any current band has that about them.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I'd like to interject for a sec. and note that (IMO) the thread is taking a wrong turn. It should not be focused on who's taste is better or what genre is good or bad. That always leads to nowhere, and I'd say nowhere good. I'd like to see the thread focus more on who is in control of output (at least the highly promoted musical output). It is not musicians, it is businessmen. That is detrimental to the art. We all know that musicians do not rise to fame and fortune because they are the best songwriters or musicians out there. The recording industry targets naive people with the right look that are marketable and will bring most of the profits back to the label rather than it going to the artist. These artists aren't meant to have longevity, because the longer they stay in the business, the more savvy they get, and the more money they negotiate for themselves. It is a musical case of planned obselecense. Use them for a quick overnight fortune, then on to the next sucker. I'd like to see musicians in control, creating art for the sake of art, and not money.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by notquiteright

There are countless people who do just that. The problem is that without the businessmen, these folks don't get advertising, exposure, talk show spots, nor stadiums to perform in. They end up in bars, small clubs, living in vans or cars ( at least when they're touring ).

One of my favorite artists ( Dax Riggs ) falls into the category. He had some exposure when he first started out ( in a band called Acid Bath ) but quickly developed a huge distrust of the music industry. Since then? Often it is a challenge just to find his new stuff, or to find out when he's going to be in my area. FTR... those who love Morrison should check him out. IMO he's a modern incarnation of that same spirit - though he despises that comparison I am told.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
What ever happened to freedom of speech, if you dont like it dont listen to it simple as that.
Are you going to tell him how he should be making his music.

Check out when dubstep producer teams up with full orchestra

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I think that this is a great time for music. The big corporate music industry has lost a lot of its grip on music.
The Internet has been a great way to remove the middleman and for bands all over the world to be connected with fans. It's a great way to discover new music from all over the place. No one necessarily has to control what you listen to. There are lots of bands out there - just go beyond popular radio to find them.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I think music has gone down hill since these guys were around.

edit on 9-2-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by thebtheb

This is why I say that now is the time to put the major labels out of business. A campaign needs to be organized to boycott major labels and encourage everyone to support independant musicians and buy direct from the musician when possible.The general public needs to be educated on this. I would love to see a music industry in which artists can make a living, many of them, rather than a few select people raking in more than they could ever spend.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

The second one was a very interesting song (Flight Facilities - Crave You). Thank you for it.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Blimey, there is so much good music out there, we are actually spoilt for choice! Yet people still complain. I'm not a fan of dubstep at all and I think Skrillex (are you Corey Feldman in disguise?) is pretty rubbish. However, there are a bajillion other artists I can appreciate.

You can't write all modern music off in this manner and it would be wrong of you to think all music produced electronically is somehow inferior to traditional instrument played music. As someone said earlier, many producers have to deal with all kinds of Hardware as well as Software to make their music.

I find guitar based music a little dull to my tastes, but I can see how others like it. Having been brought up in the 80s with a lot of synth based theme tunes to popular tv shows, I think it's natural that ''my generation' (and im 34), like electronic music. I'm surpised that a 28 year old is so blinkered

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I dont intend to be cynical, at all. But for the purpose of your own enjoyment, I want to say Kesha (Ke$ha) did in fact release an acoustic album a few months ago, and I dare to say you will like very much a few of it's song. Since you miss the old style music, give it a try, let me know what you think.

Her voice sounds different in both of these songs, one may give the impression of being mainstream while the other portrays a deeper auditive experience.

edit on 9-2-2013 by doodo123hosky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I don`t know what happened to it but I do know this, if you can`t play the instruments and sing the lyrics during a power outage then it ain`t music

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by enament

You know what happened to the music, is you got old.

edit on 9-2-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)

Dubstep is to music what a computer virus is to music.

And if they had computers in the 50's the adults would have said the same thing about Bill Haley and his Comets.

It's the way music evolves, every musical generation since the beginning of the CME (Common Music Era) has something very unforgiving to say about the newer generation, Rock and Roll said it about the 60's rock, 60s about Disco, etc etc, every ten years starting in 1955 a new style of music emerges to replace the old, and a new Musical Decade is born...

personally I can listen to just about anything from classical to country, except for the really hardcore Rap, i just personally do not like it, although i recognise the place and cultural significance it has..

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
You have to get past a lot of bad music to find anything decent.
Good music is out there. Its just not what you hear anymore on radio's or TV. Thank god for the internet!
Please don't bash producers and electronic music or even dubstep for that matter. Don't let one artist kill the whole genre. Hate when people say music made on the computer is not music when compared to a band. Don't get that.
Some of my favourites.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
I don`t know what happened to it but I do know this, if you can`t play the instruments and sing the lyrics during a power outage then it ain`t music

If your argument was valid, it would definitely explains why one of the biggest artist of this generation have succesfully manage to play piano and sing when this has happened to her. But not just that, when there is no instrument, look how she gives one of the most amazing power outage performance, without instruments at 00:50!

I guess an enterteiner for this youth just sticks with euphoric and arousing performances, a few drum beats, and the crowd is pleased.

edit on 9-2-2013 by doodo123hosky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

There's always been crappy, empty "music." Most top 40 sucks and one has to frequent grimy clubs or know the right places and people to find the good stuff... and innovative, soulful music usually only resonates with a few people and rarely gets commercial recognition because there's not enough money involved.

It is weird that there hasn't been any new stuff in decades... in music, art or fashion, that is. Just recycling and remixing, which I guess might be counted as new... sorta.

I really wish there would be something new that makes me feel old... but not yet. Here's hoping.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by enament

You know what happened to the music, is you got old.

edit on 9-2-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)

Dubstep is to music what a computer virus is to music.

And if they had computers in the 50's the adults would have said the same thing about Bill Haley and his Comets.

It's the way music evolves, every musical generation since the beginning of the CME (Common Music Era) has something very unforgiving to say about the newer generation, Rock and Roll said it about the 60's rock, 60s about Disco, etc etc, every ten years starting in 1955 a new style of music emerges to replace the old, and a new Musical Decade is born...

personally I can listen to just about anything from classical to country, except for the really hardcore Rap, i just personally do not like it, although i recognise the place and cultural significance it has..

The essence of music never evolves, so dont try to make an intellectual invalid argument if you dont know your facts. Dubstep may be a thing from the future, but most of it's loud distortion we have heard before many times.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

24, always had problems with what people my age enjoy. Never enjoyed nurock, the stuff they play on the radio. Never liked anything that gets played on the radio, really. Some of the classic rock is good, but radio stations tend to skip the best album tracks.

How much Floyd do you hear that isn't from DSotM or The Wall? Not much. Great albums, yes, but Floyd had a ton of other great albums.

Same with all the great classic rock bands.

Then there's the bands that nobody plays: Granicus, Shinki Chen, Highway Robbery, Dust, Arzachel etc.

There is good rock music being made these days, there are good other types being made too. Check these out:
ripplemusic.blogspot.com...
www.thesodashop.us...
theobelisk.net...
www.facebook.com...

There are a ton of others. You may not like all the music there, but I promise there are some real gems.

Here are some good bands you wont see around:
generatorohm.bandcamp.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
mothershipusa.bandcamp.com...
indianhandcrafts.bandcamp.com...
www.facebook.com...
thebanddeadweight.bandcamp.com... That's my band, I'm shameless.

But really, there is a ton, a tooooonnn of great music being created, the radio culture is stagnant and dying.

edit on 9-2-2013 by Mr Headshot because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2013 by Mr Headshot because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join