It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell happened to music???

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
There are exceptions to most rules:

Even if you don't like it at all you can probably see the skill required.

I would definitely consider this guy to be playing an instrument. Even if it is a sampler/sequencer/drum machine gizmo (the gizmo he's hammering away at is called a Maschine made by Native Instruments and is basically a nice midi controller).

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

No of course not, music used to doesn't equal acoustic instrument, you could use a digital one or you could bang two rocks together and make music if that's the sound you need. They both a accomplish the same thing, so I don't see the difference. Sound in time is probably the shortest description of music I've heard and the best to in my opinion and sound is not defined as coming exclusively from and acoustic instrument made my humans. I takes a very long time to master the computer as a musical instrument too. Nobuo Uematsu created music using synths like this one for example, limited by the capabilities of the Playstation of course he could not use a real symphonic orchestra so he composed with a Roland synth, quite amazing, a song

and this song called Elation Station by Infected Mushroom is quite beautiful as well, they do use electric guitars a bit in their songs too

or El Pico by Ratatat are excellent blend of guitar (processed so that they sound almost like a synth sound) and synthesized sounds.

This song by the Swedish band The Knife is also a quite talented use of electronic sounds mixed with some acoustic instruments, they have true vocalist too, none of that sampled stuff.

As an extra I'll include a incredible live performence by a Japanese koto ensamble, they are covering the song Lateralus by Tool

edit on 10/2/2013 by Konoyaro because: Added the last video

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I saw this last night, very very interesting, real or not. Makes sense to me.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It is so very rare, so I get excited when someone younger than myself, and I'm only 34 by the way, learns to 'PLAY' a guitar and appreciates what music was and should be. So, with that, I give you this link, 'cause I've no idea how to put the video on the page? However, ENJOY...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CashStronomer
It is so very rare, so I get excited when someone younger than myself, and I'm only 34 by the way, learns to 'PLAY' a guitar and appreciates what music was and should be. So, with that, I give you this link, 'cause I've no idea how to put the video on the page? However, ENJOY...

www.youtube.com...

I don't think it's all that rare at all(as far as playing, playing well is something else) most young people have a guitar knocking about their room

I will cheat a little as this guy has 3 years on you, but still, not an old artist by any means

how's that for talent

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandStrategy

Very good indeed! Percussion and 12 string!
My skills are no where near that of these guys, and more or less limited to the Rockabilly Roots and other of the era. Here's one more for the percussion, I love how this guy does a 'snare drum' with a sardine can lid over his pick guard...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Konoyaro

I have loved the talent that is Nobuo Uematsu for many year's now! ...okay the fact I am a HUGE Final Fantasy fan may make me a tad biased...but he has to be one of the most respected and talented video game composer's of all time! ( just as a side note, he was a self taught musician and had no formal music education or piano or keyboard lesson's)

But I have to say, my favourite work by him as got to be "One Winged Angel" taken from FFVII...a truly epic piece of music for it's time in gaming history!

Followed by "To Zanarkand" taken from FFX....a truly beautiful piece of music

I actually think that video game music as been highly under rated for many year's....well except by dedicated gamers...but I believe there is a LOT of musical talent lurking around gameplay and cutscene's of many many video game's!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandStrategy

I have been listening to John Butler's Ocean for years

Be sure to check other uploads of it on Youtube. He plays it quite differently each time...

Such a powerful song

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
This guy is my favorite guitarist.

Amazing talent...

This one is groovy ^_^

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

A few years old, but he's still going and not dubbing any steps.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Music tends to evolve in gradual-yet-steady waves over time, unless you count tacky fads as "overnight innovation" (see: Macarena, Cha Cha slide). The question "What happened to music?" sounds similar to somebody asking a friend "What happened to Bob?", not knowing that Bob was put into a coma after being in a terrible car accident yesterday. And that being said, someone asking "what happened to music?" must have been in a coma for a good while...

Nobody can take the ability to make great music from us, ever. It's there, it just won't be conveniently delivered to us. Seek and you shall find. You don't even need faith for this one... If you can't find great music no matter what you do, and you are that passionate, then make it yourself.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
i guess now we will have to change from.

Dude you rock!

to

Dude you step!

i don't think so.

i could pick so many more, starting from the mid 60's to the mid 00's.

this was one of our partyin tunes in high school.

bet you won't ever see any steppers partyin in the back yard like this.

and you will never see games like.

steppin hero or dubsteppin band.

edit on 10-2-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-2-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Music is the audible manifestation of another persons creativity. Personally I don't enjoy rap, dubstep, country but I know for a fact that the artists performing in those genres are making their fans feel something..either happiness, sorrow, adrenaline or whatever they were trying to accomplish. I can respect that. Not everyone is going to like the things I like nor will I like what everyone else likes. I just don't think its for anyone else to say "this is music while that is not" ..music is something different to everyone ...

Anyone that has seen the movie The Mist is very familiar with this legendary band from the crushing closing sequence of that film..For me they have been a staple for the past 23 years and I could imagine listening to them 23 years form now... Dead Can Dance: The Host of Seraphim (live)

Porcupine Tree: Live

edit on 10-2-2013 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I read in an earlier post someone stating that Debbie Harry invented Rap, this statement is so far from the truth. It was producer Fab Five Freddy that introduced Debbie Harry to rap music, suggesting to her that she should include it in her song Rapture..She even gave him a mention in the first line of her rap which begins "Fab Five Freddie told me everybody's fly."

Back to the point. Let me enlighten those who believe Dubstep is something new. It is actually a re-hash of a much older genre of music called Dub. Dub was a phrase coined by the producers of reggae music in Jamaica in the 60's and 70's. They were the pioneers of Dub music. Dub was created by experimenting with the 'B' side of vocal tacks. The vocals were removed and the producer used his mixing skills to create a unique sound, quite separate from the original, echoes and sound effects were used to great effect. If you were to mention the name King Tubby's studio to anyone who knows this genre they would acknowledge that he was the pioneer of this form of music and lead the way for all that followed.

There have been many others. I will name a few here, Scientist in the 80's who was King Tubby's student, and Jah Shaka from the UK took this form of music to new heights but it still remained very underground.

Dub became popular amongst the urban sound systems in the UK in the 70's and 80's. It was adopted by the Rastafarian community where the music developed a political as well as a spiritual aspect. The music was used to convey the feelings of the UK Rastafarian urban black youth. Themes of social deprivation, racial oppression and the eventual downfall of the "Babylon" system were conveyed. Jah Shaka lead the way with his "King David Style" crashing down the walls of Babylon with the drum and bass of the music.

Jah Shaka sound system played to packed community centres and town halls all over the UK in the 70's and 80's. Sounds systems would challenge each other vying for superiority in music and numbers of followers. Sound clashes were regularly arranged to establish which sound system was should be ranked as no.1 in the UK.

Jah Shaka is now world famous, he has played his music and his sound system all over the world. The music itself is all about vibration (vibe). The bass and drum create an emotional response within the listener. It cannot be conveyed in words it must be heard and felt. His "trademark signature" sound effect - a police siren, mixed, filtered and distorted, played at various speeds was always used as a metaphor to convey the "police state" (Babylon) and their fight against it. This genre of music became known as Roots Dub. It still has a massive underground following to this day.

From those humble beginning dub re-surfaced in the late 80's and 90's with the creation of Drum and Bass and Jungle (Urban Jungle). These were created by the next generation of urban black youth in the UK. They took dub to a whole new level, utilising the latest technology, drum machines, samplers, keyboards and loops. They created a whole new genre of music but at the heart of it was, "Dub" and the quantized drum beat from the heart of the African.

Drum and Bass and jungle became popular in the UK rave scene which brought it to a much wider audience due to the popularity of electronic dance music. Raves also brought social groups together which were very separate up to that point in time. Blacks Whites and Asian youths came together in the illegal raves of the 90's.

Drum and bass and jungle are now 20 years old and Dub much much older. A new generation of urban youth have taken the genre and made it their own. Namely Dubstep. Dubstep is another offspring of Dub and was borne out of the UK grime scene.

Jah Shaka, now 30 years on is still playing Rastafarian Dub music to the people, and the people still love it.

Chemical Brother et al owe a lot to these pioneers of intrumental music.

Check out the links below for a taste of the past and the future.

A much younger Jah Shaka in a clip from the Movie "Babylon" 1980

Jah Shaka in Japan

A session with some diehard roots dub fans.

And finally a classic UK dub from the 80's - Kunte Kinte

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LizardSlicks
There are exceptions to most rules:

Even if you don't like it at all you can probably see the skill required.

I would definitely consider this guy to be playing an instrument. Even if it is a sampler/sequencer/drum machine gizmo (the gizmo he's hammering away at is called a Maschine made by Native Instruments and is basically a nice midi controller).

ha ha, first thing i thought of when i saw that was the toy 'Super Simon"

not quite as many buttons but still makes the same kind of noise.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrandonD

Originally posted by Thecakeisalie
This is my first rant, so I'm going to make it a good one.

Yes, Skrillex and Chris Brown and pretty much all American pop music is garbage.

Same with movies and pretty much any artistic endeavor, the stuff being fed to mainstream culture is absolute trash.

BUT there is in fact good stuff out there, good music/movies/art, you just have to love the medium enough to be willing to dig.

But this wasn't always the case. The Top 40, particularly in the '60s and '70s was full of great bands and music. Maybe it really all boils down to the mighty dollar. There are only 6 big media conglomerates that control what we hear and see. Therefore, the music now is all about the quick buck and hence, it will be the most dumbed-down, lowest-common denomenator crap.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I am glad to see other people are noticing this. Perhaps more importantly than the sounds of the music itself, the question is how will the lyrical content of popular music affect us in the long run?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Antonio is really good . But for a real lesson in guitar go to youtube and view Tommy Emmanual playing Guitar Most Beautiful . This guy is a super preformer/entertainer . He plays better than Doyle Dikes on a Maton Guitar with a special pick up .He makes me ashamed to say I play guitar .

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thecakeisalie
Am I right or am I jaded?

Right.

Let's also lament the death of great live performances.

Freddie the great.

Imagine any contemporary performer silencing an overflowing Wembly Stadium with anticipation.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Very informative post. British rap also got its real start as an extension of dub(dub poetry) if I'm not mistaken. Guys like Linton Kwesi Johnson

i'll add another dub track that i like

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join