It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Separation of Church and State vs.Separation of Religion and State

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Is there a difference? Just wondering how ya stand on this. I see alot of support for keeping Christianity out of secular schools, and rightfully so..

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
In my opion we should use the words, In God we trust, or the pledge alegance with the word God, why you ask we are a country that was founded on Religious freedom, but I believe the liberals are changing more than the use of the word god in Schools, public buildings ect. think about it we have been saying the word God in goverment since the signing of the decleration, its even on our money ect, but the liberals want to change that for what reason?, just like they want to change the "Christmas vaction" to "Winter Vaction". I bleieve that the core values of our Nation are being pushed out the door so we become a nation of Pleasers.

If you don't like to say GOD, or the pledge of Alegance then don't, if you don't like the saying Merry Christmas then don't use it but don't tell us what to do just becuase you don't like it.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I don't think there's a difference. Religion and religious references shouldn't be used in secular government. There should be no "prayer breakfast" for government employees or prayers in any government meeting. If I had my way, "God" wouldn't be a part of government at all, nor on our coins or in the pledge. And the Ten Commandments wouldn't be in government buildings, there would be no prayer in school and if a school DID teach anything about religion (which I don't think they should), they would not give preference to one religion over another.

I have nothing against kids celebrating the secular side of holidays, such as Christmas and Easter. And I say "Merry Christmas" myself.

My position is that we have bigger battles to fight, so I don't really support a scouring of government for all signs of religious preferences and rituals because it's an insignificant problem that will correct itself over the years to come. As long as laws aren't being made to align our society with religious law, I'm good.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Not really.

That clause just basically means that the government shall not endorse any religion. As for what can or cannot be allowed in schools, well that's up for Congress and the Supreme Court to work out, not really addressed in the Constitution.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Not really.

That clause just basically means that the government shall not endorse any religion. As for what can or cannot be allowed in schools, well that's up for Congress and the Supreme Court to work out, not really addressed in the Constitution.

So it's your opinion that the Government doesn't endorse any religion within it's walls? Just double checking for clarity, because, well.. It's not true

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Antidisestablishmentarianism, look it up OP!.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
Antidisestablishmentarianism, look it up OP!.

My teacher John Curtis, in gr. 8 made us learn this word and spell it correctly. Apparently, we had short attention spans, however they didn't shove drugs in my face for it

new topics

top topics

join