It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sabbath

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I am confused. Which is the correct day for the sabbath? Which day needs our rest?

Friday 6 pm- Sat 6 pm

Sunday 12 am- 6 pm

monday 12am- 6pm

Everyday 12am-12pm

Labor day

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Leuan

As I wrote in one of my uncylcopedian articles, Sunday is considered the Lord's day by all but Jews, Muslims, atheists, Baha's, Rastafari, Scientologists,Buddhists, Wiccans, Jains, Hindus, Sikhs, Taoists, the collective tribes of Egyptian, African, Celtic and Roman polytheists, Seventh-Day Adventists, Hedonists, native people's, Gypsies, and other unwashed hippies.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
A better question might be; why would an omnipotent being need rest? Of course we don't need to entertain that rabbit hole in this thread. In regards to the OP; Sunday is the first day of the week, Saturday is the last. As the story goes, the lawd "rested" on the (seventh) last day.

Christians turned to Sunday during the time when they were gobbling up pagan rights and rituals. Sunday was big with Mithraic followers, of course Mithra being the "Sun God", and he, the demigod himself, lends his name to the day Sun Day.

edit on 9-2-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The Bible just says "on the seventh day, he rested", and most religions based on The Bible seem to think that on the seventh day, man should rest as well because the Lord did.

Religions can't even agree as to which day of the week is the Seventh Day.

Labor Day is definitely NOT a religious holiday though, it was originally created for unions. not religious elements.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
The Bible just says "on the seventh day, he rested", and most religions based on The Bible seem to think that on the seventh day, man should rest as well because the Lord did.

Labor Day is definitely NOT a religious holiday though, it was originally created for unions. not religious elements.

We were taught that Labor day was a rest day for the men in white? wtf!

My question still stands, who named the day?

In context, some people still believe the church walls are made of bricks, when clearly, they're of clay

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

No, labor day in America was moved away from the original May Day, which is celebrated by workers around the world. May Day was organized in America by unions to honor the Haymarket martyrs.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Leuan

Everyday 12am-12pm

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The true Sabbath is from Friday evening to Saturday evening as far as I know. I'm not a seventh-day adventist, but I know that the Israelites had Saturday as the last day of the week and that their days began in the evening. Saturday is even still considered the last day of the week. I don't understand why people consider Sunday to be the Sabbath. Can they really not think independently of their church houses?

I frankly don't care when people celebrate the Sabbath, but it clearly is Saturday.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by punisher97

In the Judeo religion, yes, Saturday. That's the sabbath that Jesus and his mom and all his guys kept. All of them, until they died.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss
A better question might be; why would an omnipotent being need rest?

Maybe because he didn't "need" to rest, but did it as an example to people who don't understand the concept.

Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27)

There ya go, OP -- the Sabbath is what you make it. Worship God in your own good time, don't let anyone tell you it has to be Friday night or Sunday from 11:00AM - 12:00PM. By Christ's own words, it doesn't matter when you do it, so long as you do do it.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Friday sundown to Saturday sundown is the true Sabbath. Nowhere at anytime did God change that day, or give permission for that day to be changed. The Roman Catholic Church, thinking they are above the law of God, are the ones who caused the majority to observe the Sunday.

Here is a link to a good video on the subject. It covers a lot of the Bible verses that people try to use to justify observing a different day.

www.john1429.org...

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I hate to throw a wrench at the workings but Monday is the first day of the week which means Sunday is the last.
Its as obvious as the nose on my face. Count them down:

Mon one
Tue two
Wed three
Thurs four
Fri five
Sat six
Sun seven

Saturday is Satan's day, the sixth, which is why it always tries to usurp Sunday which is God's day, the seventh. But truth is Satan's day precedes God's day.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juran

I hate to throw a wrench at the workings but Monday is the first day of the week which means Sunday is the last.
Its as obvious as the nose on my face. Count them down:

Mon one
Tue two
Wed three
Thurs four
Fri five
Sat six
Sun seven

Saturday is Satan's day, the sixth, which is why it always tries to usurp Sunday which is God's day, the seventh. But truth is Satan's day precedes God's day.

So my learned friend, you say Jesus celebrated the sabbath on something called "Satan's" day? That his mom did as well, and, let's see, Matthew Mark Luke 'and John, and Peter Paul, and last but not least, Mary of Magdealene all said "Yay, it's Satan's day tomorrow" and celebrated and honored Satan? Or are you talking about satin?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

So my learned friend, you say Jesus celebrated the sabbath on something called "Satan's" day? That his mom did as well, and, let's see, Matthew Mark Luke 'and John, and Peter Paul, and last but not least, Mary of Magdealene all said "Yay, it's Satan's day tomorrow" and celebrated and honored Satan? Or are you talking about satin?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Golly! you have me saying all kind of things. Did M&M&L&J&P&P& last but not least M of M really all say, 'yay, its Satan's day tomorrow'?

If they were referring to Saturday then yes they were but to be honest I don't see why they would so I strongly suspect that you have arrived at a misunderstanding, not as to what I said but as to what M&M& company were getting up to two thousand years ago.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Jesus didn't purposely celebrate Sabath on a Saturday in defiance of Satan , kind of a spit in the face. I can easily imagine Jesus doing that. But don't be fooled, my equally learned friend, Sunday is the seventh day of the week, God's own day.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Juran

I could just as easily say Tuesday is the first day of the week. This thread is about the sabbath, the last day of the week, the day of rest. And all those people who wrote the bible honored the sabbath on Friday night into Saturday. The day of rest was Saturday, and then Sunday started the new week. So yes, it is the first day of the week, but didn't genesis say the guy worked for the six days and rested on the seventh (Saturday)?
edit on 10-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Juran

double post, damn roving and hover-click arrow

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
After reading some very compelling scriptural evidence, I tend to lean towards the 7th Day Adventist point of view. Which would be practicing Sabbath on Saturday, or, the last day of the month. Not only that, but I'm nearly convinced that the Sunday Sabbath may actually be the mark of the beast. I guess the bible speaks of the Sabbath as the mark by which God will know his people. And a bunch of other things lead to the Catholic Church being the actual Beast itself. Just do a search for "sabbath mark of beast"and there are some sites explaining it. When I first read the theory, it was on a site that had like 20 reasons with scriptural backup telling why its true.I can't find it right now but there's a few that have most of it, but it might not be convincing without the full argument put forth in the site I found the first time... Anyway, if you're interested, you'll figure out what works best for you. The site I saw had a YouTube video to go along with each piece of evidence put forth, along with a text version if you didn't want to watch the video.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3n19m470
After reading some very compelling scriptural evidence, I tend to lean towards the 7th Day Adventist point of view.

Unless you skipped the New Testament while looking for your compelling scriptural evidence, you should have come to the conclusion that God doesn't care about superficial technicalities. Debates about "what day is the Sabbath" are the same sorts of thing that Christ specifically taught against when he decried the Pharisees and their nitpicky natures. If you think that salvation hangs on whether you worship on Saturday, rather than on Sunday, then you subscribe to a theology of salvation by works, and works alone.

We are saved through Christ, not through a book, a day, or specific words, phrases or acts. Believing otherwise is not a Christian perspective.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

You are right I think, but people like to observe the Sabbath on a specific day rather than just randomly in which case I would suggest Saturday because being as it is Satan's day you are proving your allegiance to God by making Satan's day God's day.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Juran

I'm don't do sabbaths either. But on the question of if Jesus and his crew celebrated days, the passover meal shows that they did. And when he was a kid, on Christmas Jesus got presents! Probably cake too.

With all this talk of Satan's day, doesn't your avatar have horns? Some people would say that's a Satan image, but historically they represent Pan, who the christians wanted to whack so they named his image Satan. This got the ancient sheeple all scared and bothered about Pan, a brilliant piece of image molding (although Pan still dances!)..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join