It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which animal, bird, or insect would win Olympic medals?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
If the Olympic Games were open to all lifeforms, who would win?

Events such as the high jump (winged high jump, non-winged high jump), the 100 m sprint (winged and non-winged events), the marathon (winged and non-winged), short and long distance speed swimming events, weight-lifting (overall and by relative size), and others.

Humans would win the bike races and the pole vault, and in the winter games maybe the ice skating events, hockey and the like. Fleas and ants would warm up in colonies.

I've thought of this often while watching birds and insects, and decided to post the thread upon seeing an interesting thread about squids leaping from the water and coasting to escape predators (www.abovetopsecret.com...). The entire animal kingdom would march, fly, or crawl into the stadium, and those who weren't immediately eaten would compete for King (Cobra) and country.

Let the games began! (The opening ceremony, highlighted by butterflies and peacocks, and the ceremonial fire lit bya firefly, of course, is a treat for the viewers)
edit on 9-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I was told the perigrine falcon was the fastest animal in the world. Was watching someone in my village train one the other day, had this thing zooming over our heads. Was amazing

edit on 9-2-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I was told the perigrine falcon was the fastest animal in the world. Was watching someone in my village train one the other day, had this thing zooming over our heads. Was amazing

Falcons are one of the most deadly predators,a that was a very fun video, good find! - but that falcon was aided by humans and put into a freefall from an airplane, an instant disqualification.

I wonder what bird can fly the highest (would probably win the Winged High-Jump, although the tiny lifeforms in the upper atmosphere would file an objection)? As for short speeds, we once had a good size mouse infestation in the house (I made the mistake of feeding a couple of them one winter, not a good idea), and when they ran by at full speed we couldn't see them, we had the sense of a blur. I don't know what speed they moved relative to their size, but in short sprints these things were extremely fast.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Here's a list that Animals Zone.com came up with. A Cheetah, of course, winning the non-winged sprint (or would it, relative to size?), a sailfish winning the swimming contests (distance I can see, but would it win the short dashes from a "standing" start?) etc.

www.animals-zone.com...

I have to question some of their winners. Insect jumpers would likely beat the frog, and a marathon is a set distance of 26+ miles, not an endurance run of unlimited distance.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Well for the strength category if you go by strength to size/weight ratio the bugs have it. But here is a list if you wanna see how some animals,insects and people stack up. While some people say rhino beetle this says otherwise. Let the games begin!!

izismile.com...
edit on 9-2-2013 by CitizenJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenJack
Well for the strength category if you go by strength to size/weight ratio the bugs have it. But here is a list if you wanna see how some animals,insects and people stack up. While some people say rhino beetle this says otherwise. Let the games begin!!

izismile.com...
edit on 9-2-2013 by CitizenJack because: (no reason given)

Wow, their winner for size is the Oribatid mite, who can lift over 1,000 times its body weight! I've never heard of that one (Oribatid mite wikipedia link: en.wikipedia.org... ) I wonder who the overall winner would be, can a whale lift? They have elephants, oxen, gorilla (10 times body weight). Good find.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
There's a 1980 movie! "Animalympics" (the good folks at wikipedia, after intense negotiation, have allowed ATS to link to their peer-reviewed article about the film: en.wikipedia.org... ). The film has a lion and a goat winning the marathon, holding feet/paws as they finish, for they have fallen in love. Would that be right? No, not the falling in love part, but can a lion run 26+ miles faster than everyone else? And would a cheetah win the old one-mile race, and can it run a four (or two) minute mile - I'd think so, but am not sure.

Then there's this, God help us:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
The Sailfish would take the swimming events they can swim up to 70 MPH. I also think that the Needletailed Swift would winged version of the footraces it is the fastest bird in normal flight at 100mph. The Peregrine Falcon would waste too much time gaining altitude it only reaches its high speeds during a dive.
edit on 9-2-2013 by Josephus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Josephus
The Sailfish would take the swimming events they can swim up to 70 MPH. I also think that the Needletailed Swift would winged version of the footraces it is the fastest bird in normal flight at 100mph. The Peregrine Falcon would waste too much time gaining altitude it only reaches its high speeds during a dive.
edit on 9-2-2013 by Josephus because: (no reason given)

The Needle-tailed Swift (wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org... ), that's another one I haven't heard of, thanks.

Wikipedia also has a list of fastest birds: en.wikipedia.org... , where they also list the Peregine and then the Golden Eagle, but these are, as you said, in dives and not in free flight. The Needle-tailed swift is listed at 108 mph. So it would likely take the short and medium distance races. Now what bird would win the marathon? The mighty sailfish might sweep the swimming events, as you say. As many or more medals than Michael Phelps. Now what about the different species relays! (a relay of teams composed of one fish, one mammal, an amphibian and a crustacean! Stop me before I post again.)

edit on 9-2-2013 by Aleister because: all edits spelling fixes except to grab the list

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Pigeons without doubts..

32 of them are already have been rewarded with the Dickin Medal in world war for their contributions and heroic acts. And of course, religion wise in Noah’s story and being symbol of much needed peace.

But my main fascination is about their excellent skill in flying and sense of directions.

edit on 9-2-2013 by amkia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I would say the medallions would go to the ones taking the most drugs.....

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The Border Collie would win The decathlon

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Im definitely going for a bird to win the 100 tweeters! (100 meters)

edit on 9-2-2013 by TheDoctor46 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDoctor46
Im definitely going for a bird to win the 100 tweeters! (100 meters)

edit on 9-2-2013 by TheDoctor46 because: (no reason given)

Yep, some fast birds "afloat", as wikipedia's list of fastest birds, linked above.

There was this one time at band camp, well, actually when a friend of mine's brother-in-law was taking out a fast boat from the shore and I was sitting at the back looking backwards. As we left, one of those fast flying insects took out after us, and as the boat hit speed it stayed right in back of the boat. I knew it was going to tire and fall into the water at some point, but it (he, she?) kept up with the boat for what seemed like three minutes, very fast speed. I was both impressed and sad at the futile chase, and never doubted an insects stamina since.

I don't mind telling you this brother-in-law was a real jerk, and a little bit later he tried to do a quick turn with the boat and threw me across the deck with it. Luckily he didn't turn the other way, as his two young daughters and my friend were sitting on that side holding on, and it would have been pretty bad if they had gone flying. Some cold words and stares ensued.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Even for the marathon I'd go with the White-throated Needletail as it never lands on the ground (making its nest in hollow trees and rock crevices and though it has a nest it spends the fast majority of its life in the air.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
giving this thread a bounce because i've seen mice run and they're just a blur, a literal blur, so if the track was sized down to their size and the requirement was the animal would have to run on the ground, mice might win the 100 meters and 50 meters. fast little critters.

--e.e. aleister
edit on 1-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

top topics

join