It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any lefties or ambidextrous out there?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
hi dudes and dames,,
so, any of you out there?

i have noticed that in somethings i totally kick-ass because of this,, i do a bit of boxing among other things, and i always win my fellow amateurs if i suddenly change the side of my technique, they cant defend themselves against this,, i mean right handed opponents,,
but i always get to trouble because of this also,, almost killed myself a couple of times when using heavy machinery.,,
i believe that i can also think different because of this,, i`ve read a couple of articles that have claimed that the left-handed brain is connected differently than right handed,, mainly speech, controls, emotions,,
have you heard any of this? some famous lefties and ambs, below.
Ramses II
Julius Caesar
Fidel Castro
Albert Einstein
Nicola Tesla
David Rockefeller
Bart Simpson (he is check it)
Jack the ripper

that reminds me, some people say that we are also psychotic murderers!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Yep, I'm a leftie, but ambidextrous... NO way. My girlfriend is completely ambidextrous though and its kinda cool to watch here flip about and change all the time.

Some other famous lefties...

Leonardo Da Vinci
Lewis Carroll
Bart Simpsons REAL FATHER: Matt Groening
James Cameron
Kurt Cobain
Jimi Hendrix
Uri Geller
David Bowie

Here's a pretty big list of more: Lefties
edit on 9-2-2013 by Severin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Severin

This is kinda cool because so many great individuals are lefties or amb.
and the percentage of us is max, like 30%, or something.. i believe that the average IQ is also high for us.

i have also noticed that i am good at handling chaotic information and patterns.
and i see underwater, thank Cthulhu!
edit on 9-2-2013 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by solve

Yep i'm mainly a lefty but i can do every thing nearly as well right handed except writing, but i put that down to the fact that i'm mildly dyslexic.

You wouldn't believe how many pint's i have won playing pool with my "wrong hand" in the pub over the years.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by solve

Source

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

What a weird coincidence, same here, only my enemy is traditional numbers.....

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by solve

I'm a lefty. I do a lot of things right-handed too. I play golf right-handed, I use a right-handed hockey stick, and my drum-set is set up for right-handed players as well.

I'm not ambidextrous by any means, but I find I can learn to do a lot of things with my right hand...except for bowling..I can only bowl with my left arm

I think playing trap-set drums is a great exercise for both hemispheres of the brain. You are engaging/synchronizing both left and right hands AND feet.

By the way..whenever I've done any of those "are you left-brained or right-brained?" quizzes...I usually score right along the middle. I make equal use of both hemispheres. (*cough* play drums *cough*)
edit on 9-2-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I'm right handed, trying to train myself to be a bit more ambidextrous. Not doing well.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by solve

In our house i help the kids with their maths homework an my sexy hippy chick does the English

She is also a lefty but unfortunately can not do any thing with her right

As we are both lefties our house is set up for us

It's so funny watching right handed people trying to use our kitchen.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I am led to believe that everyone is technically ambidextrous, or at least has the potential to be so.

And that the real reason we are right or left favoring is because we get used to using the one we prefer.

To prove this to yourself you only have to practice in a serious manner with your alternate arm/leg. Obviously you will begin as a novice but after time can hone your skills and become more accustomed to it.

And eventually (of if you start really young), you can gradually drift from one side to the other.

I know that many people will reject this, but it is actually provable in that people can learn to use their alternate and even flip over to it becoming their primary choice.

We are wired essentially the same after all.
edit on 9-2-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I used to do my school homework with both hands, one they my parents told me I must choose one hand so I became lefty. One of the things I noticed is we have a diferent view of the world. Arts, symmetry, abstract concepts are comfortable for us. Some people believe we are smarter, maybe we just have the ability to face problems in a different way.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
I used to do my school homework with both hands, one they my parents told me I must choose one hand so I became lefty. One of the things I noticed is we have a diferent view of the world. Arts, symmetry, abstract concepts are comfortable for us. Some people believe we are smarter, maybe we just have the ability to face problems in a different way.

I don't believe there are any real differences, biological, philosophical, political, existential, etc.

I am fairly convinced that we are all far more similar than we are different, and most of the differences are imagined rather than real.

Your statement that hand choice associates with particular mental abilities is entirely subjective and has no real basis aside of the misinterpretation of data.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Ambi here! Do everything with both left and right hands. The kicker? Can even write with both hands concurrently and have each hand write a different word or draw a different picture at the same time (ie can write something like seven with my left hand and eight with my right hand). And yes, it's legible, lol. Oddly enough, I write with my right hand usually. Explanation? I got busted as a kid while learning to write for "doing it wrong". Anybody that has noticed me writing with my right has always been highly humored by it. I have to turn the paper 90 degrees to the left in order to make it legible, neat and straight. My gram was a lefty and I have all of her weird habits such as flipping through magazines from the back and I get really irritated when I accidentally buy a righty measuring cup, lol.

IQ is supposedly around 160. I'm a pattern hunting monster and can handle huge amounts of information. Human calculator and have an eidetic memory. Not sure if that has anything to do with being ambi but considering ambi utilizes both sides more, it might. Don't think I'm a closet psychotic murderer and I've never invented anything either though I was groomed to be an engineer.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
We are wired essentially the same after all.

No, we aren't. There is a range of difference and that is what makes humanity such an interesting collective beast. Many examples out there of people being wired differently from schizophrenics to well, the aforementioned Einstein. His brain was, in fact, very different from the norm: articles.washingtonpost.com...

Or this one which has some neat topographic maps that shows how different wiring can be on the basis of creativity and iq: www.sciencedirect.com...

One on hemispheric laterality (full pdf is available and free= happiness!): www.tandfonline.com...

Wiring differences have been noted since the late 19th century as well as physiological differences from sizes of things like specific neural cells or sensory cells and more. We are definitely not all wired essentially the same. Humanity is very, very diverse.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by Trueman

I don't believe there are any real differences, biological, philosophical, political, existential, etc.

I am fairly convinced that we are all far more similar than we are different, and most of the differences are imagined rather than real.

Your statement that hand choice associates with particular mental abilities is entirely subjective and has no real basis aside of the misinterpretation of data.

I never used the term "mental abilities", actually I tend to believe all we do is add a view from a different angle. Probably you need to read again my first post.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
I'm right handed, trying to train myself to be a bit more ambidextrous. Not doing well.

I was lefty, got "changed around" in school, and then in college decided to try to get the lefty back. Here's what I did: Sat for 90 minutes and wrote the alphabet backwards, starting from "Z", with my left hand, then...

stopped using my right arm for two weeks. Just let it hang by my side, and did everything with my left hand. Wrote, cooked, ate, held up the phone, dressed (takes some time but possible), etc. I just let the right arm hang there, it may have been over two weeks as I recall now. I found that I can write more legibly with my left hand but not as fast. I still can't throw a ball as well lefty, and will have to get to that (thanks for the inspiration, I've been meaning to do that).

For the list, how about one of the greatest pitchers in American baseball history, Lefty Grove!
edit on 9-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Yes we are wired the same, you totally are misunderstanding what I meant by my vague statement. I will attempt to qualify it with some elaboration for your pleasure.

What I mean is that we are all homo sapiens, we are wired the same in the sense that by utilizing a function and building pathways to enhance that function we can increase our ability in it.

Practicing a specific act equates to creating more neurological pathways for that activity. Reinforcement. It increases over time into honed skills and we can even improve on it and teach others what we learned so they can improve.

It works the same for everyone. Unless of course they are born deformed or are injured obviously, as that is a physical issue that can prevent natural neurological development.

And when you go back to the 19th century talking about "physiological or biological differences being studied", you need to be careful because that is deeply connected to the fallacious body of study we call eugenics. And the misconceptions held within those groups led to some awfully tragic consequences.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I'm ambidextrous, and you're right about confusing your opponent in boxing. I took up boxing at age 12, and when I'd switch to southpaw, it was really on!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I used to be about 90% leftie. Now I'm probably 60% leftie 40% rightie. I had an injury that forced me to use my right for lot of things for a period.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
cool that, there are different people here....
who knows, maybe the world will someday , shake beneath the feet of the Leftorial army....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join