It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westboro Baptist Church Leader quits

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
lol morons.. so you finally figured out that your "god" doesn't want you to hate people... wake up and smell the coffee already. You should hate yourself for being such an ignorant human.

God hates morons.

Hey when you're raised the way they were, from birth, having it hammered into you by none other than Shirley Phelps for all those years, I'd say it's an amazing feat to have risen above it. What seems obvious to us isn't necessarily easy for someone with a background like that to see.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

lol morons.. so you finally figured out that your "god" doesn't want you to hate people... wake up and smell the coffee already. You should hate yourself for being such an ignorant human.

God hates morons.

And here I thought God is love
and as such love does not hate.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebtheb

God hates morons.

Hey when you're raised the way they were, from birth, having it hammered into you by none other than Shirley Phelps for all those years, I'd say it's an amazing feat to have risen above it. What seems obvious to us isn't necessarily easy for someone with a background like that to see.

Absolutely couldnt agree with you more, good on the kid for getting out. Years and years of mind washing must be a very difficult thing to break away from. Oh god id ive loved to have seen Shirleys face when she found out. Interestingly, i remember watching the louis theroux doc on them, and thinking that Megan seemed like a nice girl when she wasnt spouting her hateful rhetoric.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I applaud thier efforts, what they did with leaving took REAL guts! I guess they finally realized the truth in the saying that "What has been seen, cannot be unseen". If only they can be the catalyst that helps others to lift the veil from thier eyes and see what being misguided and hate is all about. Regardless of what you believe or do not believe in, hatred should have no place in the world. They have a long hard road ahead of them, I do hope that they find those that will be willing to lend them a hand and help them up instead of kick them down for what they used to be.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1
So a holy roller actually questions what they've been told to believe and quits....Hmmm.....

Properly read, the Bible is the quickest route to atheism...

She's not quitting religion - just the WBC - IIRC I read elsewhere that one of the things that made her question that particular church was something along the lines that "fags can never be forgiven" - and when she thought about it it didn't quite gel with the concept that anyone can be forgiven if they truly repent...or something like that.

So she still believes in the fairy-god-father - just not in her insane-grand-father.

Not sure if it has been mentioned above - 2 of them have gone:

Two granddaughters of Westboro Baptist Church firebrand Fred Phelps have split with the Topeka-based congregation, indicating their views have evolved and they now regret the pain they have caused others.
Order Reprints

Megan Phelps-Roper (right, pictured in a 2011 file photo), had been a highly visible member of her grandfather’s Westboro Baptist Church. In November, she and a younger sister, Grace Phelps-Roper, left the Topeka congregation known for its anti-gay stance and for picketing funerals of fallen soldiers and others.

One of them, 27-year-old Megan Phelps-Roper, had been a highly visible member of the church who spoke to media outlets and spread its message via Twitter.

She and a younger sister, Grace Phelps-Roper, in November left the congregation known for its anti-gay stance and for picketing funerals of fallen soldiers and others.
y

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I'm totally astonished that anyone can take the WBC seriously; including it's members. They have become a parody of themselves good only for comic relief in an American culture that has become "Mondo Cane" in an increasingly surrealistic landscape of excess and hyperbole. As distasteful as the WBC is; they fit in perfectly with the American meme.

edit on 9-2-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Good for her.

She and her sister have finally seen through the scam. Grandpa is probably not real happy with her. To cut ties like that with family is never easy, always traumatic.

It'll be tough going for a long time. I wish her and her sister well.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
I'm totally astonished that anyone can take the WBC seriously; including it's members. They have become a parody of themselves good only for comic relief in an American culture that has become "Mondo Cane" in an increasingly surrealistic landscape of excess and hyperbole. As distasteful as the WBC is; they fit in perfectly with the American meme.

edit on 9-2-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

If there was ever a group that produced a better argument against Christianity, it's WBC.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Srill think it eas l a psyops to keep folks away from beibg fundy to the max.

Think it worked and is time to wind it all down . People learned what they were supposed to learn.

She is awfully eloquent for a holy roller...

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Believer101
I'm actually really glad to hear this. I'm glad some of them are finally waking up to what they've been doing and realizing that they're in the wrong here.

Hopefully we'll see more of them realizing and leaving their "church".

They were not wrong in the word just how they were going about it.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

This.
second line

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Considering what an egomaniac Fred Phelps is there no way he's gonna just disown 2 of his own daughters and let it go at that especially when one of them was the social media spokeswoman for the church.Can't have members of the flock begin to wonder why their "savior" can't seem to keep his family together.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Warched a video about this WBC.
Lol its a nutty Churcl alright.
These 2 ladies should join a Pentecoastal Church.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

She grew up and realised they were all crackpots...

2nd

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Lauren Drain left a few years ago. She talks about it in this short clip.

Now an actual Phelps member leaving. That's pretty big news. Especially since she was the 'tech smart' one in the family. Hopefully a catalyst to it all falling apart.

Wonderful for Megan. That must have taken a lot of strength considering how deep the indoctrination was!

I really hope she is able to expunge all the hate from herself.
edit on 9-2-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Now an actual Phelps member leaving. That's pretty big news.

Four of Fred's children left years ago. At least 2 of his grandchildren have left as well, one of them being Megan and Grace's brother.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Horray for the internet and it's endless source of information, helping people wake up and break free from their structured dogma.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Charmed707

Ah okay. Even better.

Thanks for the info

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnBreakable

This.
second line

I agree that the WBC are a bunch of ignorant trolls but why does every religion based topic on this website have to turn into an atheist circle jerk?

If you dont believe in god or religion or whatever that's fine but do you need to shout it from the roof-tops over and over and over? You guys are starting to sound like the ignorant fundamentalists that you claim to be contrary to.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
circle jerk?

People are offering their opinions. you just dont seem to like hearing atheist opinions.

I agree actually - I'd love to do a symbolic logic translation of the bible... lol

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join