It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westboro Baptist Church Leader quits

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Actually, IMO, she was more of a victim here than most, and had a much harder road out of the whole thing. She was born into it. Thus for the entirety of her life, she never knew anything else. She was indoctrinated into it from the cradle... raised to believe that all which disagrees with her families view is evil and of the Devil.

That is quite a difficult thing to get past. Even though I'm my own person and decided at a rather young age to make up my own mind about things, the demons, for lack of a better phrase, that my parents instilled me with are still fairly daunting at times. And my parents weren't zealots about anything. I can only imagine what it must be like to be raised in a cult.

IMO the fact that she rose to leadership suggests nothing other than that she is a naturally strong person. The easy allegory is that life gave her lemons and she made lemonade. She was raised in a world where she was told, from birth, that only lemons were good - and everything else was bad. At some point she made a conscious decision to defeat that programming and to ask others if they preferred other things to lemons. In the end she was brave enough to announce that she didn't like lemons at all - and left.

Again, good for her.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
i will put my money on.. they showed up got them alone and hypnotized them. i had a friend years ago that was against the church. and one day some people showed up and hypnotized her. now she is a die hard church goer. its how they tear groups apart. they get them alone and hypno them. ever wounder why people change massively over night??

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Both very interesting observations! I can see both points.

Muzzle, I don't know what cult I'm a member of. I have turned away from all religion, I don't have a job, politics is a playground for me - I don't take it seriously - I haven't watched news since the election... and I don't belong to any groups that have a "system of belief", that I am aware of (the gym and my dog board) . I'm not sure what's left... ATS?
Again, it's not something I take seriously, which is, I think, a prerequisite of belonging to a cult... Any input?

And regardless what is going on in my life, I will applaud when I see someone face their fear and be brave, even if I don't have the courage to do the same.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
What she's saying is that the internet is more powerful informationally than the brainwashing she's endured since she was born. That's pretty powerful and bodes well for our continued advancement out of the depths of the Dark Ages some are still mired in.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1
Properly read, the Bible is the quickest route to atheism...

I read mine with a Russian accent and a lisp. I guess that's why I believed it?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Perhaps she is able to discern right from wrong, unlike her family members. I wonder if she has remorse for the things they have said and done, that clearly fly in the face of Christianity. This church is Christian like I am Santa Claus.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Actually, IMO, she was more of a victim here than most,
reply to post by Hefficide

Couldn't agree more, and I wish her the best. I'm just saying she has a nightmare road ahead that I know I couldn't travel and survive.

edit on 2/9/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I find this really hopeful.

She's very brave.

I hope the experience helps to strengthen her faith, not weaken it and to realize that Jesus was a figure of compassion and tolerance...not hate.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
As an aside, I think that prospective members of the WBC ought to have to listen to this ...

www.youtube.com...

Before joining.
edit on 9-2-2013 by TrueBrit because: added link

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

People still get stoned for *allegedly* committing "adultery" for goodness' sake! And others, like the Saudi preacher, get let off with a small fine after brutally raping and torturing his five year-old daughter!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Great articles-- thanks for sharing.

This is definitely good news. I like to see profound transformation in people. And to see it in someone like this-- who once seemed so steadfast (and stubborn) and wrapped-up in that life and ideal, is somewhat inspiring.

I really liked the explanation of her "A-HA!" moment. It apparently occurred during an online conversation:

“I would ask him questions about Judaism, and he would ask me questions about church doctrine. One day, he asked a specific question about one of our signs—‘Death Penalty for Fags’—and I was arguing for the church’s position, that it was a Levitical punishment and as completely appropriate now as it was then. He said, ‘But Jesus said’—and I thought it was funny he was quoting Jesus—‘Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.’ And then he connected it to another member of the church who had done something that, according to the Old Testament, was also punishable by death. I realized that if the death penalty was instituted for any sin, you completely cut off the opportunity to repent. And that’s what Jesus was talking about.”

medium.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
[

This woman was the leader of a baptist church. Are you saying that what she preached as the word of a god wasn't wrong?

Sorry, I do not know anything about the specific WBC or what she preached, but am gonna find out and post again.
Judging by what others are saying though, looks like she was not a Christian at all.
But I wish her well.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

I was raised Christian (attending a Lutheran church, and going to a Baptist university). I am anything but Christian now.

Regardless, her A-Ha moment....that is beauty right there. I am a softy for people who can allow some level of logic and reason into their lives. While we may question the validity of a logic based on religion, we cannot question the use of logic in that instance (valid or not) to dispel poisoned thought.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
We're covering this subject on ATS Live! Tonight

More info here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
lol morons.. so you finally figured out that your "god" doesn't want you to hate people... wake up and smell the coffee already. You should hate yourself for being such an ignorant human.

God hates morons.

You clearly didn't read the interview with her.
If you did and weren't a moron yourself you would have seen how amazingly intelligent she [Megan] is, how a much of an amazing amount of perspective she has after a traumatic experience.
You would have seen how philosophical she is and for a moment you could put yourself into the shoes of either of these young women, who were born into this group, have only ever known this group and nothing outside of their train of thought then you would know how much courage, strength and belief in the human spirit and the need to not hurt people it took to take the plunge, say goodbye to your family forever and leave.

You are a short sighted unthoughtful human being (or at least your statement suggests that you were for the moment of writing it)
edit on 9-2-2013 by b14warrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
This is interesting....To say the least.

I am glad she "came to her senses" so to speak. I hope to hear more from her and her sister soon.

I find it sad that their family has/will disown them simply for having their own religious beliefs and not wanting to be a part of a hate group (cult)..... Though, I guess...They are probably better off with out their family who runs the WBC....

I can't imagine how hard this is for her and her sister. I believe they did the right thing after they came to their senses though. No where to go but up from here.

And again, hoping to hear more from them soon.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam
Great articles-- thanks for sharing.

This is definitely good news. I like to see profound transformation in people. And to see it in someone like this-- who once seemed so steadfast (and stubborn) and wrapped-up in that life and ideal, is somewhat inspiring.

I really liked the explanation of her "A-HA!" moment. It apparently occurred during an online conversation:

“I would ask him questions about Judaism, and he would ask me questions about church doctrine. One day, he asked a specific question about one of our signs—‘Death Penalty for Fags’—and I was arguing for the church’s position, that it was a Levitical punishment and as completely appropriate now as it was then. He said, ‘But Jesus said’—and I thought it was funny he was quoting Jesus—‘Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.’ And then he connected it to another member of the church who had done something that, according to the Old Testament, was also punishable by death. I realized that if the death penalty was instituted for any sin, you completely cut off the opportunity to repent. And that’s what Jesus was talking about.”

medium.com...

Ahah moment?? THAT is a damned epiphany! I guess a chink in the armor made it all fall away. Can you imagine how frightening that was for her internally? I dont understand the ridicule of her here and elsewhere concerning this.. too weird for words. This woman is brave and CHOOSING to face her demons... and has much regret now. She spoke as if she felt much shame and bared it for all of us to dissect. From what Ive read she really did wish to do good.. but was so adversely influenced by those she trusted even from birth.. being isolated and basically brainwashed. How many of us could say we would abandon all connections, support systems, beliefs, and open up to the word concerning our past bad actions?? Few Id suspect.
THATS bravery. Im not an xtian and I have no reference to the religious or cults personally, but know bravery when I see it. That whole family is so litigious.. she knows best. SHe has more to fear than being alone and ridicule. These loving family members may go after her and fight... and she chose this even in the face of that additionally. Impressive is all I can say!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Westboro Mingle

www.youtube.com...
edit on 9-2-2013 by FlyingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Good for her! What a ridiculous, despicable group they are. Can't frakkin' stand them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join