It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westboro Baptist Church Leader quits

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Westboro Baptist Church Leader quits

(news source)

They're known worldwide as the group from Kansas that protests at soldiers' funerals, and says God hates America because it allows homosexuality. Now, Westboro Baptist Church is reacting to the defection of a key member.

"She just decided she did not want to obey God," spokesman Steve Drain says. "She did not want to obey scripture."

She is Megan Phelps-Roper. The 27-year-old had risen to become a leader in the family church founded by her grandfather.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

Meagan's blog about her departure

A reporter who met her gives more details of her departure
edit on 8-2-2013 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
This is an interesting development, because Meagan was being groomed to take over a top spot. She's the one with the social media experience (Twitter, Facebook, etc) and was important to them in "getting the word out."

According to these sources, she and her sister Grace have left the church after starting to question what they were told to believe. As she came into contact with others on the Internet, she began to question whether what she had been taught was truly moral -- it was a discussion with a Jewish man (who quoted the New Testament to her, ironically enough) that made her reluctant to be part of the "God Hates Fags" paradigm.

They are apparently laying low for awhile. Church members are shunning them. She's in a lot of emotional conflict -- she loves her family, but now abhors what she did and what they stood for.

I hope that others in the church and family will leave Fred Phelp's circle of hate.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I'm actually really glad to hear this. I'm glad some of them are finally waking up to what they've been doing and realizing that they're in the wrong here.

Hopefully we'll see more of them realizing and leaving their "church".

+29 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
So a holy roller actually questions what they've been told to believe and quits....Hmmm.....

Properly read, the Bible is the quickest route to atheism...

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
It took her til the age of 27 to realize what total BS hate mongering circle jerk her family is?

Better late than never I suppose, big ups to her and her sis.... I guess. Not like I really care.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
lol morons.. so you finally figured out that your "god" doesn't want you to hate people... wake up and smell the coffee already. You should hate yourself for being such an ignorant human.

God hates morons.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Her mother is Shirley Phelps-Roper, who actually runs much of the church. Will this mean anything to Shirley or her dad, Fred? Probably not, but now who are they going to hire to paint those creepy picket signs? If you live in Kansas check the want ads for a job near you!

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
In reading her blog, I feel sympathy for her. It's hard to reject your family, and hard to reject a path that you were told was true and right. I know those of you who grew up in very religious families and who later renounced that faith will perhaps sympathize with her. I'm sure she feels lost and I'm sure she and her sister are going to have a lot of "dark night of the soul" moments.

At least four other Phelps children have left, including the high profile Nate Phelps. I'd like to see more cracks in Fred's facade.

True story: I had a run-in with him via mail, when he sent me one of his hate letters under the impression that I was a prominent local gay (we have the same name, but I'm a woman and am very obviously NOT gay.) I can tell you that the letter was complete gibberish, including misread and misinterpreted verses from the King James Bible.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
Her mother is Shirley Phelps-Roper, who actually runs much of the church. Will this mean anything to Shirley or her dad, Fred?

I think so. She did the Twitter, Facebook, and social media stuff. I don't see Shirley or Fred suddenly becoming tech savvy.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

You don't quit 'crazy'. It follows you wherever you go and whatever you do. I see really bad things happening with this one.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I think now she can fully experience the goodness and excitement that life outside their strict dogma has to offer. She can leave out the hate in her heart and find better ways to follow her religious desires. Good for her.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

No, she is strong and will overcome any challenges including the attempts of the WBC to drag her back into her old life.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by Byrd

You don't quit 'crazy'. It follows you wherever you go and whatever you do. I see really bad things happening with this one.

No, kids who are brought up in cult environments quit and disown their "communities" all the time. Granted, it's usually in their teens, but kudos to Megan for eventually following her heart and doing what she believes is the right thing.

As the most social media-savvy honcho in the church, she would have borne the brunt of the public outrage against it and so may not have been as self-delusional as the rest. This was probably a long time coming.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komonazmuk
It took her til the age of 27 to realize what total BS hate mongering circle jerk her family is?

Better late than never I suppose, big ups to her and her sis.... I guess. Not like I really care.

Brainwashing and indoctrination is a powerful thing, look around the world, people still get stoned for being homosexual.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Explanation: S&F!

Good for her!

Speculating wildly I just wonder if that 'Jewish man' who quoted the New Testamament to her ... was he... could he have been Jesus?

Personal Disclosure: We all need to support this ladies descision and not deride her well founded choices.

She will need support!

edit on 8-2-2013 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix broken bbcode.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Having read the article and the video, and the postings, the following can be stated:

We can not know what all or the reasons why these 2 girls left the church, or that group. Nor are they willing to give reasons, rather keeping quiet about such. But as they are a closed knit group and family, there can only be 2 reasons why such would have occured, and usually it is personal for the individual.

We can only hope that more of this church decides to follow suit and start leaving the flock for more tolerante pastures and live in peace, rather than take on a more agressive stance. But unfortunately the article can only lead to a few conclusions that can not be proven until verified so I will not mention them.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Komonazmuk

I am currently 40 years old, and still an utter fool.

Regardless, when I was 27, I was just barely this side of "completely lost".. The man I am today hadn't even begun to break free from the hull, let alone germinate.

The various dogmas that you are raised with have absolute effect on you. For some it is easy to shake off, for most there is nothing to really shake off. And for a few, they remain deluded for ever.

All that being said, it is a shame that she doesn't meet your expectations for insightfulness. Perhaps we can agree that she has taken a major step in the right direction here, and the world is just a little bit better with WBC having 2 less congregants?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I was afraid I was positively going to go to hell until I was thirty something, don't think my mind will totally ever be free.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
My best wishes to these ladies, and I applaud them for having the strength I know it took to walk away from that situation. They have a long road ahead of them. De-programming isn't easy. I know. Been there. Done that. Still have to deal with it occasionally. Even after years.

I hope this gives others the courage to do what they have done.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

The WBC don't try to drag the 'rebels', as they call them, back into the church. From what I've heard, they're quick to disown any member who questions the doctrine. Shirley has already disowned one of her other children.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join