It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mentality of Oil Consumption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Remember tragedy of the commons? I think oil is the one that will collapse society:

Any decent person would admit to him/herself that oil will run out very soon, but we use it because we have no choice. The decent individual hopes that research will catch up with the energy demand when oil runs out, but is also pragmatic about the possibility that it won't. In the end, the decent individual will continue to use oil as it is what allows him/her to live.

The greedy feels like he should use as much oil and whatever resource as much as possible because soon there won't be any for him. He knows oil will run out, but he wants to use as much as he can before it runs out.

The ignorant believes everything the government or media says just so they can live in denial. These people will continue to use oil because they do not believe that the people will charge will let that happen.

In the end, nothing is being done to decrease oil consumption or increase supply. Everyone is in denial.

There's all this fuss about a future water shortage, but I think oil dependence will destroy us all water becomes the problem.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Watch the documentary collapse and crude awakening . It seams like we have a huge problem ahead the question is just went 10,20,100 years down the road.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
oil should be left for lubricating gears,chains and bearings.,but it is not....so be it ,until a better performing magnetic based propulsion system is available to the minions

When your 500 clicks from the nearest filling station ,i like the reliability of internal combustion two wheeled freedom machines
burning oil is our destiny .So let it be written ,so let it be done

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
You also need it for petrochemicals.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Society doesn't have to collapse without oil. Our economy may collapse but communities can be strong. Even with the decline in morals and the economy based conditioning that is being shoved down our throats, some of us have knowledge of our ancestors who have gone through this kind of stuff before. Some of those who are hooked on the present social structure will go to where their kind are assembling, hopefully it is not here. I dislike the ratrace, preferring the tranquility of partial self sufficiency and small community living.
edit on 2-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
We don't need oil. There are many free energy devices that have been kept secret. I know of at least 15. Stagnation of technology keeps the cosmocroterus (rulers of world darkness) in power. Cars could run on water. The Sun produces free energy every day. And the pregnant vaccume (zero-point energy) is inexhaustable. By bending the very fabric of space (using a vaccume and catalyst), unlimited energy could be unleashed from particles all around us. Look up T. Henry Moray. He was shot at on the street for discovering the zero-point.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

I remember the shortages during the early 70's. We had the odd and even days and my Mom would make a game of it so us kids would not get wild while waiting hours to fill the tank. As I have grown older, I have come to realize that this is really a non-issue IMO. We don't have to rely on "the crude" for our fuel needs. I can understand why the oil companies will continue to to do everything they can to keep folks from turning away from the products they are peddling, that's the job they are payed to do, but we as individuals can make our own choices. There are alternatives that we can use Now, and many folks, in my circle are doing just that. Plant based fuels are just one obvious example.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

Since I would like to be a decent fellow how long is "very soon"? For me, 40 years is not very soon, especially since I probably will be dead by then....I'm not liking the, I will be dead "very soon" way of thinking.

So if you were a decent person you would not say 40 years is "very soon" and you wouldn't dream of saying that we are about to run out of oil short of that time period. The Bakken hasn't even entered into production stage yet, those wells will produce 30 years or more, and when they slow down, they will re-frac or give it a little Co2 treatment........AND.......that is if technological advances stops today 4-2-2013.........So no my friend, no chance of oil running out "very soon".......any decent person will admit that.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by pennylemon

You too don't want to consider 40yrs as being "very soon" I knew people that would switch out licenses plates to get gas and I remember those long lines after church when you wanted to get home to watch ABC's Wide World of Sports...or was that on Saturday's?......I can't imagine I wanted to rush home and watch Bullwinkle or the other lame Sunday morning cartoons.....spoiled kids today able to watch 20 channels of 24/7 cartoons.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Sorry, oil is in everything. Oil in fertilizer doubled food production. It is in pharmaceuticals, plastics. Everything. That plastic bottle of water? Fill that 33% full of oil and that is what it takes to manufacture and distribute it. No matter what size it is. We are stuck with oil. This post used oil. The PC/cellphone you use to post is oil based. Solutions are not as easy as you think. Hundreds of millions of people would die without oil. We are stuck with it.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
Sorry, oil is in everything. Oil in fertilizer doubled food production. It is in pharmaceuticals, plastics. Everything. That plastic bottle of water? Fill that 33% full of oil and that is what it takes to manufacture and distribute it. No matter what size it is. We are stuck with oil. This post used oil. The PC/cellphone you use to post is oil based. Solutions are not as easy as you think. Hundreds of millions of people would die without oil. We are stuck with it.

This is how, in part, we have arrived at this point. You speak as if "oil" is a singular thing. Reliance on "oil" as it stands is not the problem IMO, and "crude" has not always been the default when most think of oils in manufacturing and energy production. We don't really need any new fuel technology. Many have been sold on the idea that petroleum based oils are the only choice we have.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

It doesn't matter what we think. We don't have the power to change it. Lobbyists/Hollywood/corporations/politicians are the only ones that can change it. It will not change. We should have been powering cars/trucks with natural gas for over 50 years.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec

It doesn't matter what we think. We don't have the power to change it. Lobbyists/Hollywood/corporations/politicians are the only ones that can change it. It will not change. We should have been powering cars/trucks with natural gas for over 50 years.

Do you mean to say that every time you happen to see a commercial you are powerless to resist going out and buying whatever product offered. Are you powerless to resist emulating the fictitious lifestyles portrayed in film. Alternate technologies do exist and are accessible to the general public should we choose to utilize them. The issue I have with natural gas technology is that it is, in my opinion, foolish to rely on fossil fuels in general as a fuel source for the long term.

Penny

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
It's real simple. If you look at graphs of the population worldwide vs energy you'll see it grow as new forms of energy are found. More energy, more people. Then we discovered oil. Go look for yourself to see the effect. What you'll find is the population exploded.

Now, I said I'd keep it simple. All those people that came about because of oil.... They'll have to go away. Or, maybe, the movie Soylent Green will considered prophetic in the future. Doubt it though. Much easier to cull the population via war.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
A poster from WWII

& one I did

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
You need oil because much of manufacturing and mechanized agriculture are heavily dependent on it due to higher energy returns and petrochemicals.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I don't know for sure, but what if there isn't a limit on oil at all? What if quantum mysticism is right? What if there isn't a limit on gold or silver or platinum either? I mean humans have made jewelry since at least the time of the Celts but probably back to the Egyptians, but we're sill using and having gold! And it's still plentiful enough to be sold in stores and jewelry shops! Same with silver. What if there's no such thing as a nonrenewable resource?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I teach this stuff to my children,there is no pulling the wool over the eye's in our abode.

new topics

top topics

join