It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North America should move toward isolationism.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The United States has become a pariah in world public opinion.We have been told that our actions are not welcome as the world police.That we are imperialistic and bent on world domination.I say we bow to the pressure
And concentrate on our own problem's.We import more that we export,if we concentrate on North America.We can solve most of our problems.

Why import from China, when there is a country to our Southern boarder that would love to have the job's that are shipped oversea's.We can also restart our own industries,textile,steel..ect.Let's raise ALL the tarrif's on imported goods,and work on reducing the trade deficit.

People may say we can't because of oil.Well there are now to reasons why that won't apply.First we have a northern neighbor,whose tar sands are producing copious amounts.Why send the money to the Middle East to enrich Kings and fund terrorist? When we can enrich our neighbors instead.Second by 2020 the U.S should be self sufficent on oil.

Next topic that come's up is rare earth minerals.Well first they really aren't that rare the problem is in mining them and we are expanding those operations. (see link) Besides I am not saying total isolationism,we will still be the largest consumer.Let's consume on our terms not anyone else's.

We pull back into North America, cut all foreign expenditures,quit working on the world and work on us and our neighbors problems.

Most of the world wouldn't miss us in the least.

edit on 8-2-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Of course they wouldn't miss us, because now they would have free reign to spread their influence all over the place.

This is no longer the 1930's where isolation was possible, the world is far more globablized today. Can America operate without dealing with foreign nations?

If not then wouldn't we want as much influence with these foreign nations as possible to ensure that America is not getting the raw end of the deal?

Suppose we only trade with Mexico like you say and leave the world alone and China moves in and sets up South America with the people they want, funds them, gives them military equiptment. Now China tells Mexico to cut trade with the US.

What are we going to do? Start a war now?

I really can't believe isolationism is still even being considered by some people.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

That 'aint gonna happen IMO. I question if there will even be the concept of' 'country' in 100 years. Even today they call them' 'nation states' rather then countries.

The world is becoming more global not less. Unless something catastrophic happens which kills the fuel for transport and the communication lines.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Why import from China, when there is a country to our Southern boarder that would love to have the job's that are shipped oversea's.We can also restart our own industries,textile,steel..ect.Let's raise ALL the tarrif's on imported goods,and work on reducing the trade deficit.

Nobody but China makes cheap crap. Nobody makes it cheap enough for your guys to buy. If you increase tarrifs on imports, those costs will be passed down to consumers.

You can expect about 20% increase in prices across the board for any imported products.

People may say we can't because of oil.Well there are now to reasons why that won't apply.First we have a northern neighbor,whose tar sands are producing copious amounts.Why send the money to the Middle East to enrich Kings and fund terrorist?

As a Canadian, I lobby very hard for the shutting down and overall covering up of the atrocity we call the tar sands. Please find another alternative. Geothermal is a great alternative.

Next topic that come's up is rare earth minerals.Well first they really aren't that rare the problem is in mining them and we are expanding those operations. (see link) Besides I am not saying total isolationism,we will still be the largest consumer.Let's consume on our terms not anyone else's.

Actually if you spent the money you could pull about 400 million tons of rare earth from the oceans. As for consuming on your terms, than ended with NAFTA, among other trade agreements.

I agree you should cut foreign aid, bring the troops home and all that jazz, but you can't do what you've mentioned otherwise above. It would actually only further hurt the economy.

Besides, you have no manufacturing industry. American doesn't make anything but debt and weapons really. So I find it hard to believe that you could retool an entire economy from non production, to full scale production.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
It would be great if only reality didn't get in the way. America has become the worlds police force. We have too many enemies in the world to be turning our backs on them. The old saying " Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer" is our reality. It is far too late for isolationism.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Spookycolt

. Can America operate without dealing with foreign nations?

What would we need from them,that they wouldn't need to supply us with.I didn't say total isolation.Read the whole post raise tarrifs.

Suppose we only trade with Mexico like you say and leave the world alone and China moves in and sets up South America with the people they want, funds them, gives them military equiptment. Now China tells Mexico to cut trade with the US

China is allready in South America Venezuela to be specific.Besides if we raise tarrif's and stop exporting from China (who I also see as the biggest world threat) we pull the rug out from under their economy.They are not not and won't be in a position for some time, to threaten the world.If their money supplier (us) dries up they never will be.Us pulling or stopping imports might even lead to regime change in China.I see that as a win win scenario.

I really can't believe isolationism is still even being considered by some people

Now do you it would be a mighty move for North America.If you really now about the global economy we are the key.

I can wait until someone talks about China buying up the Gold, boy do I have some fact's on that.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Nobody but China makes cheap crap. Nobody makes it cheap enough for your guys to buy. If you increase tarrifs on imports, those costs will be passed down to consumers
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Mexico would be glad to pick up the job's and money.If you think what I said would happen overnight maybe you should put a little mor thought into it.

Besides, you have no manufacturing industry. American doesn't make anything but debt and weapons really. So I find it hard to believe that you could retool an entire economy from non production, to full scale production.

Nobody on earth thought we could retool our economy to save the world during WW2. We have been underestimated before you might as well do it again.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Ah yes, expand military strikes & bases world wide.

[img]http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/imagenes_sociopol/sociop139.jpg[/yvid]

There's the beginnings of isolationism for ya!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Ah yes, expand military strikes & bases world wide.

There's the beginnings of isolationism for ya!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

China's buying up the gold ?

just saying ..

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

So when countries such as Iraq, Afghanistan want to trade with the US, you'd have your government prevent free trade by protectionism, putting up barriers, tariffs etc. Bomb the crap out of them, then refuse to trade with them.

Mm. That makes real sense, but only in some weird parallel dimension.

Although you do have a point. If Wall Street were removed from the equation, what does USA have left to offer ? It has ideas, sure, some of the most amazing inventions have come from USA. But just about everywhere else can take that idea and make it cheaper than any company in the USA ever could.

I think USA is soon going to be where UK was in the 1950's. Without an empire and without a role either.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Mexico would be glad to pick up the job's and money.If you think what I said would happen overnight maybe you should put a little mor thought into it.

You really think that Mexico would retool it's entire economy just to provide the US with cheap crap?

I highly doubt that.

Nobody on earth thought we could retool our economy to save the world during WW2. We have been underestimated before you might as well do it again.

The US already had a great manufacturing infrastructure in place at the time, they simple converted those factories into bomb building sites and such.

The US now has NO infrastructure to sustain manufacturing. It's not just a re-tool it's an entire build from the ground up.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Besides, you have no manufacturing industry. American doesn't make anything but debt and weapons really.

To be fair...

We are still the leaders in production for many thigs:
Cheese - Yum...
beef - Yum.....
corn - eh..
roads - Need these
innovative building design - neeto
patents - These may lead to production of something in China though...

Not production related so much, but interesting...:
Olympic medals - tough
foreign aid - nice guys/gals over here
billionaires - $$
CO2 emission reductions - conscientious

Source

Otherwise, yea, weapons...

That said. I am for isolationism. I am sick of being the scapegoat for the world's problems.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Gold Reserves by country in metric tons Dec. 2012

U.S 8135
Germany 3399
Italy 2451
France 2435
China 1054 (They better start buying)

The E.U is really number 1 but that combines all members gold 10,787

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Yea, while you were posting I went back and looked at your eariler post in your profile.Would like me to quote you some?On how the U.S should stay out of the worlds Business.After all that is what I am proposing now that's not good enough for you either.I guess you just hate the U.S and take any chance you can to bash it.

After reviewing those post there is nothing I can say that will make you happy.We are damned if we do, and damned if we don't.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

LOL

Never have I stated that the US should become an isolationist nation when it comes to economics.

I stated they should do so from a military perspective and foreign aid perspective. No I don't hate America, but that's certainly the accusation of those incapable of taking true criticism about it's affairs.

Importing/Exporting goods is a whole other ball game. I'm in agreement that US should re-create it's manufacturing sector and do so in a hurry, but you must do that BEFORE you begin domestic isolation policies.

Otherwise those other nations will start trade wars with you.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

So when countries such as Iraq, Afghanistan want to trade with the US, you'd have your government prevent free trade by protectionism, putting up barriers, tariffs etc

Yes

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Are you calculating the Gold that is on loan from other nations?

If you do than you'd probably see that the US owns less gold in that respect. It's probably still 1st on the list, but not nearly by that much of a margin.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Again at nowhere in my post did I say we should do this overnight.I said we should move toward's it.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

But your isolationist policies for tarrifs and taxes on imports will kill your international economy. Nobody is going to import products from the US ( without charging you a ridiculous tarrif) if you are charging their exports in the same manner.

The result will be higher prices on ANYTHING imported and a loss of revenue in exports.

~Tenth
edit on 2/8/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join