It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida judge approves birth certificate listing three parents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
So this is a court decision from today.

Source

I agree with the ruling, I however disagree with the immediate situation.

MIAMI - A Florida judge has approved the adoption of a 22-month-old baby girl that will list three people as parents on her birth certificate -- a married lesbian couple and a gay man.

The decision ends a two-year paternity fight between the couple and a friend of the women who donated his sperm to father the child but later sought a larger role in the girl's life.

The ruling means the child's birth certificate will include a biological father and both women as parents in an unusual arrangement approved recently by a Miami-Dade Circuit Court judge.

The women, Maria Italiano, 43, and Cher Filippazzo, 38, had made several unsuccessful attempts to become parents using fertility clinics.

They then turned to Italiano's hair dresser, Massimiliano Gerina, and asked if he would provide his sperm for artificial insemination.

This man should have had documents made up at the time that allowed him this option. These cases of artificial insemination are profoundly complex and require a lot of hard work and know how.

I would ask before I continue that nobody make this about gays and lesbians adopting or having children, being wrong. This is not a gay rights debate or a conversation that attempts to legitimize any political actions or moral implications associated with sexuality.

Be it negative or positive.

Moving on.

I want to specifically discuss the idea of having more than 2 parents as legal guardians. Personally I've always been of the mind that it takes a village to raise a child. In today's world of TV parenting and actual parents both working 40 hours a week to keep bills afloat, it's no wonder that these situations are potentially on the rise.

A team of adults getting together to raise a child, providing financial, and other means of support, to me is far better than having a single parent household or even a two person household where both work full time jobs.

I am not discrediting single parents, or double parent situations at all, I'm simply stating that the more responsible adults the child is exposed to, than the odds of raising a healthy and productive child are far better.

IMO of course. ( I don't claim to have any scientific knowledge to back that up, just personal opinion from personal experience and historical, socio-economic observations.)

So what do you think ATS? Is it a good idea to move again to the idea that more than 2 people should be responsible for raising a child? That the decline of having parents on hand all the time ( meaning not having the need for both parents to work full time) is the primary reason for our decline in our youth's ability to develop healthy relationships and be successful in academics and business?

There are certainly legal ramifications such as child support payments and potential spousal support issues that could arise from such agreements. To me they would be no different than your classic 2 person scenario, with the added complexity of a third set of rights.

Thoughts?

~Tenth
edit on 2/8/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

a married lesbian couple and a gay man

Since when is Florida a gay marriage state?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I think the biological father and mother should be on the birth certificate.

The mother's partner has nothing to do with the birth of this person. She can be considered a legal guardian, but not an actual parent. I disagree with the ruling.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
So long as the child is raised in a loving home I don't think it matters one iota what it says on a silly little piece of paper.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

It's not.

You don't need to be married to have children or have your name on a birth certificate.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
So let me get this straight. Conditions have been set to make raising your kid on your own nearly impossible, and a defeated people accept it. Time passes, and people start to entertain notions of gay marriage and multiple parents as acceptable.

Do you people honestly not smell an agenda here? You renorm the family into something utterly unnatural, by reprogramming them via liberal education, and continue to step it up a notch until people have no clue what is right or wrong. Who benefits the most? The people causing the most harm to you while you look the other way.

This defies common sense.

edit on 8-2-2013 by nomnom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
From a social standpoint, I see nothing wrong with it. However, I feel that allowing more than two parents on the birth certificate might open the door to legal issues such as the resolution of custody suits and maternity leave disputes.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I dont know about this one. If one partner left... could she or he be paying child support even though the other 2 parents live in the house and that dual income counted in the CS formula? Visitation? Holy cow... I can think of numerous issues this will raise.. legally speaking.
As far as real life kid raising? Have at it. The more people the kid has backing him or her up.. the better. The more contribution to his or her life and actual guardianship.. I like that idea and many cultures have this though not a legal document or sperm donor situation.
I guess we will have to wait 18 yrs from now and see just what good and bad arises from it all!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nomnom

So let me get this straight. Conditions have been set to make raising your kid on your own nearly impossible, and a defeated people accept it. Time passes, and people start to entertain notions of gay marriage and multiple parents as acceptable.

I fail to see how any of that is relevant to the conversation.

Do you people honestly not smell an agenda here? You renorm the family into something utterly unnatural, by reprogramming them via liberal education, and continue to step it up a notch until people have no clue what is right or wrong. Who benefits the most? The people causing the most harm to you while you look the other way.

You do realize that it is the way we raise children today, that is unnatural right? For thousands of years human children were raised collectively, among dozens of adults throughout their childhood. Only in the last 100 years have we started this whole, single family unit, two parent nonsense.

It's nice to see that you threw in a political attack against 'liberals' in there as well, which just goes to show that your political ( and perhaps religious) ideology seems to take precedent over the needs of children.

Actually, can you explain what "Liberal Education" is please? And how it differs from any other kind of education?

~Tenth
edit on 2/8/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The agreement is probably more of an acceptance of the situation thats in front of the judge if all 3 parties are happy for it to be seen as such and they want to ensure that all 3 persons are allowed parental rights then i don;t see the problem as they've entered into it eyes well open

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by nomnom

I fail to see how any of that is relevant to the conversation.

That makes sense. You are thoroughly brainwashed.

You do realize that it is the way we raise children today, that is unnatural right? For thousands of years human children were raised collectively, among dozens of adults throughout their childhood. Only in the last 100 years have we started this whole, single family unit, two parent nonsense.

I challenge you to provide evidence for this. It's a lie.

It's nice to see that you threw in a political attack against 'liberals' in there as well, which just goes to show that your political ( and perhaps religious) ideology seems to take precedent over the needs of children.

This is a lie as well. They're interconnected.

Actually, can you explain what "Liberal Education" is please? And how it differs from any other kind of education?

~Tenth

Liberal education, ie indoctrination into communism and it's ideologies. You have been thoroughly brainwashed to accepting idealistic values that have no basis in reality. Period.

Real education existed in the united states prior to the 1960's. If you bothered to research this, you'd see it is true. "Change agents" (sound familiar??) were introduced into the media, education, and government during the same period. We've all been demoralized, and renormalized into accepting assumptions that have no existence.
edit on 8-2-2013 by nomnom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Juggernog

It's not.

You don't need to be married to have children or have your name on a birth certificate.

~Tenth

I know but the article said " a married lesbian couple" but I guess its just poor editing.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
"It takes a village to raise a child."

Or at least that's what the sentiment used to be.
Now our kids are lucky if they're being raised by one parent.

This child is a very lucky one indeed.

new topics

top topics

join