It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sneaker tax? Illinois considers a 25-cent charge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

State Rep. Will Davis, D-Hazel Crest, wants to create a new tax that would generate an estimated $3 million annually for a youth job preparation program. He said the added cost would likely go unnoticed by most consumers, while helping finance a program for kids during tight budget times.

“Everywhere, funding is challenged,”Davis said. “I see it as a uniquely creative way of helping youth.”

Sourc e

I personally think this is a fairly good idea and it doesn't put too much hardship on the consumers while gathering needed funds for youth programs. Most people might see it that way but in a time of counting and pinching pennies would an extra $.25 bee too much of a hardship for a worthy cause?

Not everyone thinks this is a good idea as seen in Rob Karrs statement.

Rob Karr, senior vice president of Illinois Retail Merchants Association, said the organization will fight the proposal because it would create an unnecessary amount of additional paperwork for store owners.

“It imposes significant administrative burdens on the retailer,” Karr said.

I can see the point in making more work for the retailers but this type of taxation is already in place for other products like tires, cigarets, alcohol, etc. so why not when it goes to helping the community?

How say you ATS?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Please explain what they plan on accomplishing with $3 million? I can tell you right here and now it won't be much, and it won't be long before they are back asking for more money once the program is established and they realize it is immediately underfunded. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Let me guess they will pay someone to manage the program for a small fee of 250k a year. It would end up like non-profits like United way that spend more on management then they do on helping people.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

According to the article,

There are a handful of YouthBuild programs throughout Illinois. In McLean County, for example, YouthBuild participants can learn basic construction skills while they build homes for low-income residents.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Sounds like another attempt to increase taxes; taking more money away from the people who earn it and giving it to the government. "It's for the children" seems to be an easy excuse to try to make it more appealing.

I suspect that the money will likely go into a "general" fund account where there is no accounting of where it is used.

Now, why go after sports shoes if the First Lady wants the kids to be more active? Sorry. I think I just answered that by asking it.
On one end, they tell everyone to do something, and on the other end, they create a source of revenue for themselves that ties in with what everyone would purchase to help them do what the politicians are wanting them to do.

Maybe later, they can then "reward" the people who bought the shoes and are following the politically correct agenda (rebates/gifts/etc), while "not rewarding" those wanting another agenda.

I'm getting tired of all these new excuses to raise taxes. Maybe I'll feel better when I don't have any more for them to tax and end up on the receiving/handout end of things.
...I probably won't though. Because by then, there probably won't be anything left to give out.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Each program that someone thinks is a good idea, and there are a ton of them, needs $$.

But WHY should people be forced to donate toward some politicians choice of projects?

Have you heard the term nickle and dimed to death? We have been so over burdened that half the country is on aid already!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Agreed (sorry for the one word reply)

top topics

join