It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massachusetts-State of Emergency

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Oh yeah, and it's no coincidence that nearly instantly out of the void came tons of reassurances, "this is for your own safety", "this is for the greater good", it will "lessen problems".

Right, that is EXACTLY what every tyrant through history said right before they enacted new draconian measures upon their respective target populaces.

Every time they take a freedom away, there will be a "good reason" for "your safety". Because we are slaves and our safety matters a lot, and of course they won't allow us to see to our own safety in the self-responsible free human manner.

They actually knowingly think of us as a slave force, "human resources" if you will, that is why we are treated this way in the open.

Hell, all they would have to do to call martial law and have us begging for tyranny is to merely switch the power off. That's the logical next step coming if they actually do want to step things up a notch in the next few years. Then we will know just how hell-bent they really are on consolidating power permanently, but also by that time it will be far too late to mitigate.

So yes, this is worth raising a big outcry over even though the storm itself is a trivial matter. The non-trivial aspect is calling martial law of sorts, which is unacceptable and anti-freedom.

Remember what Stalin supposedly said "There are many people with many problems, get rid of the people, get rid of the problems". And here is the reworked version I devised for the express use by the Mass. Govt "There are many vehicles with many snow-related problems, get rid of the vehicles, get rid of the snow-related problems".

This is actually the type of logic and the train of thought they are applying to this. It's pretty absurd but most likely quite accurate.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge

Originally posted by muzzleflash

A nanny state has a tendency to insult our intelligence, IMO... but maybe just to us older generations ?

You mean anyone who can remember the past?

Anyone who remembers living in a United States that wasn't absolute tyranny in our faces daily?

Yeah, that must be us "old farts".

Okay okay... maybe I'm the only "old fart" who remembers life before helmets, and seatbelts, and dog licenses, etc.

nope, the seatbelt law is one that totally pi**es me off......that is someone only putting thier life at risk, so it should be a choice, not a law.....and fishing licenses, dog licenses, yeah......kinda dumb especially 30 dollars for a fishing license.....just a tad much.

edit on 9-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: reworded

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkphoenix77

I dunno, I think you are all overreacting a tad. I believe in the Bill of Rights as strongly as any. This is a minor inconvenience....nothing more.

I disagree strongly, your position is an affront to the Bill of Rights and it's worst enemy.

"I believe in Freedom, until a _____ happens". Fill in blank with whatever crisis you can imagine.

At least the outspoken admitted opposition of freedom are known as enemies and can be handled as such, but those claiming to love Freedom, yet willing to justify expelling it merely for the sake of expediency as a result of some crisis or another, are the real cause of the overall loss of freedom and it's denigration.

Forgive me for my cynicism and acceptance of harsh realities, but I am afraid you have taken an anti-freedom position without even knowing it. This is a dangerous position, I advise you to reevaluate it closely.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Here's a scary thought...

What if the governments are right in thinking that the masses are too idiotic nowadays to use their grey matter in storm situations ?

What if this "martial law" thing works and this starts to become the norm for every potential "bad" blizzard, thunderstorm, hurricane, tornado, windstorm, flood, etc... nationwide ?

Would most people consider that to be a good thing ?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by strokker

People can die in those conditions. Don't whine about Katrina then if you think the State of Massachusetts should not issue warnings and be willing to use resources to save stragglers on the road.

Here I was told that repair companies service heaters same day because people die in cold. I love a good conspiracy but this is not one of them in my view.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   

I dunno, I think you are all overreacting a tad. I believe in the Bill of Rights as strongly as any. This is a minor inconvenience....nothing more.

I disagree strongly, your position is an affront to the Bill of Rights and it's worst enemy.

"I believe in Freedom, until a _____ happens". Fill in blank with whatever crisis you can imagine.

At least the outspoken admitted opposition of freedom are known as enemies and can be handled as such, but those claiming to love Freedom, yet willing to justify expelling it merely for the sake of expediency as a result of some crisis or another, are the real cause of the overall loss of freedom and it's denigration.

Forgive me for my cynicism and acceptance of harsh realities, but I am afraid you have taken an anti-freedom position without even knowing it. This is a dangerous position, I advise you to reevaluate it closely.

Freedom stops at the point it infringes on another person, by joyriding in a snowstorm you are at risk of being in the way of the rescue squad and that is an infringement on someone else's right to live in an emergency. I don't think the Constitution applies here, it is a snowstorm that will be over by later on today, so sorry I do feel some people are overreacting a bit when it comes to this one instance. If you don't agree that is fine, it is your choice but this is my opinion regarding it.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Correct sir, most authoritarian violence purveyors will refuse to look at anything that proves they are criminals who hate human rights.

They will create any type of lies or misinformation to convince themselves, not us particularly, that what they are doing is the right thing because if they realized for one moment they are the real tyrants and their system/actions are one of the fundamental reasons this nation is collapsing into outright tyranny, they would probably hate themselves.

You are correct about the right to travel including all forms of locomotion "common in the day".
Humans have a right to travel freely without harassment or fear of arrest.
This right is infringed constantly though, sadly.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Here's a scary thought...

What if the governments are right in thinking that the masses are too idiotic nowadays to use their grey matter in storm situations ?

What if this "martial law" thing works and this starts to become the norm for every potential "bad" blizzard, thunderstorm, hurricane, tornado, windstorm, flood, etc... nationwide ?

Would most people consider that to be a good thing ?

tornado's and thunderstorms are bad examples, they happen with very little warning. The rest are up to the discretion of your local governor. It isn't martial law, it is a state of emergency and is far from the first time we have had one. What do you want me to say? Yes people should have common sense, they certainly used to I thought, but take a good look at the world we live in and then tell me honestly you think people have an abundance of common sense?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
He just did didn't he?
2nd

Gs

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Freedom stops at the point it infringes on another person, by joyriding in a snowstorm you are at risk of being in the way of the rescue squad and that is an infringement on someone else's right to live in an emergency. I don't think the Constitution applies here, it is a snowstorm that will be over by later on today, so sorry I do feel some people are overreacting a bit when it comes to this one instance. If you don't agree that is fine, it is your choice but this is my opinion regarding it.

So joyriding at any time in any populated area should be banned since it obviously creates burdens to the emergency system? Especially in big cities with higher traffic volume.

Should people need papers proving they are going to work or to the doctor in the future? To prevent this evil joyriding?

What is the excuse for people out walking around? Are they in the way as well?

The Constitution applies everywhere all the time, there is no area/time where it suddenly doesn't apply.
Fear is not a good enough reason to revoke freedom for a "few days". In fact fear of disaster is the #1 reason all tyrants use to trick the people and usurp power.

Also, since your freedom of speech is favoring martial law which creates conditions whereby I lose my freedom, shouldn't your freedom to have an opinion stop there? Should you be gagged because you are against freedom?

By taking away people's freedom it doesn't protect freedom. It tramples and eradicates it.
You cannot protect people by caging them.

What ever happen to human dignity ?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

I don't know. Maybe our society really has devolved into a bunch of morons, maybe not.

Yes, this is just one really bad blizzard, and yes it makes sense to force people off the streets (in the cities) for the sake of emergency crews, and yes it seems a little hyperbole to be spouting "loss of freedom" and "tyranny" and so on...

But really, you just can't help in thinking the whole "slippery slope" thing in the back of your mind. Especially when that so-called "state of emergency" is being enforced by means of threat to heavy fines and jail time across an entire state. Not just a city here and there, but an entire state ?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I can't believe there are people actually complaining about this.

The state of emergency is just common sense. People shouldn't be driving to taco bell in blizzard conditions. This will cause more car accidents, deaths, etc.

You don't have the right to drive, hence why you have to get a license. It's a priveledge.

Go make snow angels or something...

lol

edit on 9-2-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
lol

Go make snow angels

Not allowed to, that would require walking across the street to the park.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   

So joyriding at any time in any populated area should be banned since it obviously creates burdens to the emergency system? Especially in big cities with higher traffic volume.

Should people need papers proving they are going to work or to the doctor in the future? To prevent this evil joyriding?

What is the excuse for people out walking around? Are they in the way as well?

The Constitution applies everywhere all the time, there is no area/time where it suddenly doesn't apply.
Fear is not a good enough reason to revoke freedom for a "few days". In fact fear of disaster is the #1 reason all tyrants use to trick the people and usurp power.

Also, since your freedom of speech is favoring martial law which creates conditions whereby I lose my freedom, shouldn't your freedom to have an opinion stop there? Should you be gagged because you are against freedom?

By taking away people's freedom it doesn't protect freedom. It tramples and eradicates it.
You cannot protect people by caging them.

What ever happen to human dignity ?

You may have a different opinion if it was your life on the edge hanging in the balance because someone really needed to get to the Wendy's take our window before it closed at 1AM and drove thier car in a ditch at the end of your drive blocking an ambulance from getting to you when seconds count.

We can have different opinions, it's ok, people do from time to time. And the wonderful thing about freedom of speech is we can disagree and not be penalized for thinking differently, so no....a gagging would not be in order.

As far as people walking around I say if they are not on city/town streets being plowed then if someone wants to go out and walk in a field somewhere that is thier business. They don't have a right to be on the streets getting in the way of plows though. The streets need to be cleared for emergency vehicles.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   

It is part of the middle of the slippery slope which we embarked on a long time ago.
This event is just a metaphor of the larger picture surrounding us.

Look around, they are trying to make guns illegal, smoking illegal, even attacking various religions or making specific political opinions taboo or unacceptable. This isn't abnormal except they are actually gaining huge followings of supporters these days and these "wacky proposals" are being considered seriously by many.

All around us the slippery slope is well into action.
Pandora's box was opened a long time ago.

If we do not oust our tyrants and put into place strong measures to limit power, we will never solve this global problem humanity has been facing for all of known history. Humans have always been stupid to some extent or another, it's just the facts are that free humans are better off than enslaved ones.

I want a small govt of nice reasonable freedom loving statesmen not a gigantic one full of narcissistic haters who covet everything for themselves.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Urgent Immediate Broadcast

...COASTAL FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EST THIS
AFTERNOON...

* LOCATION...THE MID COAST OF MAINE SOUTHWARD TO THE SEACOAST OF
NEW HAMPSHIRE.

* COASTAL FLOODING...STRONG NORTH-NORTHEASTERLY WINDS WILL PUSH
STORM TIDES TO AROUND 13 FEET....IF NOT A LITTLE HIGHER THIS
MORNING. THIS COMBINED WITH OFFSHORE SEAS OF 25 TO 35 FEET WILL
RESULT IN MODERATE TO MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING... ESPECIALLY ALONG
THE MAINE COAST SOUTH OF PORTLAND TO THE NEW HAMPSHIRE SEACOAST.
RESIDENTS IN AREAS TYPICALLY PRONE TO SIGNIFICANT COASTAL
FLOODING ARE URGED TO TAKE ACTION NOW...AND TO CONSIDER THAT
BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL BE OCCURRING AS THE TIDE RISES TO IT/S
HIGHEST LEVELS EARLY THIS MORNING.

* IMPACTS...THE TIDE LEVEL WILL CAUSE FLOODING AT THE PORTLAND
PIER...PARTS OF THE EASTERN PROM TRAIL...AND THE OCEAN GATEWAY
PARKING LOT...AS WELL AS OTHER VULNERABLE PARKING LOTS ALONG
COMMERCIAL STREET. IT COULD ALSO BLOW OUT MANHOLE COVERS DUE TO
INCREASED FLOWS. ALSO...AREAS PRONE TO FLOODING ALONG THE YORK
AND ROCKINGHAM COUNTY COASTS WILL SEE ROAD FLOODING...WITH SOME
DAMAGE POSSIBLE TO VULNERABLE HOMES AND OTHER STRUCTURES.

Shades of Sandy; not as high, but awful just the same. Evacuate but don't use a vehicle? It doesn't say to evacuate, it says to "take action now". But, in some cases that would mean to evacuate right? It's a no win situation up there!
edit on 9/2/2013 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   

reply to post by Darkphoenix77

I don't know. Maybe our society really has devolved into a bunch of morons, maybe not.

Yes, this is just one really bad blizzard, and yes it makes sense to force people off the streets (in the cities) for the sake of emergency crews, and yes it seems a little hyperbole to be spouting "loss of freedom" and "tyranny" and so on...

But really, you just can't help in thinking the whole "slippery slope" thing in the back of your mind. Especially when that so-called "state of emergency" is being enforced by means of threat to heavy fines and jail time across an entire state. Not just a city here and there, but an entire state ?

Well as I said, fines I can see (though will admit they seem a bit harsh and excessive), jail time, um, no....totally uncalled for imo.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
This will cause more car accidents, deaths, etc.

So can driving in the rain, wind, dust, new moon, overcast skies, or just plain driving.....whats your point?

You don't have the right to drive, hence why you have to get a license. It's a priveledge.

You have every right to travel freely, do you want the legal backing to that? Regarding your license, it is several things but not a privilege.

People are "complaining" and being "cry babies" because the Government just basically dictated and decreed that they alone can control a Natural Right of a human being; the freedom to travel, traverse, move, live their lives; all with a stroke of a pen and under penalty of the law.

Yes it is common sense to not go out during this period of course, but the State has decided that your lives are not important (except for the exemptions of course of those they "allow" to be out in the storm) and they know best.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   

It is part of the middle of the slippery slope which we embarked on a long time ago.
This event is just a metaphor of the larger picture surrounding us.

Look around, they are trying to make guns illegal, smoking illegal, even attacking various religions or making specific political opinions taboo or unacceptable. This isn't abnormal except they are actually gaining huge followings of supporters these days and these "wacky proposals" are being considered seriously by many.

All around us the slippery slope is well into action.
Pandora's box was opened a long time ago.

If we do not oust our tyrants and put into place strong measures to limit power, we will never solve this global problem humanity has been facing for all of known history. Humans have always been stupid to some extent or another, it's just the facts are that free humans are better off than enslaved ones.

I want a small govt of nice reasonable freedom loving statesmen not a gigantic one full of narcissistic haters who covet everything for themselves.

I understand your point of view, I just think there are far better things to fight against regarding the erosion of our rights than this is. California and Diane Frankenstein trying to one up the NY Gun ban for example.

edit on 9-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

This is a case of an over zealous State Official pacing constraints on the puplic as to not look as if he did not take control of a dangerous situation from the get go.

They close off some of the roads around here, the wind can get so strong I was told it can flip a semi over, so with snow that wouldn't be so good. Maybe your area is not as dangerous. I know people who keep blankets, boots, food, water, flashlights and other stuff in their car saying you can die if you get stuck in snow on one of the country roads. You have to be prepared ahead of time.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join