It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massachusetts-State of Emergency

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

I see from your panel you are from Florida. Compare this to a hurricane. Wouldn't it be prudent to plan for the worst? Even if it doesn't happen?

Prudent planning for an approaching hurricane, consists of preparing your property for high winds and rains, as best as you can, and providing for your family's well being, for a few days or weeks, tops. And, there have been many instances where an Emergency has been declared by the state, but it was always isolated to the affected areas, in the aftermath.

Like a tornado, only much broader, a hurricane only causes major destruction in an acute path consisting of areas very near the center of the storm. And although the cloud structure and feeder bands can cover the entire state, only a portion of the state is seriously affected.

Perhaps this is different from snow storms, in that respect...
edit on 2/8/2013 by GoOfYFoOt because: i can

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt

It actually is. These storms can hang on a looonnnngggggggg time. Snow. Blowing snow. Ice if it's warm enough. There go the power lines. A NE is a nasty storm. I compared it to a hurricane to show the importance of the storm. The snow is slowing down here now. Only 14 inches. That said, 14 inches is different in different parts of the world. Here it's an inconvenience. West coast would be shut down for days. They're not used to it. That's why I think that these are good measures. To protect the people from what they probably are not ready for.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

From the OP (added emphasis)...

His spokeswoman for Emergency Management- Renee Felding has announced that if you see anyone driving or walking to call 911 and emergency service personell will come out and pick them up and remove them to an emergency shelter!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RegisteredUser

No I'm NOT kidding about being imprisioned in a shelter - Katrina is a great example.
Your comment regarding airline flight cancellations is not well taken and moot.
Staying in an airport or in airline provided accommodations due to flight cancellations has nothing to do with my response. Travel much?

And your comment regarding the number of cold related deaths is neither to the point nor relevant to this particular discussion - besides, the homeless should already be in shelters or in their preferred hovels - not walking on foot. But to your point - no the number of cold related deaths doesn't "phase" me.

ganjoa

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by RegisteredUser
reply to post by bekod

The governor signed an executive order imposing the statewide travel ban, believed to be the first of its kind since the blizzard of 1978

Maybe thats what I heard this morning, I thought for sure I heard 1888, but I was also sleeping. Either way, safety come first.

This is what they were talking about on the radio this morning

In Boston, the storm had the potential to take out century-old records. The city’s biggest snowstorms since 1892 were a 27.5-inch blast in February 2003 and a 27.1-inch dumping exactly 35 years ago, in 1978.

usnews.nb... cnews.com/_news/2013/02/07/16871522-blizzard-alert-northeast-snowstorm-could-be-among-the-worst-of-all-time?lite

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

It actually is. These storms can hang on a looonnnngggggggg time. Snow. Blowing snow. Ice if it's warm enough. There go the power lines. A NE is a nasty storm. I compared it to a hurricane to show the importance of the storm. The snow is slowing down here now. Only 14 inches. That said, 14 inches is different in different parts of the world. Here it's an inconvenience. West coast would be shut down for days. They're not used to it. That's why I think that these are good measures. To protect the people from what they probably are not ready for.

Exactly....I remember the bad snow storm, in Atlanta I believe, that stranded motorists' and their vehicles, bumper to bumper...all snowed in, on the beltway....

And duration is the only wide spread significance for hurricanes, where excessive rainfall can cause major flooding and related problems, outside of the eye's immediate path.

I was quite young, 6 to be exact, when we left Ohio for Florida. What little I remember of heavy snow, was more of a playground than a threat to our safety, as I recall...

Stay safe up there! And, if you can help it, do what big brother says!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

I'm sure that's for people stranded...

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
That is what a State of Emergency is and is perfectly legal. State Governors are granted the power to declare a State of Emergency as well as Martial Law as long as there is justifiable reason, the same as the President. Here in the northeast we are facing a very dangerous storm and it is well within the Constitution for Presidents and Governors to have this authority and has always been this way.

A state of emergency is a governmental declaration which usually suspends a few normal functions of the executive, legislative and judicial powers, alert citizens to change their normal behaviors, or order government agencies to implement emergency preparedness plans. It can also be used as a rationale for suspending rights and freedoms, even if guaranteed under the constitution. Such declarations usually come during a time of natural or man made disaster, during periods of civil unrest, or following a declaration of war or situation of international or internal armed conflict. Justitium is its equivalent in Roman law.

wiki

it is not constitutional and there is no authority granted in the constitution or any state constitution period to suspend rights in an emergency or declare martial law! He can declare a state of emergency to alert people to danger but cannot declare martial law nor suspend anyone's rights. if people want to be out in the storm its none of his damn business.

To bad people are ignorant of their constitution and rights...

This is all part of a coordinated effort to subjugate America. Just like the 7 states introducing legislation to require gun insurance. Yeah right they all thought of it at the same time. Some one or group is pulling the strings at the top. Several states like NY CA CO proposing new gun bans registration and even confiscation etc... This is it folks they are in full swing. It just has not spilled over into open warfare yet.

All the things we see right now starting with Sandyhook are all part of a master plan to lock us down and remove our freedoms. Unfortunately it seems most will not get it till it breaks out in open warfare. Don't start anything but be prepared to defend yourselves....

edit on 8-2-2013 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

First my point about the cold weather deaths is very relevent. The state of emergency has everything to do with safety

But to your point - no the number of cold related deaths doesn't "phase" me.
That is just cold hearted beyond words. How can you compare Katrina to this snowstorm if you don't even care about the loss of life?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

By that reasoning the airlines that cancelled all flights have also infringed on your basic human right to freeze to death.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

No, they infringed on your right to die in a plane crash. If you don't know your rights, you cold lose them and stuff.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Euthanasia isn't a right in the US.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Stay safe up there!

Thanks man. I think I'm better off than most though. There's a family owned convenience store, beer store and a Tim Horton's right across the street.

Stay safe everyone.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Yuo can yak all day about constitution and rights during peacetime, but when a declared emergency call is made, of a dire situation and immediate threat to the safety of the People, the issue is who will take responsibility if lives are lost?

Do remember, SOE is not forever, but only for a limited time as long as the genuine threat lasts and in this SOE instance - a very real storm.

If the People foolishly take your advice, and they lose their lives as a result, can you assume that responsiblity and sleep peacefully at night, even if you will not be charged as they made their choice?

That storm may be bad, or perhaps just a breeze, but none knows for sure, for no man can be certain for sure with Nature. Prevention is better than cure. Staying safe for a few hours or days is not going to infringe or make the citizen lose their rights, but if they do not heed emergency warnings and lose their lives, or the lives of others trying to save them....it is forever.

Take care all...
edit on 8-2-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Stay safe up there!

Thanks man. I think I'm better off than most though. There's a family owned convenience store, beer store and a Tim Horton's right across the street.

Stay safe everyone.

Knock it off with the Canadian speak, eh !

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
For those who aren't familiar with them, a 'blizzard' usually means more than an inch of snow an hour and winds over 50 MPH; this means white-out conditions over a very wide area and incredibly hazardous driving.

Consider the dangers to the snow removal crews if only one abandoned car left in the middle of a lane, or sticking out into a lane, becomes covered with white snow to the point where it's a barely-seen lump, in the dark, just outside the limits of your headlights and looming up quickly. And you're driving a giant plow.

One of the issues people also seem unaware of are those employees in hospitals and other like-facilities who either can't leave at a certain time, or who will have huge difficulty getting into work for the afternoon and evening shifts. Everything that can be closed, should be closed, to make sure that emergency facilities are able to operate without some idiots deciding they need to go to the mall getting in the way.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

It is quite Constitutional. The founders were very clear that Governors shall possess "supreme Executive Powers". Sometimes you have to read beyond the Constitution to actually understand the Constitution. These executive powers include the authority to declare martial law.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
SHEESH

For one

There is no "Right to Drive".. Check the Constitution and understand the facts

The Highways are owned by the government.. either local, county or state.. They "GRANT" you a license to drive on them if you qualify within the parameters "THEY" set.. If you don't, you can not drive on them

You may drive on your own property all you want, but not on anyone else's unless you meet whatever qualifications they set

Yes, I have heard all the many and varied arguments, I used to teach Constitutional Law to academy cops, and they are all moot.. YES the government is of the people and by the people but that does NOT make the highways YOURS.. It mean YOU grant the elected officials the power to regulate who drives and when..ie.. YOU

The problem is always if the government does mandate an emergency, some say they are over-reacting
If the government does not and someone dies.. They did not do enough...

Those that hate the government will always hate them and never agree with any decisions they make

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Euthanasia isn't a right in the US.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

You started it. I don't know what the youth in Asia have to do with it anyway.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The National Guard has been called out now...

dun dun dun!!!!!!!!

ETA I hear boots outside! If I don't come back.... gahhhhhhh
edit on 8-2-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This is generally done for a multitude of reasons, one being to alleviate the load on first responders having to rescue people who really don't need to be out in the weather but for some reason insist on doing so, and another being so that emergency crews can clear the streets and things like rail stations and airports more easily to restore order, and yet another and maybe the best to show the seriousness of the situation. Guess someone has to instill a little common sense in a world where common sense is getting scarcer and scarcer.

reply to post by CranialSponge

Seriously taunting, more like. That of course is up to employers and employees, and yes, for the most part work, schools and most non-essential services and businesses shut down...state of emergency or not. But you probably already knew this.

edit on 2/8/2013 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I don't know about the legalities but I do know that it has been snowing since just after noon here in Toronto and we are filling up.

In Canada I don't think they would ever go so far as to order people not to drive. They would close schools, performances and cancel flights if it was really bad, but as Murray McLaughlin said, the soul of the country is north of 60.

en.wikipedia.org...

In Canada, the 60th parallel constitutes the mainland boundary between the northern territories of Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut to the north, and the western provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba to the south.

Accordingly, "north of 60" is an expression often used for the territories, although parts of Nunavut (the islands of Hudson Bay and James Bay) are located south of the 60th parallel, and parts of Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador are located north, to the east of Hudson Bay. A 1990s TV show on CBC about life in the Northwest Territories was called North of 60.

I've got to go into work tonight myself and I'll be leaving early, but I expect the buses and trains to trundle on as usual, damning the weather.

This is a serious storm.
edit on 8-2-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join