It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New virus alert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Watch out.

A new virus that appears to be a joke email is tricking web users. It is called 'Bagle.AT, Bagle.BB and Bagle.AU' Once it has infected the PC, it turns off security measures that usually protect the machine. On XP machines, 'Bagle.AT' tries to shut down the firewall and security centre systems.

Anti-virus firms are issuing high-level warnings about the new version of the Bagle e-mail program that seems to be catching a lot of people out.

The Windows virus grabs e-mail addresses from Microsoft Outlook and uses its own mail sending software to spread itself to new victims.

The virus can strike computers running Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 and XP.

Users will be infected if they open the attachment that travels with the e-mail.

Link

The body of the virus usually contains nothing but a smiley or emoticon. So remain vigiliant by watching out for emails with subject lines of:

• Re:,
  • Re: Hello
  • Re: Hi
  • Re: Thank you!
  • Re: Thanks

and update your anti-virus software.

• posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 04:58 PM
    link   
    Hey thanks for letting us know about this....For many people this will be the only warning they will get before this out break occurs....Kinda sad the people who write these things dont you think.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 05:22 PM
    link   
    thanks for the warning, Hyperen

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 05:30 PM
    link   

Originally posted by racos
    Kinda sad the people who write these things dont you think.

[Begin rant]
    What is more sad is the apparent lack of concern over diligence and security displayed by millions of e-mail users who willingly open every e-mail sent to them, the naivety of those who go to warez sites to download commercial software illegally (and thus install trojans in the process) and the naivety of those who use broadband connections and think their provider actually protects them.
    [/End rant]

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 05:36 PM
    link   
    Thanks Hyperen its time to update my virus definitions.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 05:40 PM
    link   
    There's more about Bagel at Trend Micro (it's a "low-medium" threat risk, and an "almost no risk" for properly educated and firewalled systems.) It also gives removal instructions, including "how to remove it the Really NastyWay (using regedit and other fun tools)

www.trendmicro.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 06:11 PM
    link   

Originally posted by titian
    [Begin rant]
    What is more sad is the apparent lack of concern over diligence and security displayed by millions of e-mail users who willingly open every e-mail sent to them,
    [/End rant]

Man I heard that. I surely don't understand these people.

Get a new car: read the book in the glove cmptmnt.
    Buy a new VCR/DVD player: read the book.
    Fill a new prescription: read the label.
    Buy a new PC: don't read a DAMN thing!!!

Do these people do nothing other than sit at the PC and wait for attchmnts to come thru?

Jeez.

And no, I have never, even with 1st PC, been infected or hacked.

Some security sites of interest, ESPECIALLY if you are new to computers !!

PC Security Online Scanning

Symantec Security / Virus Scan
    Trend Micro Virus Scan
    Sygate Security Scan

PC Security Information

Cexx Spyware/Adware/Malware Info & Removal Guide
    Help-Net-Security: Security Info Site
    Sophos: Understanding the Threats

Misfit

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 06:15 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Misfit
    And no, I have never, even with 1st PC, been infected or hacked.

neither have I, and you're right most people are pretty stupid opening a reply from someone they never sent an e-mail too, geez that's dumb

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 06:25 PM
    link   
    Thanks, and the WATS vote for speaking the truth goes to who?

Seriously, it all boils down to responsibility or lack thereof. And it can't be pinned on "old people" because my wife's grandparents are very careful despite their recent introduction to today's technology.

Computers should be shipped with A/V software installed and activated. Most are, but not all are activated and require interaction on the end user's part. They should have a default auto-update setup as well as a default nightly scan.

Broadband providers should provider cable/dsl routers with their modems. They should be locked out completely (no inbound ports mapped).

These two steps would alleviate so much of the problems. You'll never get away from the gullible ones who open every e-mail though -- unless you go back to the days of text-based e-mail with no attachments allowed. Then, how who we ever get those video clips of the lady flashing the BoSox pitcher in the playoffs?

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 06:36 PM
    link   

Broadband providers should provider cable/dsl routers with their modems. They should be locked out completely (no inbound ports mapped).

Most ISP's that offer home networking bundles do offer the router & installation.

The part about inbound ports tho - hell, these ppl can't even run scandisk (which is where? IN THE BOOK!!!), let alone set up trigger ports in a router, lol. That would start from the very first connection made.

Misfit

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 07:09 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Misfit
    Most ISP's that offer home networking bundles do offer the router & installation.

The part about inbound ports tho - hell, these ppl can't even run scandisk (which is where? IN THE BOOK!!!), let alone set up trigger ports in a router, lol. That would start from the very first connection made.

Misfit

They do? If so I stand corrected but I have never seen that. I've used roadrunner in two states and discussed DSL in both states -- and the router was never offered online or on the phone. I've got a LAN at home so I'd rather not use their router anyway.

About the ports -- that's why I said they should come configured that way -- and I believe most do. The Belkins (crapt) and Linksys (never a problem) come that way.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 07:19 PM
    link   
    Hey all, Panda software is a real good place for anti virus software and when you hook up with their free on line virus scan they have a virus alert slash security alerts they can hook you up with that has the lastest alerts.

www.pandasoftware.com

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 07:48 PM
    link   
    I did some checking.

Time Warner, through its RoadRunner service, offers software-based firewall protection via its EZ Armor Security Suite product; but that only works for Windows PCs. The do offer wireless but I'm not sure if that includes a router -- and I don't feel like waiting on hold on a Friday night to ask them.

I really don't think this is the best protection though. Wired routers (4 network ports) are running in the $50 range now, IMO that's very affordable versus the time spent having to rebuild a machine (or paying someone to do so).

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 06:51 AM
    link   

They do? If so I stand corrected but I have never seen that. I've used roadrunner in two states and discussed DSL in both states -- and the router was never offered online or on the phone. I've got a LAN at home so I'd rather not use their router anyway.

About the ports -- that's why I said they should come configured that way -- and I believe most do. The Belkins (crapt) and Linksys (never a problem) come that way.

Ya, like here, BellSouth (crap, heh) has a home networking plan, comes with router and I'm pretty sure it's a wireless setup, otherwise there's a lot of extra work for install.

Let me re-iterate on the inbound. I should have said 'first connection for many apps'. That being stuff like eMule, FTP/Web server, Trillian transfers, webcams - anything that is 'not of the norm' for internet activity (web - port 80/8080, FTP incoming - port 21, etc).

Misfit

new topics

top topics

join