It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Claims Solar Won't Work in America Because It's Not Sunny Like Germany

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Fox News Claims Solar Won't Work in America Because It's Not Sunny Like Germany

"The industry's future looks dim," intoned host Gretchen Carlson at the beginning of the segment, which was preserved for posterity by the liberal blog Media Matters for America. She and her co-host went on to ridicule Obama's "failed" solar subsidies, adding, "The United States simply hasn't figured out how to do solar cheaply and effectively. You look at the country of Germany, it's working out great for them." Near the end of the segment, it occurred to Carlson to ask her expert guest, Fox Business reporter Shibani Joshi, why it might be that Germany's solar-power sector is doing so much better. "What was Germany doing correct? Are they just a smaller country, and that made it more feasible?" Carlson asked.
Joshi's jaw-dropping response: "They're a smaller country, and they've got lots of sun. Right? They've got a lot more sun than we do." In case that wasn't clear enough for some viewers, Joshi went on: "The problem is it's a cloudy day and it's raining, you're not gonna have it." Sure, California might get sun now and then, Joshi conceded, "but here on the East Coast, it's just not going to work."

According to Wikipedia, Shibani Joshi holds an MBA from Harvard Business School. Apparently they don’t teach common sense at Harvard.

Incredible. I’ll refrain from offering any personal opinions about Fox News but I think it’s pretty self-evident that Fox is in the pocket of the Oil, Gas and Coal industries.

According to maps put out by the U.S. Department of Energy's National Renewable Energy Laboratory, virtually the entirety of the continental United States gets more sun than even the sunniest part of Germany.

Honestly, this type of dis-information reporting disgusts me.

We (the US) should be leading the world in Solar Energy technologies and producing more green energy than anyone and frankly, I’m ashamed that we don’t.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
But what does the very fact that they even publish these types of reports say about the average American Citizen. Fox must think that people will just lap this up to have even tried saying it. Are the people in the USA really that gullible? I don't think that some are.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
There is a huge dumb fan base for Fox, that just licks the retarded-ness that oozes out of their "news".

There news is like entertainment... its like they try to exaggerated things and take things out of quote. Only in America would a station like that would get high rating.

I watched all the idiots on that station, and i swear all of my high school students are smarter than them.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

It's hard to say if people in the US are really that gullible or not but Fox News consitantly dominates the ratings....

edit on 8-2-2013 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

A quick search resulted this:
Annual sunshine in Germany

Annual sunshine in United States

Yup, that looks like an outright lie.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
If a person gets some sun, the power not being used at that time, gets stored in the batteries.

I don't know very much about it, because the cost to run a house is in the tens of thousands to set up. Once it's set up, you just have to be smart about your consumption.

If it wasn't so expensive to set up, I would know more about it, because I would be using it.
Canada is definitely sunny enough, there are lots of people up here off the grid.

The gas/oil/electric companies don't want to lose all their customers, so the price of solar and geothermal remain too high for most people to afford.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I'm tempted to turn this into a Fox news bashing thread but I'd rather see some discussion about clean energy and what the real reasons are that the US hasn't embraced Solar Tech.

~ It's cheaper
~ It's cleaner
~ It's practically endless in supply
~ and a home Solar System can produce surplus energy that the Electric Co's have to buy from the producer!!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
with all the sunlight being reflected off the ice and snow I have to wear shades...and have a sunburn

In Canada
In fe brew ary

so much for the myth of no vitamine d in winter which is oft told round here

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
***FOX EXCLUSIVE***

Solar only works when you walk like this.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Exactly!

Painfully obvious that the so-called expert on Fox News doesn't know a damn thing about Solar Power.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I live in California.
I have solar

My average electric bill is $6 to $8 per month. Most of that is the charge for the meter.

Solar works in CA.

Lately, I've seen a number of projects where they put solar panels in parking lots. It provides shade for the cars and you get a lot of area for solar panels.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
This is what most days look like.
Danbones is right, you gotta wear shades

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
also we have my buddy down the road
he uses thrown out solar panels and I found a wayon the internet to use epsome salts to recondition supposed scrap batteries which I get for nothing...

www.ehow.com...
this worked very well provided the battery still gives above 10 volts or so in its scrap state
we use marine batteries with caps so there is easy access to the cells

he uses low drain electronics for TV ans stereo, LED lights, solar water (black pipe and or woodstove ) heating and spring water cooling....the wood is all dead fall and standing dead on his 4 acher property

he does just fine for almost no overhead

edit on 8-2-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
A thread was started about this yesterday. www.abovetopsecret.com...

I couldn't agree more though...what a pack of lies.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

Already posted

ATS

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Just a suggestion for those considering it.

If it's that expensive to set up you might wanna think about ordering it from a european company,
they've been using it for years and offer packages at very good rates.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blarneystoner
We (the US) should be leading the world in Solar Energy technologies and producing more green energy than anyone and frankly, I’m ashamed that we don’t.

Atleast you are the number 1 exporter of violence, bombing, death and lies. That alone should make you proud.l

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
You guys are so ridiculous.....you're so geared and biased to thinking EVERYTHING is a conspiracy and no one EVER makes mistakes, uneducated claims, or silly statements.

Obviously this guy made a dumb statement, but why do you guys instantly turn around and blame Fox News as a whole, or start making up baseless claims which are all your opinion about Fox's or ANY OTHER media outlets "evil agenda" LOL.

I can't believe one of you even brought sunshine statistics between the USA and Germany into this.

GOOD LORD PEOPLE! It's good to be educated by relax a little bit! We're all gonna die anyways.

SMH

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Skittle

Guess what Skittle, if it wasn't us, it'd be someone else. What do you have to say about that? Don't be mad a specific country, be mad at the nature of human beings.

Spending your time upset at the human condition will leave you pissed off for the rest of your life because it's never going to change. Just try to put blame where blame is due. NOT on a specific country, but human beings as a whole.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
with all the sunlight being reflected off the ice and snow I have to wear shades...and have a sunburn

In Canada
In fe brew ary

so much for the myth of no vitamine d in winter which is oft told round here

Vitamin D requires UV light. In the winter the sun is so far south that the UV rays bounce off the atmosphere before they can get to places like Canada. At least that is what I have read.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join