Is This Officer Over Stepping His Bounds: Cop Lays out a Soldier

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I feel it necessary to clarify my position. I have respect LEO's who have respect for others. My cousin is the police chief in the nearest town. He basically enforces common law but, if you drive by the local grade school, even a little over the school zone speed limit, near the time of start or finish of the school day, you will be paying the maximum fine for doing so. Any other time, even up to ten minutes before the school doors open, he will flash his lights at you, only. I may be biased, but to me, that is a good cop! That is only one small example of his prowess as a LEO. He is first and foremost, a kind and gentle human being but let me warn you, should you ever attempt to cause harm or injury, he is quite capable of putting a hurt on you that you'll not soon forget and will not hesitate to do so. I have the utmost respect for the majority of the officers in my area. They are real people first and LEO's second, just as we prefer round these parts.
edit on 8-2-2013 by ajay59 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Well said, ajay!

I was beginning to wonder where you stood, too.

I couldn't agree more! And I believe that, for the most part, cops are like you described your cousin. There are some bad apples (at all ranks) but most cops are good and have good intention.

To be fair though, I bet your cousin would not have put up with this kid running his hole and being aggressive that way. It would be interesting to hear his take on the video.

edit on 8-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by VekTorVik

Originally posted by ajay59
We can all protect ourselves with whatever we need, including arms, to get the job done.

Perhaps I misinterpreted what you were intending. I am just saying that because one cop slapped around some mouthy kid doesn't mean we should disband the whole police force.

I think they should be forced to have couples therapy together for a whole year.

"When did you know the relationship was falling apart?"

"When he slapped me down and screamed 'I'm a Marine...I'm a Marine'!"

"And how did that make you feel?"

No harm, no foul "pardner". Just saying, the police only show after the crime has been committed. The county sheriffs office are perfectly capable of investigating a crime and apprehending a suspect. Police presence only does good when the police are around. In most cases, it's pretty handy if the crime occurs around a doughnut shop or coffee shop.

Maybe that's the answer, more doughnut and coffee shops in every neighborhood!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ajay59

I think most people have respect for the law. Most people would not get confrontational with law enforcement. Most law enforcement would give you some notice if they felt you were crossing lines. The video in the OP was kind of like the perfect example of when dumb and dumber collide.

If the cop had instead been a tow truck driver this discussion wouldn't even be going on. Why, because it was a cop. Just like people are shocked when preachers are dishonest. Somehow their positions just cannot permit them to act like fools. Well, it happens.

I think what makes the OP such a good topic for discussion is the fact these typical situations where slightly skewed. Both parties were not the norm.

Most people know that if you run your mouth to enough people you will eventually find someone that will hit you. Most people, when presented with a confrontational person will not hit them.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Well said, ajay!

I was beginning to wonder where you stood, too.

I couldn't agree more! And I believe that, for the most part, cops are like you described your cousin. There are some bad apples (at all ranks) but most cops are good and have good intention.

To be fair though, I bet your cousin would not have put up with this kid running his hole and being aggressive that way. It would be interesting to hear his take on the video.

edit on 8-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

I cannot, of coarse speak on behalf of my cousin, nor could I guarantee what his reaction might be on any given day but I can however, feel confident enough to say that I believe he would not make physical contact with the young man unless turning his own aggression against him. Just out of curiosity, I will show him the video next time I see him and get his take on it.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I feel a bit of pride in saying that I approach every encounter with another in a manner that I would like to be confronted, with the local LEOs or whomever. There are a very few in my immediate area who command respect in a VERY assuming way and as I said, I try to be civil always. If these bad apples push, I will push back and have. Normally, showing them the error of their arrogance turned on them (in a non threatening way) brings them to their senses.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Star and flag to you sir because you put together a post that included a video and left an excellent explanation(for those of us who can't access videos) without being asked. I love to see well put together threads!

The cop has issues. I hate hearing reports like this because I truly think most cops are decent guys and it is half-cocked buffoons like this that make a bad name for everyone else.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I keep repeating this like a broken record, but the more and more former military that join law enforcement, the more and more types of incidents like this happen. There's some sort of disconnect in their heads between being in the military in combat situations (or simply from military training) that simply does not lend itself psychologically to the transition to law enforcement. I don't have the time or the will to do the research, but I betcha there's a correlation here.

This erm former marine shouldn't be a cop. He clearly does not belong in a job that has him dealing with the public.
edit on 2/8/2013 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I just took a look on their website (Vallejo-Police in Calif.).

First thing you read there is:

Our Mission
To provide professional law enforcement services that enhance, protect, and promote the quality of life for persons residing, visiting, or doing business in the City of Vallejo.

Of course!..., what else should they write on their site.
"We like to punch people in the face"

I'm sooo glad i live in germany..Cops are regulary very easygoing over here of course not all but most.
But i've never seen actions like this cops doing here.
US Cops are completely on a Power-Trip...,at least a lot of them, when i see all that police brutallity over there in the US.

BTW here you can see what you these su....rs get paid.
Link

Vallejo-Police
edit on 8/2/13 by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
This is why I would rather NOT report a crime than call the police...its a roll of the dice which kind you are going to get...and at the end of the day it just isn't worth the hassle 99% of the time.

consequently...this is also why I wish I could quit paying their salaries...

I grew up the son of a Police officer...family friends were all police officers...90% of them were really good guys...until you pissed them off. Then, only about 50% of them could handle their anger...

I don't believe in the amount of power the police have, I think its way too much for predominantly uneducated emotionally unstable gorillas...and abuse is rampant. They have a brotherhood mentality and stick together regardless...very few speak up and then they are black-balled. For most the retribution and exile from the brotherhood isn't worth speaking up over abuse...so they keep their mouth shut and move on.

Internal Affairs is a joke...self investigation is a joke...and for the obvious no duh common sense reason. As PUBLIC servants their "files" should be made public...what the officer referred to in the video regarding any disciplinary action being a private file is BS...as public servants the public should have access to ALL their job related information aside of personal addresses, phone numbers, SSN etc...

ANY disciplinary action or commendations should be public knowledge...as well as the reports and evidence that initiated those actions. Hiding that info from the public is horse S****

If I am paying your salary and you are acting like a jackass assaulting people and get a corrective action or disciplinary action ...I should have the option to put forth a motion to fire you and press charges on behalf of the "society" you are claiming to protect.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO
I just took a look on their website (Vallejo-Police in Calif.).

First thing you read there is:

Our Mission
To provide professional law enforcement services that enhance, protect, and promote the quality of life for persons residing, visiting, or doing business in the City of Vallejo.

Of course!..., what else should they write on their site.
"We like to punch people in the face"

I'm sooo glad i live in germany..Cops are regulary very easygoing over here of course not all but most.
But i've never seen actions like this cops doing here.
US Cops are completely on a Power-Trip...,at least a lot of them, when i see all that police brutallity over there in the US.

BTW here you can see what you these su....rs get paid.
Link

Vallejo-Police

I see where the biggest part of the problem lies. They are not Law Enforcement Officers, they are CODE Enforcement Officers!

Position Emp. Type Salary Closing Date Code Enforcement Officer

Do we need CODE Enforcement Officers or do we need LAW Enforcement Officers? Think deeply about this.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

I am soooo with you on this. Talk about the fox guarding the hen house! It kinda reminds ya of federal government, huh?

In summary, this person should not have the power over life and death over another person in the civilian sector when he clearly lacks the ability of restraint and control over his emotions!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
All cops are your enemy. They work for TPTB and enforce the staus quo. Avoid them, you have a high chance of being murdered. They are a nothing but a gang.

edit on 9-2-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by VekTorVik
reply to post by ajay59

I think most people have respect for the law. Most people would not get confrontational with law enforcement. Most law enforcement would give you some notice if they felt you were crossing lines. The video in the OP was kind of like the perfect example of when dumb and dumber collide.

If the cop had instead been a tow truck driver this discussion wouldn't even be going on. Why, because it was a cop. Just like people are shocked when preachers are dishonest. Somehow their positions just cannot permit them to act like fools. Well, it happens.

I think what makes the OP such a good topic for discussion is the fact these typical situations where slightly skewed. Both parties were not the norm.

Most people know that if you run your mouth to enough people you will eventually find someone that will hit you. Most people, when presented with a confrontational person will not hit them.

That's the thing though, because of their position they should be held to a higher standard than normal people. The power they possess is easily abused, so the standard of person that should be able to wield that powers should be under higher scrutiny in order to obtain it, and when they abuse it.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Whenever you are asked "why do you need an ar-15" now you know. I was in the Army and we had a few ex marines in our unit. All of them were sick assholes and all talk. They were no better in combatives than we were.

Gs
edit on 9-2-2013 by GermanShep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I'm not really sure what point you are making.... if the guy was in the right, he was in the right. If he was in the wrong, he was in the wrong. Being a soldier should make NO difference. Being a soldier does not make someone above the law nor below. We are all to be treated equally before the law.
Sorry, I respect many soldiers but I also feel the last couple of pointless wars that have killed many of our boys were also fed by them wanting to go have fun at war because they spent too much time with a video game, whose industry is heavily supported by the military to begin with. War is serious. I was foolish, as were a number of my friends, to regret missing Vietnam by a couple of years. How stupid we were thinking that! So I never served, as they were shrinking the military at the time I was of age, but I have been observant. War returns us our people who are often maimed, mentally and physically with not enough good support at home. I felt there was a lot of "come on, ya got nothing better to do, don't miss out on the fun and adventure!". Iraq is now an unstable country with a lot of influence from Iran. Afghanistan is a stupid mess and will always be one and will fall apart as soon as we leave. Pointless wars feeding the War Machine and making a few people very wealthy at the cost of our treasury and youth. If the cop was out of line with a person, their being a soldier should have absolutely no bearing on the matter whatsoever.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Typical attitude of a Police Officer in the 21st century. Police these days React and Ask questions later. Although most police are perfectly fine IMO, there is a growing number of Police that dont need that authority, I have read that most Police have a certain IQ to be hired as one, Not above average but Below average, that way they dont ask questions and just do there work being inforcers, not protectors

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
IMO, that former soldier needed to be put in his place. He was mouthy, trying to use his military service and dropping F-bombs to people that were there to assist him. Then later on he came across as such a drama queen wuss.

On the other hand the LEO should've defused the situation and told him to back down and have a seat on the curb and maybe explain why it took 45 minutes. Then if he didn't comply and was still argumentative, then put him down.

They were both in the wrong.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Roid-rage strikes again.

This is what a police state looks like, if anyone was wondering.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
you think a cop saying he is an ex marine would have more discipline than to strike first

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join