It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Eye of Horus in Ancient and Prehistoric China

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
If somebody comes up and asks you by whom and when the Eye of Horus was first 'imported' to China, you might be thinking Jesuits, Ming Dynasty. Then you would be quite wrong.

(This thread will deal with the Eye of Horus only. I'll probably cover other symbols - the cross, the swastika, the square and compasses - in other threads. Unlike the Eye of Horus, these symbols have been found in China since prehistoric times. I also won't cover the one-eyed creatures in prehistoric China, but I hopefully will in another thread.)

The first known appearance of the Eye of Horus would be the Nestorian Stele (c. 781 A.D.), which I'll call the Nestorian Tablet from this point because 'stele' is so hard to spell. The tablet is a giant wall of Chinese text with some Syriac. It is not punctuated, but He Xin (see www.abovetopsecret.com... if you've never heard of him) has kindly punctuated it for us. You can also find an English translation here, which, annoyingly, still uses Wade-Giles. For more information about the spread of Nestorianism in China, read the tablet.

The tablet was written by Persian monk Jingjing, who then sent the writing to Lü Xiuyan to inscribe it. (Some claim that this guy was Lü Dongbin, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me since Lü was a Daoist monk and, later, deity). The tablet was erected by another monk called Yazdhozid. It went missing until 1623, when it was unearthed. Some Western scholars claimed that it was faked by the Jesuits, but modern scholars disagree.

Without further ado, here's the eye in question:

That's not all. If you skim through the tablet, you'll find a lot of light references:

悬景日以破暗府,魔妄於是乎悉摧。
棹慈航以登明宫,含灵於是乎既济。

能事斯毕,亭午升真。
经留二十七部,张元化以发灵关。
法浴水涤,去浮华而洁虚白。
印持十字,融四照以合无拘。

...he suspended the bright sun to invade the chambers of darkness, and the falsehoods of the devil were thereupon defeated; he set in motion the vessel of mercy by which to ascend to the bright mansions, whereupon rational beings were then released, having thus completed the manifestation of his power, in clear day he ascended to his true station.

Twenty-seven sacred books [the number in the New Testament] have been left, which disseminate intelligence by unfolding the original transforming principles. By the rule for admission, it is the custom to apply the water of baptism, to wash away all superficial show and to cleanse and purify the neophytes. As a seal, they hold the cross, whose influence is reflected in every direction, uniting all without distinction.

There's yet another thing about the Chinese name for Nestorianism, which is Jingjiao. 'Jiao' means 'religion'. 'Jing' usually means 'scenery' in modern Chinese, but the root meaning of the word is actually 'illumination'.

Does this light worship - worship of illumination - ring any bells?

Now let's fast-forward a few dynasties to the last years of the Mongol Yuan Dynasty. The Mongols forced 150,000 to dig a new river channel for the Huang He (Yellow River to Westerners). It didn't help that the government official in charge held up their wages. The people were angry.

White Lotus Cultists Han Shantong and Liu Futong decided to take advantage of this. The two spread a tune, '石人一隻眼,挑動黃河天下反' (stone man has one eye, he stirs up the Huang He and the world revolts), whenever they went. It went viral. Liu buried a stone man with one eye in the Huang He, and they waited for the workers to dig up the statue.

After seeing the stone man, those gullible people believed every word of the myth, and they all followed Han Shantong and Liu Futong. (Some modern-day cultists still believe in it.) I bet they needed a stone mason to carve that one-eyed stone man for them.

There's more. Han claimed himself to be the 'King of Light' and an incarnation of the Maitreya Buddha, whom the White Lotus cultists worshipped. The 'King of Light'?

Now let's rewind again, and go back to the dawn of the Chinese civilisation. We're talking about the Chinese character component 雚. It used to be a character originally meaning 'Bird with eyes and a crown'. Now it is only used as the phonetic component of many characters. (Many Chinese characters are made up of a phonetic component and a semantic component.)

Now, as we all know, Horus has a bird's head, and this character does look quite like Horus.

sswn4452.blog.hexun.com...

Had a good look at the characters yet? There's more. The popular depiction of Horus at Roman times was a bird riding a goose or a goat. The character 雚 looks like a goat's head and a goose put together.

Another character of significance is the Chinese character 見, meaning 'see' or, in Classical Chinese only, 'appear'. I put the Oracle character and the Eye of Horus side by side. Don't they look alike?

Let me end by saying that I'm not implying that there was, in fact, Egyptian, Masonic or Illuminati activity in ancient China. I'm only trying to present some information to, hopefully, stimulate discussion on ATS.
edit on 8-2-2013 by diqiushiwojia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I absolutely love archeology...I really want them to open up the pyramids in CHINA to the public...

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Really cool. I love this kind of stuff. I will be keeping an eye on this thread for more information.

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
This thread could be a very good one. The eye of Horus symbol is the basis of all the "Illuminati eye" symbolism that people get all flustered about. It is one of the oldest and holiest of human religious and mystic symbols, and adding to its history is commendable. Now if only the dollar bill in my pocket would quit looking at me!
edit on 8-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Sounds_of_Silence

Some of them, including the most famous one (Qin Shi Huang's mausoleum), are already open to the public.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
If I understand this correctly, you're trying to attribute symbols from a culture that did not have a connection with China and a religion that died out 700 years before the stele was engraved to Chinese artifacts?

Have you studied how the symbols you're using were derived? I've done a little study on how the characters were created, and back when these symbols were developed, China was a very strong country and was not very open to outside sources for images/writing/religion. '

Now, admittedly my sources were Chinese scholars who were writing books for Americans who knew nothing about the language and the writing -- so my sources may be a bit... oversimplified.

The "eye" in question resembles Thai artwork to some extent. I can see an argument for it being Thai/Tibetan influences, but it doesn't look like any representation of the Eye of Horus used by the Egyptians.

And finally, the Eye of Horus (also called the wadjet)wasn't associated with the sun.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I suppose I wasn't very clear in my hasty OP, so let me clarify.

Originally posted by Byrd
If I understand this correctly, you're trying to attribute symbols from a culture that did not have a connection with China and a religion that died out 700 years before the stele was engraved to Chinese artifacts?

In the first two parts of my post (the tablet and the Yuan Dynatsy), I was more referring to the Masonic symbol. The last part was more referring to the Egyptian symbol.

Have you studied how the symbols you're using were derived? I've done a little study on how the characters were created, and back when these symbols were developed, China was a very strong country and was not very open to outside sources for images/writing/religion. '

Now, admittedly my sources were Chinese scholars who were writing books for Americans who knew nothing about the language and the writing -- so my sources may be a bit... oversimplified.

Don't know about the rest of the Sinosphere, but in Hong Kong, we've been learning about the formation of Chinese characters since primary school, so I think I do know something about it. If you can read Chinese, you should read the rest of the article on 雚 to which I linked. The author of that passage displayed a clear lack of common knowledge on Chinese character formation throughout the rest of the passage. I've only extracted the part that does make sense. (For example, the author claimed that 灌 referred to the Nile, 讙 to Horus' death, and so on. Yeah, right.)

The "eye" in question resembles Thai artwork to some extent. I can see an argument for it being Thai/Tibetan influences, but it doesn't look like any representation of the Eye of Horus used by the Egyptians.

Which eye? The one on the tablet or the 見 one?

And finally, the Eye of Horus (also called the wadjet)wasn't associated with the sun.

I was, again, referring to the Masonic symbol on that part of the post.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by diqiushiwojia

Aha. The Masonic Symbol is the Eye of Providence.

I was looking at the eye at the top of the stele -- looks very Tibetan to my eye. Wasn't it made after the height of Buddhism's introduction into China?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Actually it seems as if the eye was indeed associated with the Sun. The wadjet is a personification of its qualities.

From your own source;
en.wikipedia.org...

The Eye of Horus is an ancient Egyptian symbol of protection, royal power and good health. The eye is personified in the goddess Wadjet (also written as Wedjat,[1][2][3] or "Udjat",[4] Uadjet, Wedjoyet, Edjo or Uto[5]). It is also known as ''The Eye of Ra''.

. . .

Horus

Horus was the ancient Egyptian sky god who was usually depicted as a falcon, most likely a lanner or peregrine falcon.[10] His right eye was associated with the sun Ra. The eye symbol represents the marking around the eye of the falcon, including the "teardrop" marking sometimes found below the eye. The mirror image, or left eye, sometimes represented the moon and the god Djehuti (Thoth).

edit on 8-2-2013 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Aha. The Masonic Symbol is the Eye of Providence.

I was looking at the eye at the top of the stele -- looks very Tibetan to my eye. Wasn't it made after the height of Buddhism's introduction into China?

I was always under the impression that the Eye of Providence was derived from the Eye of Horus, so I lumped them together in my mind.

It was made around the time of Buddhism's introduction to China. However, it's not Buddhist at all, but Nestorian. Comes from Persia, not Tubo.

edit on 9-2-2013 by diqiushiwojia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Interesting. I believe the very earliest 'writing' from China depicts an evil eye as well. Though some see it differently:

Source

It could be the Chinese were drawing 'masonic' eye symbols from as early as 6000BC.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

The same type of symbolism is found throughout the world ... it varies by culture .

Because it stems from a global world culture that existed prior to the cataclysmic events of 12,000+ years ago .

It is everywhere you care to look and it is recorded in the so called myths .

www.maverickscience.com...

It is the tree of life, the stairway to heaven, the rope ladder ..........

It recalls a time when the heavens and the earth were connected .

We are talking wormhole here by way of tapping the plasma sheath ...

What do you think the flames are ? .. the orb ? the lifting of it towards heaven ..

The Chinese had their pyramids too .. and were no less advanced than the rest of the world .

The reason being it required a global network to remain active 24/7 due to the earths rotation .

Thanks for the picture .

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Thanks op, what I find fasinating, is the author published this information thinking "probably" that this information was just common knowledge, however the "vise" is that the wording sits at a current "masters" level of eduaction. So in a nutshell, either the human masses have been dumbed down to a 4th grade level, or our predecessors were way smarter

Owe boy, great post

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I just recently learn this... thought I'd share...

Jerusalem is a composite Kemetic and Hebrew word (Heru-SALEM) meaning Heru’s City of Peace. This dates back to the time of Amen Hotep III father of Akhenaton who ruled this area while on the throne of Egypt (Died: 1353 BC). In Latin J actually has an ‘H’ sound, in time Heru-Salem became Jerusalem. In the name Heru lies the origins of the name Jesus. Heru or the Greek Horus was converted to Huious (also Greek) which was eventually converted to Jesus (Prounounced Hey-Zus) in Latin and eventually was converted to Jesus (as in Geez-Us) in English. learn more

The “All Seeing Eye” is the symbol of Heru who we today call Jesus. Anthony Browder in his book titled, “Nile Valley Contributions to Civilization stated, ”The pyramid and the eye above it (which represents the eye of Heru-the son of God) clearly establishes an Egyptian link with the reverse of the Great Seal. The obverse of this seal is strikingly similar to the Nile Valley image of Heru, and the differences represent the cultural nuances which were unique to the United States. Above the eagle’s head are 13 stars which arranged in the form of the Magen David, which is also called the Seal of Solomon. This is an ancient symbol that predates Judaism and represents two pyramids. The two pyramids symbolize the two pillars of Solomon, which play significant role in ritualistic masonry.

(Reference: Anthony T. Browder: “Nile Valley Contribution to Civilization” pg. 203).

Heru (AKA Horus, son of Isis) "... was worshipped thousands of years before the first century CE -- the time when Jesus was ministering in Palestine. Horus was often represented as a stylized eye symbol, symbolizing the eye of a falcon. He was also presented "in the shape of a sparrow hawk or as a man [or lion] with a hawk's head." He is often shown as an infant cradled by his mother Isis."

www.assatashakur.org...

Life events shared by Horus and Jesus

Event
Conception: Horus/by virgin | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/by virgin8
Father: Horus/Only begotten son of the God Osiris. | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/Only begotten son of Yehovah (in the form of the Holy Spirit).
Mother: Horus/Meri. 9 | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/Miriam (a.k.a. Mary).
Foster father: Horus/Seb, (Jo-Seph). 9 | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/Joseph.
Foster father's ancestry: Horus/Of royal descent. | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/Of royal descent.
Birth location: Horus/In a cave. | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/In a cave or stable.
Annunciation: Horus/By an angel to Isis, his mother. | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/By an angel to Miriam, his mother. 8
Birth heralded by: Horus/The star Sirius, the morning star. | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/An unidentified "star in the East."
Birth date: Horus/Ancient Egyptians paraded a manger and child representing Horus through the streets at the time of the winter solstice (typically DEC-21). | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/Celebrated on DEC-25. The date was chosen to occur on the same date as the birth of Mithra, Dionysus and the Sol Invictus (unconquerable Sun), etc.
Birth announcement: Horus/By angels. | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/By angels. 8
Death threat during infancy: Horus/Herut tried to have Horus murdered. | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/Herod tried to have Jesus murdered.
Baptized by: Horus/Anup the Baptiser. | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/John the Baptist.
Close followers:Horus/Twelve disciples. | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/Twelve disciples.
Method of deathHorus/Twelve disciples. | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/By crucifixion.
Fate after death:Horus/resurrected after three days. | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/resurrected after about 30 to 38 hours (Friday PM to presumably some time in Sunday AM) covering parts of three days.
Common portrayal:Horus/Virgin Isis holding the infant Horus. | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/Virgin Mary holding the infant Jesus.
Description:Horus/the Lamb. | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/the lamb.
Zodiac Sign:Horus/Pisces the fish. | Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus/Pisces the fish.

edit on 9-2-2013 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Outfoxed
Interesting. I believe the very earliest 'writing' from China depicts an evil eye as well. Though some see it differently:

Source

It could be the Chinese were drawing 'masonic' eye symbols from as early as 6000BC.

I think the Jiahu symbols are very interesting, too, but I think this is different from the Horus-like eye in that it didn't have the 'legs' like the Eye of Horus and the 見 jian character do. Jiahu was Neolithic, so it was probably not Xia, Shang or Zhou but before that. Perhaps they may have been written by the legendary Cangjie himself. Here's a collection of 目 (eye) characters in the oracle script:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by R0CR13

The same type of symbolism is found throughout the world ... it varies by culture .

Because it stems from a global world culture that existed prior to the cataclysmic events of 12,000+ years ago .

It is everywhere you care to look and it is recorded in the so called myths .

www.maverickscience.com...

It is the tree of life, the stairway to heaven, the rope ladder ..........

It recalls a time when the heavens and the earth were connected .

We are talking wormhole here by way of tapping the plasma sheath ...

What do you think the flames are ? .. the orb ? the lifting of it towards heaven ..

The Chinese had their pyramids too .. and were no less advanced than the rest of the world .

The reason being it required a global network to remain active 24/7 due to the earths rotation .

Thanks for the picture .

Thanks, nice theory!
It corresponds with the actual myths, too (unlike Ancient Aliens' China parts). I'll put that article into my to-read backlog.
You should start a thread on it.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingsquirel
Thanks op, what I find fasinating, is the author published this information thinking "probably" that this information was just common knowledge, however the "vise" is that the wording sits at a current "masters" level of eduaction. So in a nutshell, either the human masses have been dumbed down to a 4th grade level, or our predecessors were way smarter

Owe boy, great post

Thanks! You're right; our ancestors were way smarter than we think, though I think the dumbing-down of humanity and the wisdom of our predecessors is not an either-or situation; our predecessors were smart, then we got dumbed down.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Thanks. So is there a specific time period when the Jian symbol 'evolves' from the 'eye' symbol (the one without the legs, that looks like a box with lines)? Or do they both exist throughout the evolution of that script?

You don't mention it in the OP, but does the Jian symbol pre-date that exquisite stele?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

I'm planning on posting a thread when I have the time to explain it all .. at least what I've deduced from a million sources .

Read the pdf but don't dismiss it as some stories told around the fire at night to entertain the clan ..

We are an ancient people ..we have been to the stars and we are going to reestablish our connection one day

Though as we pass through certain parts of the galaxy it is very dangerous due to the possibility of a cascade energy event destroying the planet ..again .

This is due to the fact that these portals as described by NASA are along electromagnetic lines .

A sudden burst of energy like that as described in the Red and Blue Star Kachina of the Hopi could pass along these lines and hit the earth with the result of setting us back another 15 thousand years ...If were lucky .

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Outfoxed

Thanks. So is there a specific time period when the Jian symbol 'evolves' from the 'eye' symbol (the one without the legs, that looks like a box with lines)? Or do they both exist throughout the evolution of that script?

You don't mention it in the OP, but does the Jian symbol pre-date that exquisite stele?

Sadly, I have no idea which one is. I've searched the Internet, and found only pictures of jian as well as some extensive syntactic research on the jian character.

The jian symbol certainly predates that stele! Jian was present in the oracle bone script, which dates back to the Bronze Age and is still in (extensive) use today, although it looks completely different (見). Check out
this site for more jian styles (warning: some of those eyes look really creepy). The steele was a Tang Dynasty thing erected in 781 A.D., and I think the eye was related to the Freemasons (or their ancient predecessors, anyway).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join