Asteroid to narrowly miss Earth next week

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Hold on to your hats: an asteroid will zoom within spitting distance of Earth next week, in what NASA said is the closest flyby ever predicted for an object this large.

The 2012 DA 14, discovered by chance by astronomers after passing nearby last February, will be just around 17,200 miles (27,700 kilometers) above Earth's surface when it speeds by, the US Space Agency said.

The asteroid is predicted to come closest to Earth on February 15, at around 1924 GMT, plus or minus a minute or two, and will pass over the Indian Ocean off Sumatra.

It will be visible, with a little help from a telescope, in eastern Europe, Australia and Asia, astronomers said.

yahoo.com.au

Grab your 'scopes people! this will be something you'll want to see, and for all you doomsday enthusiasts, I'm sorry to report that

"This asteroid's orbit is so well known that we can say with confidence that even considering it's orbital uncertainties, it can pass no closer than 17,100 miles from the Earth's surface. So no Earth impact is possible," said Donald Yeomans of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Is it gonna pass between moon's orbit and earth?

Or how close relatively??

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by tropic

Outside the Earth's atmosphere, but closer than the orbit of most weather and communications satellites.

I hope that helps.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thecakeisalie

The 2012 DA 14, discovered by chance by astronomers after passing nearby last February, will be just around 17,200 miles (27,700 kilometers) above Earth's surface when it speeds by, the US Space Agency said.

Oh... ok, so how come

"This asteroid's orbit is so well known that we can say with confidence that even considering it's orbital uncertainties, it can pass no closer than 17,100 miles from the Earth's surface. So no Earth impact is possible," said Donald Yeomans of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

I'm sure they know what the're talking about, but seemingly contradictory statements like these aren't going to convince the doomsayers. Just saying!
edit on 8/2/13 by logicalview because: brackets!
edit on 8/2/13 by logicalview because: Oh yeah and bold print mine

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by logicalview

I'm not saying that it's going to hit or not but sorry, I do not believe a word NASA or any other government agency tells us anymore.

I'm sure their inner conversations among themselves are much different than what they really expose to the public.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Even if it doesn't hit us its getting kinda freaky about how often this stuff happens.

How long is our luck going to last out? Its just a matter of time.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Even if it will not hit Earth is it possible that it will hit some satellites?

Yeomans told reporters, saying the asteroid's path puts it right in the "sweet spot" to avoid having any damaging impact.

Are we so lucky?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shuye
reply to post by logicalview

I'm sure their inner conversations among themselves are much different than what they really expose to the public.

Absolutely! Their daily work is potentially of a 'national security' nature, and i agree that they must be very carefull what information they release to the general public. If they knew for certain an asteroid was going to hit earth and completely destroy all life, would they tell us? probably not. If they knew an asteroid was going to hit earth but only cause 'localised' damage, let's say an area of a large city or small country. Would they tell us?

It's a tough one. Even a relatively 'small' asteroid impact could have global implications, whether impacting in a populated or unpopulated area of the planet.
edit on 8/2/13 by logicalview because: Hadn't finished

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
science.howstuffworks.com...

Here's a link to some simple and straight forward information to highlight just how important this general topic of conversation is. Whereas i condone unessesary fearmongering, people who may be unerved by close approach asteroids have every right to be.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I'm sure they know what the're talking about, but seemingly contradictory statements like these aren't going to convince the doomsayers. Just saying!

There is no contradiction in their statements. They are simply stating that they have made enough accurate observations of the asteroid over the past year to be able to predict the trajectory with only very small uncertainties.
edit on 8-2-2013 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mogget

There is no contradiction in their statements. They are simply stating that they have made enough accurate observations of the asteroid over the past year to be able to predict the trajectory with only very small uncertainties.

That's right, the parameters are shown at the JPL widget site for NEO's. This flypast is still at 0.09LD. There was some doubt about future flybys when it was first discovered, but now they know its orbit, a collision is not likely. The widget will indicate future flybys.

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 8-2-2013 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mogget

Beat me to it. Exactly right. Here's the difference before and after the latest astrometric data. After incorporating the latest astrometric data, we know the orbit very precisely:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thecakeisalie
Hold on to your hats: an asteroid will zoom within spitting distance of Earth next week, in what NASA said is the closest flyby ever predicted for an object this large.

...and they call 17,200 miles spitting distance of Earth. Has anyone ever spat that far before? Thought not. No wonder people don't believe NASA

Well I for one will try and spit on it as it passes by

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by yizzel
...and they call 17,200 miles spitting distance of Earth. Has anyone ever spat that far before? Thought not. No wonder people don't believe NASA

Well I for one will try and spit on it as it passes by

It is a spitting distance, in cosmic terms. We have never seen such a large object pass so close.

Most people do believe NASA. It's only a core of paranoid, deluded, uneducated and ignorant conspiracy lovers that don't believe NASA. Besides, it doesn't matter that much what NASA say; astronomers all around the world (including the amateurs) track this asteroid and make calculations about its trajectory.
edit on 10-2-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

... in cosmic terms, 'a hairs breath of a cats whisker' would of been closer to the mark lol
anyway thanx for clearing that up

Found this interesting; Earth-buzzing asteroid could be worth big bucks: $195B if we could catch it

The asteroid NASA say is about the half the size of a football field that will blow past Earth on Feb 15 could be worth up to $195 billion in metals and propellant. That's what the scientists at Deep Space Industries, a company that wants to mine these flashing hunks of space materials, thinks the asteroid known as 2012 DA14 is worth - if they could catch it.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
not sure if anyone has post the cam for nasa yet so heres the link www.ustream.tv...
i believe they are setup at gingin observatory in AU
edit on 15-2-2013 by dirtybird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
what would be awesome is if a UFO did a flyby live while we are watching..

top topics

join