It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

21 Things That Will Happen Before the Universe Ends

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
How is that interesting? Seriously, a guy sat down and wrote whatever crap came to his mind and yet you find that interesting? Just wow!!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

if there are other intelligent life forms out there in our galaxy, and it only takes this amount of time to colonize the entire galaxy...then where are they? The galaxy is billions of years old so they should be everywhere by now. But we don't see them.

We might just possibly be the first to do it.

Maybe the first to do it in this particular galaxy.

Not sure I understand your critique though. I was under the assumption (a layman) we can't observe the majority of the planets in our galaxy. I mean sufficiently enough to determine if life was living there. I thought we couldn't even determine atmospheric conditions for most.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

How is that interesting? Seriously, a guy sat down and wrote whatever crap came to his mind and yet you find that interesting? Just wow!!

Ooops. Did you forget to read the article you are slamming? One guy? Here is a list of people quoted or referenced:

Stephen Nelson
Michio Kaku
Ian Crawford
Jack O’Malley-James
Donald E. Brownlee
Jeffrey Kargell
Abraham Loeb
K.R. Rybicki
Fred C. Adams
Sam Kean

Not too mention all the unnamed scientists.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Not sure I understand your critique though. I was under the assumption (a layman) we can't observe the majority of the planets in our galaxy. I mean sufficiently enough to determine if life was living there. I thought we couldn't even determine atmospheric conditions for most.
We probably can't see them and they probably can't see us either, at least not optically, however they can detect us on a different part of the electromagnetic spectrum as quite a few nearby star systems have already received our "I Love Lucy" television episodes and more are receiving them all the time.

Aliens Love Lucy, Request More Episodes

May 13, 2028 — The SETI Institute reported yesterday that after 44 years of seeking first contact, it has finally received a message from an alien race. The organization, which seeks to find life elsewhere in the universe, said it received a transmission April 15 from a species requesting additional episodes of I Love Lucy.

“This is a day we’ve been dreaming of for years,” said SETI spokeswoman Stella Beam. “And it appears these aliens share our sense of humor – or at least the sense of humor we had 60 years ago.”
They could be a couple years off on the date though.

edit on 8-2-2013 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This is the reason I want to live forever, even if im only a brain in a mason jar lol.
Nice thread, wish I could S&F it.

"in anywhere from 5 million to 50 million years from now, even traveling at sublight speeds, humanity could colonize the entire galaxy."

If life developed millions of years before what has developed here on earth, they may be near their prime to begin to colonize the galaxy.

I would say anywhere from 1 to 20 million years ftom now, we'll know our neighbors, lets hope they enjoy pie rather than human.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
A fun read, but I don't buy the idea that the universe will end. 100 trillion years seems like such an arbitrary number and we know so little about the universe.

I won't go into detail about why I think the universe is infinite because I've already done that elsewhere on this site, but I will offer an interesting dream I had once: I saw objects becoming larger and more alive. Planets eating planets, becoming larger than galaxies and then some, all the while their "bodies" became less spherical and more creature-like. They just kept eating each other as if there was no end to it. It was kinda funny actually. The overall matter in the universe kept getting condensed into these ever larger lifeforms.

The scientists of today aren't considering the evolution of life in their equations and how it pertains to the larger structure of the universe. They probably assume that life will remain small instead of becoming cosmic. I can't even describe the size of the lifeforms in my aforementioned dream. It was mind-boggling. I'm glad I read this thread because it reminded me of that dream.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Reply to post by circlemaker

Your not alone in believing the universe is infinite, Its something that may never be proven, but I believe it.

I believe the universe will recycle itself. Like you said "I don't buy the idea that the universe will end." I don't believe there was ever a start either, the universe just has been.

I don't know what to think about your dream other than its interesting, maybe its possible.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

This reminds me of a Futurama episode. They time travel to the future but go to far
on accident. They decide to keep going and eventually gets to the point where the last molecule decays.
All of a sudden another "Big Band" occurs, producing an exact copy of the previous universe.
That was the only cartoon to ever make me go into my "thinking trance"

It saddens me to know I'll be LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG gone by then.

But hell... I'm honored to have been invited to this big cosmic party

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

I believe the universe will recycle itself. Like you said "I don't buy the idea that the universe will end." I don't believe there was ever a start either, the universe just has been.

I too believe this.

An eternal physical universe. No beginning and no end. Infinite cycles of Big Bangs and Big Crunches.

If not Big Crunch some other mechanism to perpetuate.

I like the Big Crunch idea though. If not just because it looks nice hahaha. It's like a Creator breathing. Inhale, Exhale.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
what a load of boring nonsense! the vast majority of what you write (or repeat) is pure guesswork on the part of those who should know better.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

While I'm glad we cannot colonise other planets, I am very excited that we may be living in a time where we may be capable of mining meteors, so be optimistic...you will probably get to see the very beginning of our true space adventures.

edit: I mean asteroids. Way too many cognacs for me.
edit on 9-2-2013 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I bet a lot those scientists vehemently disagree with each other on their particular points.

I have a problem with the "Mars becomes suitable for life". To do that it would need an atmosphere and from what I understand Mars is too small to have an electromagnetic field which protects the atmosphere on Earth (for instance) from being "blown away".

Makes me think these guys aren't all up to their scientific snuff.

The Milky Way has absorbed a number of Galaxies in the past, wonder how old it is?

The theory put forth is that the Universe will exhaust all the gas and so it will stop making new stars and die...

Did they include what happens to Giga sized black holes when they collide? I mean since they look a hundred trillion years into the future... its bound to happen a few times by then.

Edit to add: Everything is recycled anew over and over. Stars explode and disgorge new elements and those gas clouds condense into new stars and solar systems, and galaxies... over and over.
edit on 9-2-2013 by intrptr because: additional...

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
BRING IT ON!!!

Hate the thought though of not living long enough to see any of these events.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
How do we know that the universe will end when we don't even know how it began?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
And to think we can pollute ,consume and generally lay waste to this rock after a hundred odd years
Bow down to us ,heathens of the past and future hippies. Bow down Mothertruckers
edit on 9-2-2013 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by CeeRZ

Anywhere from 1 trillion to 100 trillion years from now, the formation of new stars ends as galaxies deplete the gas clouds that are necessary to form new stars, according to Fred C. Adams, professor of physics at the University of Michigan. This marks what astrophysicists call the Degenerate Era. With no remaining free hydrogen to form new stars, all remaining stars will slowly exhaust their fuel and die.

...and then the Universe implodes in on itself and starts all over

Except that the universe doesn't run on hydrogen as a fuel, but as an electrolyte. All matter is electrical in nature. We've just convinced ourselves that potential has solidity.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I read this today at work and had an amazing eye opening day.

I read between the lines the whole time. My favourite part is when humans living on both earth and mars are living in extreme conditions which are too hard to decide between

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
This has always been something incredibly fascinating to ponder. How insignificant, miniscule, and lost within the vastness of time and space we are. But as I grow older, the wonder of that gives way to a profound sadness and depression.

The thought that our existence may, for all we know, be utterly without meaning or consequence in the grand scheme of things. That any beliefs we harbor to the contrary may simply be our way of desperately trying to cope with existential terror and anxiety, whether we admit this possibility to ourselves or not. That in the end, all that will be left is a great, dark, cold expanse of silence. That we really may simply be inconsequential side effects of two membranes colliding (membrane theory) and producing a universe which will in time exhaust the energy of that collision and flatten back out into relative nothingness as we might term it. (It might be comforting to imagine that it will recollapse and start all over again, but the most current understanding, unless I'm mistaken, is that expansion of space will eventually exceed the speed of light and that the universe will continue to expand forever, for all intents and purposes. )

That we might very well live out our existence as a species without ever coming into contact with other intelligent beings, because the distances and limitations of the laws of physics are just so insurmountable that that's the nature of our universe. That one day we will be gone, forgotten, possibly never encountered or recorded by any other intelligent species, and even if we were, that they too will cease to exist and die out, forgotten and unnoticed by what may simply be an indifferent, unconscious universe with no inherent meaning or nature other beyond the fact that it simply is.

Unfathomable and unknowable to us because it defies our need to have meaning and perpetuation into the future. A future which will end whether we like it or not, and no matter how much it pains us. The universe may simply not care, and may not be anything capable of caring. It may simply exist. We may say, "but how can that be? Why does it exist in the first place?" What if the answer is simply, "It just does?" What if that's it? We may not like that, but the universe may not give a damn what we like and don't like or need or are hurt by. I mean, clearly it doesn't, as tragedies and destruction befall us for natural reasons all the time. I remember when the tsunami hit Japan, seeing it happen live, and thinking to myself, "Just moments ago those people were going about their lives and looking forward to everything they'd do today. Now... they're gone." What if that's just it? What if this is all there is? We all believe different things but the ultimate fact of the matter is that we have no objective way of knowing with certainty whatsoever if there's anything beyond this existence or that our lives even matter one iota beyond our need for them to.

People can say, "Oh, but I DO know. I've had X experience or Y experience to prove it." But any experience we can possibly have is processed by the mind and our perceptions. So no, with all respect to everyone's right to believe what they wish, you don't know. You choose to believe. Which is your prerogative, but if I had a "near death experience," no matter how profound, part of me would always doubt it because I would continually hear a nagging voice in the back of my head saying, "Your brain can produce some amazing realities under the right circumstances."

So... yeah. Great topic. But now I'm filled with existential terror and profound all consuming depression.

This is why I don't attack people for their religious and spiritual beliefs. Because at least they have some modicum of peace and fulfillment. Whether they're right or not, I don't know. But I'd rather have faith in something than face that reality. If only I could. But I can't un-consider the possibilities I've already considered, and can't force myself to have faith in something I profoundly doubt. I wish I could. I wish I could go back to when I was younger and believed in so many different things, and was at peace with myself and the world. But I can't.

Man. Sorry to be a downer. This topic just led inexorably to a very unpleasant thought process and state of mind.
Apologies.

Peace.
edit on 2/9/2013 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Wow... It's understandable. It really is hard to think how insignificant we are in the major scheme of things. But thats why we always have to remember to bring it back to the here and now, and what we can do in our immediate future (immediate on the scale of the Earth I mean... which means a couple of generations at least IMO). Our lives aren't insignificant when you realize that everything we do is another step in the staircase. We may be just one step, but it's still important.

As others have said, I also disagree that the universe just stops. We know way too little to be able to say that. I'd bet that the universe has started over and over again. And the fact we don't really understand time as well as we think we do - who knows, the next universe being born may be happening right now. Parallel universes, etc. Nothing ends. Everything is made of something, and everything goes on.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Text Not only do scientists have the ability to predict the extreme future of the universe, they have actually sat down and done it, charting the universe’s course for the next 3x1043 years.
reply to post by CeeRZ

It sounds like you believe all of this. And then people criticize a bible thumper. I find it much easier to believe in a God than a bunch of nimrods being paid to put this bunch of hooey into the minds of the no minds. Not a bit of this will ever be proven or even regarded as common sense. If you want facts then read the book "Harbinger" by Jonathan Cahn. That will blow your mind and give you something to really look at. Hope some one makes a thread on Harbinger.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join