It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Horse lasagne' sparks new UK food scare.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by samuel1990

I just have to laugh at this.

And to think, that so many Brits here are quick to add their opinions to issues in the US, when you were/are probably eating horse.

You guys got more problems then us here in the States.

Say hi to Mr. Ed for me.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Wait wait wait...

People in these places actually raise enough horses to be made into food products?

There's a reason why we raise cattle/cows for meat -- their much more economical. Horses are far to valuable as work animals to be just eaten as normal everyday food.

Now, I could see the occasional old horse being killed and accidentally finding its way into a stray meat grinder...but 60-100%

I just...just don't understand?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by colin42
I see nothing wrong with eating horse meat if that is what it is sold as. The fact is uncontrolled horse meat is being sold as beef.

Exactly, plenty of people the world over eat horse, no big deal... BUT this was labelled beef so it is legally and morally wrong to sell it as beef when it is horse.

This is not the fault of the consumer. It is a breach of faith from the producer. It is a fraud that is no less serious than printing counterfeit money and causes the same if not more harm

Indeed and nowhere have I said anything to the contrary.

This is a site that is meant to be to pursue the truth. Expose lies and the misconduct and secrets of big business and corrupt government yet what I am seeing when frauds like this are exposed is acceptance and misplaced blame

Not from me you haven't, so not sure who you're talking about.
As I said, there are two issues, If you'd bothered reading my post, you would know I said it is wholly illegal and immoral to have done this and in no way are people to blame for eating something that they were lied to about... it is disgusting and something needs to be done.

BUT

There is a broader picture here, one of people's eating habits.. of complacency and convenience.

You are what you eat.

So don't eat rubbish

This is why they don’t worry about being caught out. Why they still pollute our food with trans fats. These are true, real world conspiracies being exposed and people are shrugging their shoulders.

Who is shrugging their shoulders though?

You will never stop "them" polluting our food and treating people like crap and poisoning people.

This is why my posts in this thread have been about eating healthy, eating fresh, preparing your own food and avoiding cheap, frozen, processed crap meals.
These are active steps which people can take so that they are not eating s***...

What have you offered?

"They're trying to get us, it's a conspiracy I tells ya"

What's that going to do?
edit on 8/2/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom

Wait wait wait...

People in these places actually raise enough horses to be made into food products?

There's a reason why we raise cattle/cows for meat -- their much more economical. Horses are far to valuable as work animals to be just eaten as normal everyday food.

Now, I could see the occasional old horse being killed and accidentally finding its way into a stray meat grinder...but 60-100%

I just...just don't understand?

In France and other countries, you get horse on the supermarket shelf alongside the more traditional meats... and you get rabbit and plenty of other meats too.

We're much more conservative about our meat in the UK, traditional really.

Beef
Pork
Lamb
Chicken

They're the main one's, but of course, there are others... Duck, Geese, Deer et al.

In Europe, not everywhere but many places, Horse is just another meat, no big deal.... I guess they are farmed like we farm cattle... although I'm not exactly knowledgeable on Horse farming in Europe, so perhaps google and look it up... I'm sure it will be fascinating.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

I just have to laugh at this.

And to think, that so many Brits here are quick to add their opinions to issues in the US, when you were/are probably eating horse.

You guys got more problems then us here in the States.

Say hi to Mr. Ed for me.

Yes because eating an animal that is perfectly safe to eat is just like people going on killing sprees every single day and idiots bitching about having their guns taken away,

Just the same...

Have you ever seen how your meat in the USA is produced? Horse meat would be the last of my worries if I lived in the USA.... you have more chemicals in your meat than a pharmacy has on its shelves.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
yip as they say mushrooms KEEP THEM IN THE DARK AND FEED THEM ON SXXT there,s a lot to be said for being a veggie

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
when the ussr fell in the late 80s humans made up a lot of meat in the supermarkets and most of the zoo animals as well i have heard .

some cannibals have stated that human meat was the tastiest that they had ever tasted ? what do you think dexter was putting in the frying pan no point in wasting that 68 lbs of eddible meat on a human ???

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by billdadobbie

when the ussr fell in the late 80s humans made up a lot of meat in the supermarkets and most of the zoo animals as well i have heard .

evidence for this claim ?????????????

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Let's ignore 3 of the top 5 selling books are cookery books then

Lets ignore I have wrote I agree 100% that people need to take responsibility for what they eat

As I said, there are two issues,
Nope there is one issue. Fraudulently selling horse as beef. Cheap uncontrolled horse meat at beef prices.

If you'd bothered reading my post, you would know I said it is wholly illegal and immoral to have done this and in no way are people to blame for eating something that they were lied to about... it is disgusting and something needs to be done.
And my reply was I 100% agree with you

BUT

There is a broader picture here, one of people's eating habits.. of complacency and convenience.

You are what you eat.

So don't eat rubbish
Nope there is one picture here. The breach of trust between provider and consumer. It does not matter if people actually prefer horse lasagne it is being fraudulently peddled as beef. There is no mitigation to argue.

Who is shrugging their shoulders though?

You will never stop "them" polluting our food and treating people like crap and poisoning people.
You, You just have. If your reply is not shrugging your shoulders and saying 'what you gonna do' I don’t know what is.

You put these fraudsters in jail. You give them a long time in jail and confiscate their money. You make it clear this is what all and any fraudster will get when caught.

This is why my posts in this thread have been about eating healthy, eating fresh, preparing your own food and avoiding cheap, frozen, processed crap meals.
Again I agree but what has that to do with fraudulently passing cheap, uncontrolled horse meat off as beef at beef prices?

These are active steps which people can take so that they are not eating s***...

What have you offered?
See above. A reaction to the crime that these food producers have committed.

"They're trying to get us, it's a conspiracy I tells ya"

What's that going to do?
And you accuse me of not reading your post. Sheesh!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

i heard it on the grape vine man or the peace of furniture in the corner

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by colin42

I'm not ignoring the cookbook thing, it's just irrelevant....cookbooks sell well? Does that mean that we don't have an obesity and diet issue in the country?
People like to watch programmes about being healthy and read about it, it's much harder to actually do it.

So, what? Arrest the people who perpetrated the crime? Wow.... thanks Sherlock, glad you turned up otherwise nobody would have thought of that.

Seriously... what are you even talking about?

We're agreeing that people should not have been sold horse meat..... so what else is there?

I am saying that people should be careful and not buy cheap, frozen, processed ready meals.... which is good advice, and you somehow have an issue with this.

And then you tall everyone to stop shrugging their shoulders and do something.....I am not the police, I cannot arrest these people... what do you want people to do?
I'm not understanding what your point is or what your beef is, if you'll excuse the pun.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
reply to post by Ramcheck

Most vegetarians consider eating any animal as cannibalism. That's why we have to love the cannibals. They run our world, and we've seen what they've done to it (and no, Hitler was not a vegetarian, if someone thought of that one. I don't know of any world leaders who are, although the U.S.'s former president, Bill Clinton, went vegan not too long ago and says he's never felt better)

Eating beef, chicken, and fish is not cannibalism. Cannibalism has a very distinct definition, that is humans eating humans. Pork is considered to be the closest to humans in terms of eating animals, and if one wants to get into some serious stuff, it has been said that pigs were genetically engineered using humans in the days of Atlantis and persist to today. The Mad Scientists of Atlantis are back again doing their thing with cloning and other bizarre experiments.

In any case, you can condemn people who eat meat as long as you want with moral superior attitude, but this thread was about deliberately mislabeling a product. They do this with fish as well. I myself would not consider eathing a horse unless it was necessary for survival... and even then....not so sure... but that's just me.

I wonder if you would eat textured vegetable protein, not realizing it's just another name for Monosodium glutamate. Or Nutra-sweet not knowing it's aspartame.
edit on 8-2-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-2-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

So, what? Arrest the people who perpetrated the crime? Wow.... thanks Sherlock, glad you turned up otherwise nobody would have thought of that.

Seriously... what are you even talking about?
The topic. Horse meat sparks new UK food scare.

We're agreeing that people should not have been sold horse meat..... so what else is there?
What about how this practice impacts on the beef industry? How this will put more pressure on already struggling farmers that cannot put up their prices because the very same supermarket chains are cutting the farmers profit to increase theirs

I am saying that people should be careful and not buy cheap, frozen, processed ready meals.... which is good advice, and you somehow have an issue with this.
Yep I have an issue with it on a thread about food producer’s fraud.

And then you tall everyone to stop shrugging their shoulders and do something.....I am not the police, I can not arrest these people... what do you want people to do?
Stop hiding the crime behind healthy eating tips we are all fully aware of. Shown by 3 of the top 5 selling books are cookery books.

I'm not understanding what your point is or what your beef is, if you'll excuse the pun.
Clearly.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Or melamine in the milk, ohhhhhh wait that was China's product..... darn and you said USA meat was bad.

we'll keep our guns thank you very much

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
humans taste like pork there said it
trust me you do not want to get stranded with me if i get humgry numb numb behhhhhhhhh

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I'm not ignoring the cookbook thing, it's just irrelevant....cookbooks sell well? Does that mean that we don't have an obesity and diet issue in the country?
In reply to your edit

How is the fact that the No 1 selling book is a cookery book and 3 of the top 5 irrelevant? It shows you are wrong when you imply the majority don’t care about healthy eating.

As for obesity have you read up on the harm Trans fats do including obesity and diabetes . Harm that other EU countries have banned its use because of. Yet we still allow its use and allow it to be hidden in the labelling. Why? Because it is cheap and offers bigger profits not because we all love it.

Diet issues. How can you now trust what you are told and make an informed choice if what you are being sold is not what is on the label.

As for grow your own. Most people can do little more than supplement their supply and again many people do.

The food industry in this country is corrupt and this is yet another example and that is what should be being addressed.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Or melamine in the milk, ohhhhhh wait that was China's product..... darn and you said USA meat was bad.

we'll keep our guns thank you very much
Well at least you can shoot your own horses when and if you choose to eat them. Trouble with that is all we hear is you usually miss and hit a by stander.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
At the end of the day, at least these incidents are prompting discussion on whether it should be widely available in the UK after all. As we have seen in this thread and the previous one, and the pattern emerging on social media is that the majority would actually quite like to see Horse meat available on the menu, or to have a choice whether or not they feed their families with it.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

BRITISH authorities have warned the public not to eat beef lasagne sold by the Findus brand and made in France after tests found it contained up to 100 per cent horse meat.

Lasgne containing 100% horse meat? By God, the "Findus" employee who developed a method of turning any type of meat into lasagne pasta noodles, tomatoe sauce, and cheese seriously needs a raise. That is amazing! I've spent my whole life walking around stores seeing crap like "Tofukey", "meatless burger patties", and "vegetarian hot dogs" and have many times thought "Those damn vegetarians have all the luck! As a rabid meat eater, I'd love to enjoy a salad or some pasta and cheese... IF ONLY IT WAS MADE FROM MEAT!" I could care less about what type of meat is in it (and that's a very serious part of this post... if prepared properly meat is delicious, be it horse, cat, dog, whatever...), just bring these meatatarian side dishes and salads to market ASAP!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by colin42

Not being funny, but you're being a moron.
You're just going round in circles...

So people like to buy cookbooks as presents for people?

I fond it ironic that you somehow think that because cookbooks sell well, that this somehow changes the fact that we have the biggest obesity problem in Europe and the fastest climbing obesity rates in the world.

But yes, every good home has a cookbook so these problems aren't really real.

There is a huge difference in what people say and think.... and what they actually do.

I'm done.

You just want to repeat the same crap over and over and offer no solutions at all.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join