It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Horse lasagne' sparks new UK food scare.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Is that horse Lasagna very good? If it's good than what's the difference. I loved the burgers they used to sell at a fast food restaurant many years ago, I think it was Mars or something like that, and I never got sick off of them.

Come to think of it I did horse around alot around that time

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

I teared up a little too reading it. A good piece of writing. It seems Helen and I, after our "troubles", have much more in common than I would have guessed.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Rickymouse, since you are on here and I've wondered over and over again, looking at it and guessing, please, just what is your avatar? Are those gloves? This is off-topic, but I can't help myself. Signed, Puzzled in Pretoria (not really, but maybe

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I'm wondering if horse meat is cheaper to buy in bulk for these companies than beef, so they mix it up a bit to save money and increase profit.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

It's off topic but I am going to try to load a picture of this rock as I found it with the clay stranded plug in the hole.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

A mod can remove it

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

This is true. Although i personally don't have any children to feed. Myself and my partner can make a pack of mince stretch to make a couple of decent sized fresh burgers, plus a chilli or shepherds pie or spag bol etc, which will make two meals, one to eat at the time and one to freeze for the next week.

A decent sized chicken for the two of us can make a few meals, one meal is a roast, the other is either cold slice for sandwiches or a pie or a quick curry. The carcass can be boiled to make soup and stock.

You also don't have to eat meat dishes every single day.

We have lost our way with food in the western world, we don't make food like our grandparents did anymore, we don't make it last like they used to. It's all about convenience these days, quick and easy.

There are countless quick recipe and cooking on a budget books and online sites available. But making food from fresh seems to have become a chore that gets in the way of everything else.

edit on 8-2-2013 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I'm getting fed up with big firms compromising our products.

Only today i was reading another big Uk brand has been at it.

Apparently Primark have been putting camel toes in their leggings.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
One issue here is about the lies we are being told and some here are saying its ok.

Would you feel the same if you were told your really cheap chicken nuggets are really free range rats harvested from a local dump? Rat and chicken meat is meant to be very similar and putting rat on the menu would help solve the rat problem in our cities. Is it ok to sell rats as chicken?

The food agencies that are meant to ensure you are getting what is advertised appear to be nothing more than a way to stop people asking questions about the food they push down their necks

An MP said a while back poor people are fat. Well no wonder because they buy what they consider is cheap and god only knows what contaminated, diseased filth they are eating and feeding their kids. Well at least its a varied diet what, what.

edit on 8-2-2013 by colin42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Exactly, as I was saying... it's about convenience and people also think it cheaper to buy these packs of froze ready meals, yet for the same money, you can be creative and eat fresh every single day.
Also Rice...you can get 1kg of rice for little over a pound and do a stir fry with chicken and veg... you can buy a a couple of packs of chicken breasts for about £6 or so in Tesco. Veg are relatively cheap too. So for £7-8 you have several meals for the week.

It really is simple and cheap to eat well and eat fresh.... but people would rather bung something in the oven for 20 mins and flop in front of the TV and just wait..... or ping in the microwave for 4 mins and then eat.

It is very sad that we're almost losing the ability to prepare and cook food, people just can't be arsed to spend 5 mins preparing something.... not enough time apparently, that's BS. we have just got into such a bad way, people are in a food rut... plenty of campaigns on TV and plenty of chefs have tried to shake people up and make them realise that eating good, fresh food is important, but most people ignore it.
They like all these cooking shows and masterchef and all the rest, but they continue to pierce the film lid and essentially poison themselves with this crap.
edit on 8/2/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The food industry is up their with the other bad boys like big oil and big pharma. profits come before health every time.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Even though I agree people need to cook their own food I see no reason why you would point the finger of blame at the consumer.

Supermarkets encourage people to buy pre prepared food. Even call them healthy options. The consumer is not the one to blame here.

This is a breach of trust between the suppliers and the consumers. They are calling uncontrolled horse meat, beef that we take for granted is strictly controlled.

The beef farmers are under pressure and this amounts to counterfeit meat will hurt them even more

We are told that the EU food restrictions are too high yet what we see is they are pretty much non existent. So again your politicians are lying to you

The consumer is not to blame. The food industry is. Unless of course we accept it as it appears we are. Then we deserve all we get.

edit on 8-2-2013 by colin42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by samuel1990

Would you knowingly eat Horse meat?

yes , of course i would - in fact been there , done that

i admit i had the benefit of waling into a butchers in france - that ONLY sold horse meat - and knew what cuts i was getting etc

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Spookycolt

There is nothing wrong with horse meat in itself, but the problem here is that it is advertised and sold as something else. Not only that, but this meat could be potentially bad for your health as well since they believe it might contain some kind of horse medicine that can be dangerous for humans to ingest.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by Spookycolt

Because its advertised as beef. Why are some struggling to grasp this concept? Horse could be the tastiest healthiest meet ever, but when your being told your getting beef, you expect beef not horse. If dog and cat were tasty and healthy, would you not mind them being used instead f beef without your knowledge?

And that is shows that whatever regulations are supposed to be in place to ensure a decent product, they're not working at all.

If they can put 99% horse meat in a product advertised as beef and get away with it, because nobody is paying attention, just what else are they getting away with?

How you can you be sure food is safe and clean when you can't even be sure if the beef burgers you're buying are made from horse?!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by b14warrior
Saw the government said anybody in possession of this product should dispose of it immediately!
What a waste. Nothing wrong with it! It's just labeled wrongly!

Why does everyone here not realize that this might be contaminated?? This has been all over news here in Norway as we have these findus products as well. It could be potentially FATAL for a human to ingest this meat if it is contaminated.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Meh. Horse and roo are both ok. Eat up!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

Originally posted by b14warrior
Saw the government said anybody in possession of this product should dispose of it immediately!
What a waste. Nothing wrong with it! It's just labeled wrongly!

Why does everyone here not realize that this might be contaminated?? This has been all over news here in Norway as we have these findus products as well. It could be potentially FATAL for a human to ingest this meat if it is contaminated.

Pfft. Horse is a-ok.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

What makes cat/dogs that different from lets say a pig???
The only difference is that humans in the west likes to keep them as pet. The pig is actually very intelligent and probably more so than dogs, but yet it is according to you more human to let pigs suffer?? Why?? Is it because they like to roll around in the mud or is it because it is not as cute as a dog or cat??

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I think the point here is that if they dont know what meat is in their product, how do they know if it fit for human consumption?

Was the horse given any chemicals before or after death that we are BANNED from consuming?

How does the manufacturer of the 'beef' product know if the horse was dead or alive before they put it in their product?

If the horse was already dead before it was sold how long was the horse dead for AND what, if any illnesses did it have?

Truth is they would not be able to give any answer to any question as they didnt even know it was horse meat (or so they say)

This i feel, is just the start. Who knows what other animals might turn up in the food chain. I myself only eat bacon and chicken. BUT, i do have a burger once in a blue moon from macca d's.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

Originally posted by Flavian

Originally posted by tazdeill2

Originally posted by Flavian

How can you compare eating horses to eating humans?

That honestly makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. At the end of the day, i am human. I like animals (particularly when roasted and with a decent sauce) but humans come first.

If we can't trust the labels on foods, how do we know we aren't eating humans? And if they died of natural causes, would it be o.k.?

I agree with you here - it is the part i have difficulty with. If it says beef then it should be beef, end of story. If it says horse then fair enough though, and i think this is where i differ from some of the posters (particularly Helen it would appear). I really do not see the problem with eating meat of any description - as long as you know what it is that you are actually getting.

so just eat your dogs then - only someone with no conscience can think it is OK to eat anything - dogs cat humans horse. You are in good company on this thread.

Animals are just food walking, Disgusting,

They haev as much right to life as humans - but most humans wantto destroy life, in one way or another.

Even if they do sound all logical and reasonable.

Eat dog or elephant- why not I mean our pies are more important then their lives after all.

I feel sick.

But we need food to survive which includes meat. But I guess you rather see the world starve to death eh?
Or are you one of those delusional vegans who think that vegan diet will be enough to feed billions of humans?

It is you who discriminate animals since you act like eating horse or cat and dogs is so much worse even though other farm animals suffer just as much if not more.
edit on 8-2-2013 by juleol because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join