It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Horse lasagne' sparks new UK food scare.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by samuel1990

As I wrote on another thread, "A corpse is a corpse, of course of course" etc. Eating any corpse is very weird, and I learned on this thread that kangaroos are being farmed and eaten? A sick civilization (literally), composed of the only animal that destroys forests to obtain more soil to grow food for their "livestock (soon to be deadstock)". Finding horsemeat in your lasagne is bad enough, but when a scared, poor, and nutritionally-uneducated population begins going for the rat meat, time to turn vegan.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

Originally posted by Flavian

Originally posted by tazdeill2

reply to post by HelenConway

How can you compare eating horses to eating humans?

That honestly makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. At the end of the day, i am human. I like animals (particularly when roasted and with a decent sauce) but humans come first.

If we can't trust the labels on foods, how do we know we aren't eating humans? And if they died of natural causes, would it be o.k.?

I agree with you here - it is the part i have difficulty with. If it says beef then it should be beef, end of story. If it says horse then fair enough though, and i think this is where i differ from some of the posters (particularly Helen it would appear). I really do not see the problem with eating meat of any description - as long as you know what it is that you are actually getting.

so just eat your dogs then - only someone with no conscience can think it is OK to eat anything - dogs cat humans horse. You are in good company on this thread.

Animals are just food walking, Disgusting,

They haev as much right to life as humans - but most humans wantto destroy life, in one way or another.

Even if they do sound all logical and reasonable.

Eat dog or elephant- why not I mean our pies are more important then their lives after all.

I feel sick.

Ah! I just read the rest of the thread after posting, and find Helen on the side of the angels, and on this we are allies, brothers and sisters in arms (although I think that eating humans and any other animal is the same, and just as bad as eating a chicken for that matter).

All you horse eaters, saddle up and ride outta here!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

As I wrote on another thread, "A corpse is a corpse, of course of course" etc. Eating any corpse is very weird, and I learned on this thread that kangaroos are being farmed and eaten? A sick civilization (literally), composed of the only animal that destroys forests to obtain more soil to grow food for their "livestock (soon to be deadstock)". Finding horsemeat in your lasagne is bad enough, but when a scared, poor, and nutritionally-uneducated population begins going for the rat meat, time to turn vegan.

I totally agree

It will be great apes next - gorilla and orangutang - they are already being hunted and driven to extinction.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

Originally posted by Aleister

I totally agree

It will be great apes next - gorilla and orangutang - they are already being hunted and driven to extinction.

I suspect that would actually be Cannibalism as we're 99% the same DNA, but that's another thread for another day.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Ramcheck

I know but it is happening. It goes along the same thought lines as ' meat is meat'
God bless horses, that is what I say. They have been so betrayed and abused by their guardians. I cry for them.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Ramcheck

Most vegetarians consider eating any animal as cannibalism. That's why we have to love the cannibals. They run our world, and we've seen what they've done to it (and no, Hitler was not a vegetarian, if someone thought of that one. I don't know of any world leaders who are, although the U.S.'s former president, Bill Clinton, went vegan not too long ago and says he's never felt better)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I am with you there. Though I am not a vegan, I do eat some fish and some diary products.

But horses, you know they worked for us in the fields, they went to war with us, they are the most beautiful and noble creatures.

Neraly as many horses died in WW1 as people. [ from the UK]

How are they rewarded - they are made into burgers and few care. So sad.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

They are not being bred for it though, are they? It is dead horses being provided to meat suppliers that then work their way into the food chain. It still isn't right as it is still fraud but it does put a different perspective on it. Surely using the animals after they have died is actually more respectful than just leaving them to rot in the ground or burning them?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

But are the horses pumped full of antibiotics and hormones? Might be better for you honestly.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
The moral of the story is don't eat **** frozen crap burgers and tasteless frozen garbage like this.
It's obviously not right to mislabel and lie about what is in the product... but seriously, be honest with yourselves about this.

If you're getting 10-12 frozen burgers for £1.... or buying these dirt cheap frozen lasagne's and so on, what do you think is going to be in there? What kind of quality do you honestly think you're getting?
I'm in no way justifying the fact that these companies have sold this meat nor am I saying that people should have been duped into eating it. It is immoral and illegal.

I remember seeing sausages in Tesco that were called "pork sausages" and reading the back they had something like 13% pork in them.... it's just disgusting what these cheap, frozen crap are made from.

I know this about convenience and money...but as almost every cook book and TV chef has said over the last god knows how many years, you can buy and eat fresh for the same money and make decent meals in 10-15 mins... sometimes less.

People need to seriously think about and reconsider what they're buying and what they're eating.
edit on 8/2/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Here here.

There is a reason that some things often look to good to be true.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Dead horse being supplied to go into the food chain, not that's a picture of diseased meat being thrown to the consumer. Most "livestock" are so pumped up on antibiotics because they get sick in the spaces alloted them to grow, which is filled with feces, other animal's easily spread illnesses, and the hormonal surges which occur from living the wretched lives they are forced to endure (and they don't even get a one-hour a day exercise break as most hard-core human prisoners do). So these sick animals, in this case old and dying horses, are put onto plates for people to actually put into their mouths! As the much lately-discussed King Richard III might have said if he were a writer as good as Shakespeare, "A horse, a horse, some ketcup for my horse"

edit on 8-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

They are not being bred for it though, are they? It is dead horses being provided to meat suppliers that then work their way into the food chain. It still isn't right as it is still fraud but it does put a different perspective on it. Surely using the animals after they have died is actually more respectful than just leaving them to rot in the ground or burning them?

they are being slaughtered for their flesh - sold at auction by owners who could not give a stuff, ex racehorses who are probably still mere babies [ maybe 4], dartmoor ponies, new forest ponies, etc etc
edit on 8-2-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy

Originally posted by merkins

Originally posted by b14warrior
Saw the government said anybody in possession of this product should dispose of it immediately!
What a waste. Nothing wrong with it! It's just labeled wrongly!

The reason the govt is saying that because of the powerful drugs found in the meat that are known to cause issues in humans regarding white blood cells.

It does make me chuckle a bit, because people probably have slabs of beef and other meats in their fridges that have been pumped full of all kinds of drugs during the farming process.

edit on 8-2-2013 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

Can't argue with you there.

In your next post you mention about using fresh meat again. Well that's okay for those who can afford it. I certainly can't. As usual the poor and poverty stricken are the worst affected. And those working two or three jobs to put food on the table for their kids often simply have nothing left in the tank to cook from raw ingredients. Theyre simply too exausted.

I think this food scare has been planned to get people to change their buying habits to buy more expensive fresh meats that they think are more healthy and trutworthy. Others may turn to vegitarianism, while the working poor are yet agin left with no options.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I like that last line. A lot!

But lets be honest here, if we want to go down the "what is good for us" route, then we need to do away with motorised transport, power stations (of any description), pesticides, fertilisers (unless natural), mobile phones, electricity - basically pretty much everything invented post 1700 (can't be bothered to list more!).

Most things are detrimental to our health these days.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Those Tesco burgers are actually quite nice, I'll have you know
- maybe it was the horse in them!

I don't have an issue with eating any creature, everything is food. Some are further down my list than others, mind you and some I wouldn't touch unless I was starving, but it is the way of the world since the dawn of life. Everything eats everything else.

The only problem I have with this is labelling and dishonesty rather than any disgust at the meat itself. Some bastard somewhere is making a tidy profit selling meat that may or may not be fit for human consumption and is other than as described on the packet. I hope whoever is behind this mess gets what they are due.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by merkins

If I may just interject....

In the UK, fresh food does not carry VAT, but frozen processed food does. It is actually more expensive and of a lower quality. For a few quid you can get a decent pack of fresh beef steak mince and turn that into 6-8 fresh, home made burgers that would cost less than the £3 they charge for the 4 pack of 1/4lb horse-burgers.

Or, as another example, 4 coated chicken breasts are around £3, give or take, but they will be smaller than a fresh breast and likely contain filler too. While a pack of fresh chicken breast might set you back £4-5, you will get more meat for your money and it is more versatile.

There is no reason why you cannot feed a family of 4-5 for around £5-£7 a meal using fresh ingredients only, which is better for you as well and once you get the hag of cooking, taste better.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

It is not o.k. to use the animals after they have died because we don't know how they died. Even the most visually impaired slaughterhouse operative would be able to tell if a horse walked past in a line of cows. That means they are not being slaughtered 'legally', therefore, they are not being slaughtered with respect, they will not have been stunned, and God knows what else will have happened to them, their legs could be broken whilst being loaded or unloaded from the trailers, they will be terrified as they will not be other horses or people that they know, horses do not behave like cattle etc, they react strongly when scared, so they will be treated with aggression by their handlers. How long will they have been dead before they end up as food? Days? weeks? These horses will more than likely have been pets for years, they will have had loving human contact, been groomed, stabled, given carrots and had their ears rubbed when they're cold, and we have betrayed them. At least meat animals are kept 'at arms length' by those who make their living from them. We owe so much to the horse. It has been our friend and beast of burden for centuries. This is a betrayal of the animal and us.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by merkins

Merkins, a very serious answer to your post. The working poor would be so much better off eating good vegan food, both for their pocketbooks and for the children's health. Lentils and brown rice, seasoned to perfection, is my favorite meal on the planet. Not very costly, especially when compared to the price of "meat". Then toss in an onion or two, brocolli if you can afford it (that's one that the cost is rising on), potatoes with olive oil and seasoning, and you have all the nutrients and protein you need (a need to eat meat and drink unhealthy cow juices to obtain your protein is a long-standing myth). The children will be healthier, the pocketbook will have more cash for other items, and if you eat this way for a few weeks you will understand what all the vegan fuss is about.

edit on 8-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by tazdeill2

Oh God - that just made me cry.
I have to leave for a while now..had to stop reading half way through
It is true, heartbreaking

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join