It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Horse lasagne' sparks new UK food scare.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by HelenConway

How can you compare eating horses to eating humans?

That honestly makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. At the end of the day, i am human. I like animals (particularly when roasted and with a decent sauce) but humans come first.

If we can't trust the labels on foods, how do we know we aren't eating humans? And if they died of natural causes, would it be o.k.?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   

reply to post by tazdeill2

I don't know, Ketamine (horse tranquiliser) is fairly popular amongst a certain section of society!

Helen,

What is a companion animal? (ok, i am being obtuse). However, the fact remains that "companion animal" is a made up term for something. The reality is much starker (and simpler) - they are simply animals that we use. Because our brains evolved rather than other aspects, it just means we are better at using animals than other animals are.

That is not how I SEE it at all. That is how you see it.

I do not see horses as JUST animals - they are amazing sentient creatures, who work with us, have served us - now they end up on the dinner plate .

It is sick

What is sicker is how nearly everyone on this thread thinks that is ok.

It is evil - literally, notthat I would expect those shoulder shruggers to get that. They don;t care, they would not care if it was dog or human or gorilla in their lasagne. As long as it tasted good.

Guess what there is a karma to what we eat, leave disgusted.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by tazdeill2

That honestly makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. At the end of the day, i am human. I like animals (particularly when roasted and with a decent sauce) but humans come first.

If we can't trust the labels on foods, how do we know we aren't eating humans? And if they died of natural causes, would it be o.k.?

I agree with you here - it is the part i have difficulty with. If it says beef then it should be beef, end of story. If it says horse then fair enough though, and i think this is where i differ from some of the posters (particularly Helen it would appear). I really do not see the problem with eating meat of any description - as long as you know what it is that you are actually getting.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by tazdeill2

I agree with you here - it is the part i have difficulty with. If it says beef then it should be beef, end of story. If it says horse then fair enough though, and i think this is where i differ from some of the posters (particularly Helen it would appear). I really do not see the problem with eating meat of any description - as long as you know what it is that you are actually getting.

so just eat your dogs then - only someone with no conscience can think it is OK to eat anything - dogs cat humans horse. You are in good company on this thread.

Animals are just food walking, Disgusting,

They haev as much right to life as humans - but most humans wantto destroy life, in one way or another.

Even if they do sound all logical and reasonable.

Eat dog or elephant- why not I mean our pies are more important then their lives after all.

I feel sick.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
This is absolutely disgusting and all that, but I think more is going on here than 'meats' the eye.

What's the best way to change people's eating habits from less expensive (still not cheap) meat products to very expensive fresh meat, or indeed vegitarianism?

Have an industry wide food scandal for prepared meals so people can no longer trust the producers. Lets also not forget that some of the meat is contaminated with 'bute', a drug that adverse affects white blood cells.

There's a signpost up ahead, next stop the soylent green packaging factory.
edit on 8-2-2013 by merkins because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   

So i have no conscience then? What a laughable comment.

You are fast coming across over this last week as someone that is highly intolerant of anybody who thinks differently to yourself.

Have a happy life and stay safe up on that high horse of yours. And watch out it doesn't end up on the shelves at Tesco's.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   

So i have no conscience then? What a laughable comment.

You are fast coming across over this last week as someone that is highly intolerant of anybody who thinks differently to yourself.

Have a happy life and stay safe up on that high horse of yours. And watch out it doesn't end up on the shelves at Tesco's.

I was not talking about you as such , just in general - if and when people just see animals as walking pies - yes - I think they have lost some of their humanity and their conscience.

Animals are treated appallingly by humans and this thread where practically everyone thinks any creature is game to eat - shows a low vibration.

I have reread what I read it is quite clear I was not directly referring to you - I said ' anyone who thinks', so it is 'if the cap fits'
edit on 8-2-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

I don't know, Ketamine (horse tranquiliser) is fairly popular amongst a certain section of society!

Helen,

What is a companion animal? (ok, i am being obtuse). However, the fact remains that "companion animal" is a made up term for something. The reality is much starker (and simpler) - they are simply animals that we use. Because our brains evolved rather than other aspects, it just means we are better at using animals than other animals are.

That is not how I SEE it at all. That is how you see it.

I do not see horses as JUST animals - they are amazing sentient creatures, who work with us, have served us - now they end up on the dinner plate .

It is sick

What is sicker is how nearly everyone on this thread thinks that is ok.

It is evil - literally, notthat I would expect those shoulder shruggers to get that. They don;t care, they would not care if it was dog or human or gorilla in their lasagne. As long as it tasted good.

Guess what there is a karma to what we eat, leave disgusted.

Sorry Helen, I must have messed up my quote/reply there.
I love horses and have shared my life with them for many years. I am also a vegetarian who is trying to put the case across for how bad this fraud is, without wearing my jesus sandals. I think people should consider this issue very seriously, it's not just what tastes o.k. people are potentially being poisoned yet again in order for the rich to get richer. I had to have a horse euthanased, and was shocked at how difficult it was to arrange it - the phone book had many entries for people who would do it, but on enquiry, they were all meat men. It was very difficult to get it done, and very expensive, that is why I know pet horses end up in the meat chain. I had to borrow the money to give my animal the respect he deserved at the end of his life.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Hi Tazdeil
Thank you for your reply. I totally agree with you.
I am just shocked by how unseriously and how unconcerned most of the other posters are.
As I said most appear to see animals as walking pies - this attitude is very very sad.
BTW in that post my reply was actually to Flavian
, who is happy to eat horse.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by b14warrior
Saw the government said anybody in possession of this product should dispose of it immediately!
What a waste. Nothing wrong with it! It's just labeled wrongly!

The reason the govt is saying that because of the powerful drugs found in the meat that are known to cause issues in humans regarding white blood cells.

---

Also if its horsemeat it should be labelled as such and be correspondingly cheaper as its a cheaper ingredient.

It should also be noted that this is not just a british problem, most if not all this meat is coming from outside the UK. We've just been the first place to identify this probem. The UK has a history of being he first place to identify food chain issues. Despite our food industry being corrupt we 'fess up much more readily than they do on the continent.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by Spookycolt

Because its advertised as beef. Why are some struggling to grasp this concept? Horse could be the tastiest healthiest meet ever, but when your being told your getting beef, you expect beef not horse. If dog and cat were tasty and healthy, would you not mind them being used instead f beef without your knowledge?

Amen, this is the real issue here. It doesn't matter whether horse is ok and nice to eat, it's the fact that people have been duped and lied to that's the biggest problem.

It makes me wonder just what else they fail to mention on the ingredients list on a product.

Personally i wouldn't touch this kind of food with a bargepole, but as a child in the 80's my folks would on the odd occasion serve up findus crispy pancakes and other findus products....Mmmm tasty

I wonder how long this has been going on for?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I love how because of the sheer scale of response we'll get here in the uk from this, they are wording things like.

We detected 100% horse meat in some products.

So... It's horse-meat then, nothing else, it contains horse-meat and horse-meat alone? you've gone and bought horse-meat then shoveled horse-meat into your mouth.

100% horse-meat yes that's right.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by merkins

Originally posted by b14warrior
Saw the government said anybody in possession of this product should dispose of it immediately!
What a waste. Nothing wrong with it! It's just labeled wrongly!

The reason the govt is saying that because of the powerful drugs found in the meat that are known to cause issues in humans regarding white blood cells.

Have they named these powerful drugs? Or have they found more secret ingredients that they are a bit scared to disclose?

Edit: Seen that the drug found is Phenylbutazone.

It does make me chuckle a bit, because people probably have slabs of beef and other meats in their fridges that have been pumped full of all kinds of drugs during the farming process.

edit on 8-2-2013 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
This could actually turn out to be a good thing. It may put enough people off buying this tripe and they will start to cook from fresh again. Well.... Maybe.

edit on 8-2-2013 by skitzspiricy because: Can't type today

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Hi Tazdeil
Thank you for your reply. I totally agree with you.
I am just shocked by how unseriously and how unconcerned most of the other posters are.
As I said most appear to see animals as walking pies - this attitude is very very sad.
BTW in that post my reply was actually to Flavian
, who is happy to eat horse.

Hi Helen, I think many people say 'what the hell' because that would be my first response - meat is meat -, and to think anything else might be considered hypocritical. Also, 'meat is meat' might be more of a male response, as men are closer to the caves. I think it's when we start to think about it a bit more though, it is actually very sinister, it is yet another way that capitalism is screwing us over and I think we should be extremely angry about it. Not only is packaged food becoming smaller for the same amount of money, it isn't even the stuff we thought we were buying - how much more profit do these companies want to make, and how far will they go to make it?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

maybe but if meat is meat then they are saying they would be happy to eat dogs and cats and dolphins.
Maybe it is a male thing, do you think men feel less then women ? I do not think so.
I think many humans just do not care about animals, despite the fact that humans are animals

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Originally posted by SkipIntro
I know that our politics are screwed up but I swear that we had nothing to do with your horsey issues!

I just couldn't imagine eating roos. Do people hunt them or are they raised for consumption like cattle?

I'm sure aboriginals would still hunt them.. From a couple of natives I met from the NT, the tail is good eating.

Everybody should have a piece of tail.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
and what is exactly the problem with Horse meat? You can eat it in many countries. Although it would be nice if they would mention it on the packages so people can choose it themselves.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

maybe but if meat is meat then they are saying they would be happy to eat dogs and cats and dolphins.
Maybe it is a male thing, do you think men feel less then women ? I do not think so.
I think many humans just do not care about animals, despite the fact that humans are animals

I think we would eat dogs,cats,dolphins and anything else going if we were starving. I'm sure if I was in a concentration canp during the war, I would have eaten the person in the next bunk through desperation.
These days though, we should have a choice, and these food giants have removed that from us.
I do think that generally, men are less sentimental about these things than women, it's not a good or bad thing, just different. Most people care about animals to a greater or lesser extent, but we can't care too much because we expoloit them, and our brains would explode if we really thought of them as equal. I think there is a post on this thread asking whether one would rescue an animal or a human from a burning building - it's really a no brainer, it would have to be the human. And if the choice was an adult or a child, it would be the child. It's just the way we are. I love animals so much I can't eat them, and I don't like humans much at all, but I'm afraid the animal would have to fend for itself.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Yes Helen, i am very happy to eat horse. It tastes delicious. That said, until this story broke, i have only had horse when i have known it was going to be horse (in France).

Mislabelling food is clearly wrong. Aside from the fraud aspect (which is what it actually is) there are also the health aspects to consider. It is a major story for this reason.

However, as to what meat is good and what isn't, that is entirely down to each individuals perspective - it is a food based variation on the old terrorist or freedom fighter dilemma.

As you so rightly point out, we are simply animals at the end of the day. So we should therefore act like it - after all, you don't see animals having lengthy moral dilemmas about which other animals they should eat do you?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join