It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Horse lasagne' sparks new UK food scare.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I don’t mind eating cows, sheep, deer’s, rabbits, chickens, pigs or fish so why should I care if I am eating a horse.

Yes I do agree that it’s terrible that it’s been put into food products without telling us but if horse meet tastes good then I will quite happily eat it. I would eat a unicorn if it tasted good enough!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Burger King drops horse meat supplier

Here is the link from the UK Burger King scandal that happened recently. Sometimes I'm very suspicious of the dim sims I get from my fish and chip shop. Not too long ago there was a Chinese shop near my place that was caught out using Ibis as chicken.
I don't think there was an article on the net about it- just the local paper. They are like pigeons in NYC- everywhere here!
We call them bin chickens- maybe the meaning got lost in translation? Haha.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Spookycolt

I think the issue is the vaccines and other things administered to horses are not considered fit for human consumption. In the US we may use other forms of these drugs and vaccines that can be ingested.

edit on 8-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz

I think the issue is the vaccines and other things administered to horses are not considered fit for human consumption. In the US we may use other forms of these drugs and vaccines that can be ingested.

edit on 8-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

That's true. As someone else said- we eat most animals; why not horse?
I, personally think its a bit weird to eat horse but each to their own. I mean, not many here would have eaten emu, crocodile or kangaroo before!
It's the chemicals that they use to kill the horses that can affect humans in a negative way! And according to the article, these horse may not be 'legal', as in the meat used was obtained in ill gotten ways...

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
How the hell can this happen???

The only similarity Horses and Cows have is that they both have 4 legs for gods sake. This is obviously deliberate! Its not like one poor horse somehow fell into the mincer!

Findus obviously new the score!

There bawbag company should be liquidated and the board made to eat tons of there own horse lasagna!

Mr Ed will be turning in his grave!
edit on 8-2-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Well seeing as people have obviously been eating it for a while now, and in all forms and makes without complaining that it tastes of horse....maybe we'll see a turn around in the thinking about eating horse.

I wouldn't say it's my cup of tea, but if it tastes ok, who knows?

I wonder how many will turn to vegetarianism after this?

I just hope that any criminal activity behind this doesn't involve missing people.....and no i'm not joking.

CX.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Well seeing as people have obviously been eating it for a while now, and in all forms and makes without complaining that it tastes of horse....maybe we'll see a turn around in the thinking about eating horse.

I wouldn't say it's my cup of tea, but if it tastes ok, who knows?

I wonder how many will turn to vegetarianism after this?

I just hope that any criminal activity behind this doesn't involve missing people.....and no i'm not joking.

CX.

Oh wow, you've just thrown a whole new spin on this situation!
Wonder if they have tested for human remains?
I think at least once, at one in the last 50 or even 20 years a human could have been minced up and sold (maybe not intentionally; but a way to dispose of a corpse) as a hotdog or meat pie.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Thread title mentions food 'scare' but OP does not explain what the 'scare' is. The fact that you're eating horse meat is not a problem, horse meat is delicious and perfectly safe.

The problems only come in when those horses have been previously injected with performance enhancing drugs, some trainers use chemicals extracted from the back of South American tree Frogs, this should be your main concern.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
These products have been sold and bought as BEEF products. I don't have a problem with having a variety of meat being made available. Horse meat, and other kinds of meat too, are safe for human consumption provided they do not contain medicines/drugs, chemicals, heavy metals etc and if the history of the animal can be confirmed.

The problem here is that the suppliers have been using horse meat as a filler to maximise profits and the supermarkets have not been checking what they are selling to their customers. The problem is that the suppliers/supermarkets have not been honest about the contents of the food and it has not been labelled properly. If they labelled the foods as containing horsemeat, then I don't believe there is a problem - people will buy it if they want to. Surely this breaks trade description laws, so we should be expecting some kind of legal action/consequence for whoever is found responsible for this.

The other worry I have is about what else suppliers are adding to our food that we don't know about because they don't tell us - and they clearly do as this scandal shows. Any fillers should be clearly labelled and then we can make up our own minds whether or not to eat it - and we wonder why there is a growing problem of obesity with all this c*&p being added to our food?

What are food fillers?

I choose not to eat package/processed meals precisly for this reason and avoid the value products altogether because I wonder how they make them so cheap (and we know now don't we, even though we probably knew all along) I tend to buy the minced beef and make my own lasanges, chillis and shepherd pies which is no hassle. I know what's in them and I can control how much salt/fat/sugar they contain and can add extra vegetables to make it even tastier and healther.

When I go shopping and I buy beef mince from a supermarket, that's what it should be - minced beef. How I can make healthy decisions about food when I can't trust what I am buying?

They used to do this in Victorian times to bulk out food and make more profit. Have we ever left those times?

More examples of this:

www.guardian.co.uk... ting

www... .washingtonsblog.com/2013/02/food-manufacturers-are-fraudulently-diluting-high-quality-food-with-inferior-quality-items.html

www.cracked.com... rrifying-lies-food-industry-feeding-you.html

edit on 8/2/2013 by YarlanZey because: To correct silly spelling mistooks and add linkys

edit on 8/2/2013 by YarlanZey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
How the hell can this happen???

The only similarity Horses and Cows have is that they both have 4 legs for gods sake. This is obviously deliberate! Its not like one poor horse somehow fell into the mincer!

Findus obviously new the score!

There bawbag company should be liquidated and the board made to eat tons of there own horse lasagna!

edit on 8-2-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

Sorry to break it to you but Mr Ed was turned into glue decades ago.

Findus do not run these factories, they outsource to other firms. Therefore, it is very possible that they had no idea. That said, i am sure they did know but will obviously know deny any knowledge of it!

I am not really sure what to make of this, to be honest. It is wrong (obviously) but then in a weird way shouldn't we be applauding these firms for ensuring that dead horses aren't simply wasted? It isn't like they were breeding horses to use as meat is it? Mind you, that raises the possibility.........are we also eating dead dogs, cats, gerbils, etc?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
To be fair, if you buy ready meals, frozen burgers etc. Then you deserve to eat whatever rubbish they stick in them.
Pay a little more for grass fed meat from a proper supplier and mince it in the food processor. When you want lasagne, make it. It's easy enough.

No time to cook? Buy a slow cooker and use that, throw everything into it in the morning, switch it on as you race out the door to work and when you get home you'll have a great stew, curry or pot roast just waiting for you to get stuck in. What's more the only bad stuff in there will be what you decided to put in, not what some corporate thief hid, in order to make a little more money.
Alternatively, shop at somewhere like wholefoods or a similar chain of ethical, organic shops.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I can't help but wonder how long it's been going on for. If not for the rise of relatively cheap and quick DNA testing, who would have ever known?

I don't personally have a problem with eating horsemeat. As far as I'm concerned, if the product isn't misrepresented as something else as it has been in these unfolding scandals, then it's fine. Horsemeat is quite delicious.

I say that fully acknowledging that for others, horsemeat is something that they would never want to knowingly ingest. Culturally, it's perfectly valid to have strong aversions to the meat of animals that we consider companions rather than necessarily just livestock.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

Slow cooker - i bloody swear by it these days. And i am a rubbish cook too! Seriously, Jesus and the 5'000 would have been seriously screwed if i had that particular catering contract!
I am the only person i know who can consistently melt pasta to pans. And then i discovered the joys of a slow cooker.........

Means i now get quality meat from the local butcher (horse optional rather than ready supplied) and i don't have to bother with careful cooking - simply chuck it in and forget about it for the rest of the day.......until i feel hungry in the evenings.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake

Or his supermarket lasagne tray.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Because they are not bred for meat - we do not kill our companion animals.
Eating horse meat is sick

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by xquietonex

I think your post pretty much hits the nail on the head.
The sale of horse as beef is fraud, people have been lied to and if it is possible to do this, what else is going on? Max Keiser on RT reckons our milk is diluted, might not be a bad thing, but again, if true, another fraud.
Horses are not usually farmed for meet, they are working/recreation animals, and in the u.k very often 'pets'. They are routinely given drugs such as wormers, and 'bute' which is a painkiller, and even steroids in order to 'keep them going'. These drugs specifically state that they must not be given to horses intended for human consumption unless a period of time - about 21 days - has elapsed, in order for the drug to be out of the horses system. If a horse has been on some drugs for a long time, a horse would not be safe to eat.
As this situation has come about due to 'criminal activity' I don't think for a nanosecond that the people involved would care much about whether the horse was fit for human consumption or not.
I hope people consider the serious implications of this, rather than whether they like the taste or not, it is much more important than that.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
I don’t mind eating cows, sheep, deer’s, rabbits, chickens, pigs or fish so why should I care if I am eating a horse.

Yes I do agree that it’s terrible that it’s been put into food products without telling us but if horse meet tastes good then I will quite happily eat it. I would eat a unicorn if it tasted good enough!

why not eat cat or dog of you ar e so indiscriminate about what animal is killed for food .

It saddens me when I read threads like there whereby people shrug their shoulders and do not seem the slightest bit concerned that they have been eating horse.

What has happened to humanity. Why not just eat other humans.

Very sad. No wonder mankind is falling and the vibration of man is probably lower then ever
edit on 8-2-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by tazdeill2

I don't know, Ketamine (horse tranquiliser) is fairly popular amongst a certain section of society!

Helen,

What is a companion animal? (ok, i am being obtuse). However, the fact remains that "companion animal" is a made up term for something. The reality is much starker (and simpler) - they are simply animals that we use. Because our brains evolved rather than other aspects, it just means we are better at using animals than other animals are.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by aspiechick
I heard about this earlier, and just looked at oh, and said "do you think they're produced in France?"...

www.bbc.co.uk...

People have been warned not to eat the products, which were made for Findus by French food supplier Comigel

When something says "beef" on the pack, I expect bovine meat... not horse. Then again, I don't eat ready meal lasagne, I make it from beef mince... or what I hope is beef mince anyway. Hahahaha!

I do actually find it funny... but I wonder what people that keep horses think. I would be horrified if I knew there was cat meat, for example, in something!
edit on 7-2-2013 by aspiechick because: I can spell, but my fingers clearly have a life of their own.

seems like the majority here do not care what they eat. OnE said he would even eat a unicorn given a chance.
I find this very sad. Words cannot express - how evil people can be when it comes to their stomach.

I am lost for words.

I know you love animals so do you really find it funny ?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

How can you compare eating horses to eating humans?

That honestly makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. At the end of the day, i am human. I like animals (particularly when roasted and with a decent sauce) but humans come first.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join