It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calif. seeks to adopt nation's toughest gun laws

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Well, my friends, read it and weep. This is what my adopted state thinks your Constitutional rights consist of.

San Francisco Chronicle [SFGate]

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Weeks after New York enacted the nation's toughest gun laws, California lawmakers said Thursday they want their state to do even more in response to recent mass shootings, particularly the Connecticut school massacre.

Democrats who control the state Legislature revealed 10 proposals that they said would make California the most restrictive state for possessing firearms.

Ahem....

Among the measures is one that would outlaw the future sale of semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines. The restriction would prevent quick reloading by requiring bullets to be loaded one at a time.

List of Proposed California Gun Control Measures

Thanks to Reddit:

Possession of hollow point bullets and similar assault bullets a felony.

Must register and report ammo purchases. Only purchase max 500 rounds.

10 round magazine limit

ALL magazines must be fixed to the gun (can not be removed without the use of a tool)

100% prohibition of all magazines greater than 10 rounds. All previous grandfathered magazines become illegal. Felony if you keep one.

Changing definition of shotgun revolving cylinder--Basically only single shot shotguns will remain legal.

Bullet Buttons will become illegal--All AR and AK style rifles that are currently equipped with them will be designated Assault Weapons. Felony to possess.

All gun owners now must be licensed like drivers.

All gun owners must carry gun liability insurance

Still thinking about that move to Texas....

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

I suppose they weren't paying attention to what happened in Chicago, NYC, Camden NJ, St. Louis, and Washington DC.

Morons.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Well, I'm about as far as you can get in the states from Cali, and still drive around the country and still stay warm...LOL

You can have it!

I wonder why Californians put up with this blantant disregard for our way of life for the past 200+ years?
Surely, there are more folks with common sense than with salt water and sugar sand, in their brains, out that way...

Isn't there?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt
Surely, there are more folks with common sense than with salt water and sugar sand, in their brains, out that way...

Isn't there?

You'd think. They're few and far between, though. I must say this was a much different state when I moved here in 1978. Although I think it started about that time (Jonestown, you know). And then Jackie Speier, who escaped (it's a long story) became a congressperson and started the whole gun-control thing--at least as I remember it....

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Well they are going to have to go "toe to toe" with New York aren't they? It's like a modern day tyrannical version of the ok corral.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
you liberty loving californians better set the politicians strait real soon, or get out.
eventually they might not let you leave.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Yeah, the California government's a great fan of tyranny. They want to know what you're up to and why at all possible times--so they can help you, you see....

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjax9er
you liberty loving californians better set the politicians strait real soon, or get out.

Holy s***! I hadn't thought of that....

edit on 2/7/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
California needs to be more concerned with their police shooting unarmed people at the moment.

But who am I kidding California lawmakers see the average citizen more of a threat.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
California needs to be more concerned with their police shooting unarmed people at the moment.

But who am I kidding California lawmakers see the average citizen more of a threat.

Yeah, apparently they'd rather tuck us in and kiss our little foreheads than shoot us. But, goddammit, we just won't stay in the house and out of trouble....

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I would hate to make a blanket statement that nobody in California loves liberty but my God man, California is one the most backward states I can think of when it comes to common sense laws (medical marijuana aside!).

They could honestly be a country unto themselves. On one hand I think it is good that a state can express and enforce there Constitutional right to enact policy and law outside of what has been mandated by the federal government but on the other hand, they have a million extremely rich people living there and the state is dead broke.

I'm confused about California. I guess I need to look into it further before I could actually make an intelligent statement about there purposed state laws but one thing I can say is that any state that defies the Constitution and enacts laws in direct conflict with the Constitution needs to be reigned back in by the residents of that state.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
This is the best news I've heard in a long time. I've been wanting to take the family on a relaxing vacation to Compton for a long time and now, with these laws enacted, we'll be able to do it.

The real reason for these draconian gun laws in California is that when they finally build the super train, for which they will need an additonal $92nb to finish, of which they don't have a dime, nor any plan what so ever to generate the money, there won't be any guns for the train robbers.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I hope everyone is considering the fact that Diane Feinstein is one of California's 2 Senators and a very powerful force in the state in general. She's the one pushing the national measures the hardest as well so, as California goes, so goes everyone eventually.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious

I would hate to make a blanket statement that nobody in California loves liberty but my God man, California is one the most backward states I can think of when it comes to common sense laws (medical marijuana aside!).

They could honestly be a country unto themselves. On one hand I think it is good that a state can express and enforce there Constitutional right to enact policy and law outside of what has been mandated by the federal government but on the other hand, they have a million extremely rich people living there and the state is dead broke.

I'm confused about California. I guess I need to look into it further before I could actually make an intelligent statement about there purposed state laws but one thing I can say is that any state that defies the Constitution and enacts laws in direct conflict with the Constitution needs to be reigned back in by the residents of that state.

Part of the problem, I believe, is that only the rich and Hollywood bother to vote. The rest of us have become too disgusted with the whole thing. But I agree that it's a hard state to pin down. There are those who think California should be broken into 2 states: South California and North California. They're that different. No surprise they seem internally inconsistent....

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I hope everyone is considering the fact that Diane Feinstein is one of California's 2 Senators and a very powerful force in the state in general. She's the one pushing the national measures the hardest as well so, as California goes, so goes everyone eventually.

Thank you for that Wrabbit: You are correct. Recently someone suggested that we write our senators and representatives. All I could say was: But... but... my senator IS Feinstein....

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Well, we can take 1 shot each....

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Is your Governor still that one guy, that made much of his fame and fortune with some kind of a weapon in his hands?

edit on 2/7/2013 by GoOfYFoOt because: aaddee

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt
Is your Governor still that one guy, that made much of his fortune with some kind of a weapon in his hands?

Schwarzenegger? No. We were so smart we re-elected Jerry Brown (who had been Governor in the '70s)--you remember: "Governor Moonbeam"? Well, he's an old man now. Developed a bit of an iron fist....

edit on 2/7/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Having read the article the following questions must be asked:

What exactly will the actual text of the law, that is most important to read, as it would ultimately determine the legality of this law and who all it would affect. If the law is badly written, and chances are that it will be, then there are ways to make the law makers suffer from such.

For example, if they fail to write in exemptions to the law, then the police and say armed guards could be held accountable for failing to follow the law. Further that the state could be sued on the grounds of discrimination.

It will be the target of lawsuits, on the grounds that a certain part of the population who hunts, or even participates in shooting events would feel the effects of the law, and could ulitmately cause more problems.

Then there are the criminals, what will they do for such? It will do nothing to stem the tide of them using such, nor prevent an underground and blackmarket for such happening, along with a rush on people purchasing ammunition before the law goes into effect, as there is no real way to police such, no data base that would be in effect. There is no way to stop a person from going to one store purchasing say 500 rounds, then going to another shop and purchasing 500 rounds and so forth. Nor does it take into account those who have the tools and the skills to make their own bullets, and reload the shells.

It will also make it hard for those who deal in weapons and are collectors of antique weapons.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Another thing to add to my list of reasons not to ever go to California again.

Among the measures is one that would outlaw the future sale of semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines.

100% prohibition of all magazines greater than 10 rounds. All previous grandfathered magazines become illegal. Felony if you keep one

Changing definition of shotgun revolving cylinder--Basically only single shot shotguns will remain legal.

Well, I guess it's easier to just turn law abiding citizens into felons with the stroke of a pen, rather than go after those that are actually hurting people. Now that's what I call Progressive!

"It strikes me as if these folks are playing some sort of game of one-upsmanship with New York at the expense of law-abiding citizens, and that's just unconscionable," he said about lawmakers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join