It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Into the wild!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Greetings,

My soon to be wife and I have found ourselves with a week off of work and having been talking for weeks about what we would do or where we would go. Obviously, she wan'ts to get plane tickets and spend her time on the beach sipping cocktails and revel in the fact she has a reason to wear one of her 400 pairs of shoes at night clubs but after much debate, being called names, cut off from sex and a couple sleepless nights on the couch I can proudly say, we are going to the Shawnee National Forrest in southern Illinois.

I can only thank those members on ATS that disagree with everything I say for helping me to hone my debate skills and giving me the tools I needed to wear her down out of shear exhaustion!

My thought and what I tried to explain to her is I think with all that is going on in the world right now, it would be amazing for us to spend 5 days alone in the forest with nothing to do but reconnect with nature and each other on a level that is impossible when you are dealing with every day life in the "real world".

We have both decided that if we are going to do this, that we are going to do it right to get the full experience and in that direction we are bringing on the bare minimum we feel we can take to survive. The idea is that by exposing ourselves to danger, to the unknown and willingly putting ourselves in a position of survival, it will serve to bring us closer together and help us to recognize the most important thing we take for granted every day........ Life.

Don't get me wrong, we are not on a suicide mission here! I have purchased a very solid cold weather tent. We have two sleeping bags rated for freezing weather, two waterproof tarps, a fiskars 14" axe and a really expensive hiking backpack filled with all sorts of waterproof wizardry but nothing mechanical. I tried to argue to not bring the tent but after repeated discussion I realized that if I failed to build an adequate shelter the first night out, it would be a very, very long "vacation" lol so I gave in on that.

As far as the food goes, I wanted to bring nothing and hunt for our own food. I do not own a gun but I do have a crossbow but I am not sure of the legality of that in Shawnee so I thought it best if I didn't bring it and also, the weight and size of it seemed unmanageable anyway. I elected instead to bring a slingshot with fiber optic sights and a wrist guard that is foldable, light weight and easily stored. My plan is to try to hunt small game such as squirrels and birds and I don't think we would need more than one or two to get by. That said, I have agreed to bring an 18oz bag of trail mix. 4 granola bars and 2 bags of beef jerky just in case!

I have never hunted or killed an animal and while I think I could do it, there is always the chance that once I am out there and have the little guy in my sights...... I just couldn't do it. Probably not but I don't know quite yet and couldn't until that time came so we will have to see how that works out. I have however, watched multiple instructional videos online on how to clean and process the meat. It seems gruesome but that is nature I guess.

I have dreamed of doing this for quite some time and I can't wait to experience what the woods and primitive camping and survival have to offer us in the way of personal growth and experience. I know it's not all fun and games but I think no matter what happens we will come out of the tree line better people for it and more in love for sharing the experience.

The best thing and something I have not told my special lady is that we are in fact only spending 3 days in the bush and I have reserved a cabin rental complete wit skylights, a hot tub, fireplace and bearskin rugs for our last 2 days out. I plan to camp around 3 miles from the cabin and slowly work there a mile a day while we are out until the last day when we arrive and I surprise her with the check in. She has no idea and I think she will love it and this is where I plan to ask her to marry me.

Wish me luck ATS and any advice will be greatly appreciated!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Looks and sounds beautiful.
Enjoy, make the most of it and take away some wonderful memories!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Might end up as soon NOT to be your wife if she is anything like my wife

Might be ok for a little while, but I think she and her mind will wander over to that beach in the sun, sipping cocktails and looking her best in her bikini but then again, I might be wrong and the two of you will have a great time. Hope so.
Best of luck and hope you have a great time whatever you decide

Just read the last part of your post, that's nice and my lady and I have been together for over 26 years and counting, so I hope you have found that someone special as well...
edit on 7-2-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

You know if this trip goes bad you're screwed.
Or should I say not screwed.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
Might end up as soon NOT to be your wife if she is anything like my wife

Might be ok for a little while, but I think she and her mind will wander over to that beach in the sun, sipping cocktails and looking her best in her bikini but then again, I might be wrong and the two of you will have a great time. Hope so.
Best of luck and hope you have a great time whatever you decide

Just read the last part of your post, that's nice and my lady and I have been together for over 26 years and counting, so I hope you have found that someone special as well...
edit on 7-2-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

Well, this is my litmus test. I figure we have 3 days to find out what were both made of before we get to that point and while I am wildly optimistic because she is a very special girl and I think she is very strong, you never quite know what to expect in this kind of situation and in truth I don't completely know what to expect from myself.

That is the beauty of taking the leap and resigning yourself back to nature for a while. It is off the step, out of the box and something you see on TV from Les Stroud and Bear Grylls but never experience for yourself, (most of us). I couldn't dream up a better way to try and come together or to try to experience the real me or the real her.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

We don't need to "Wish you Luck", your two are going to have a blast!
It may be good to bring a radio with you.
You might just dial in the right station.

Have a great time, and take a few pix for old time sake.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by Helious

You know if this trip goes bad you're screwed.
Or should I say not screwed.

Trust me, I have had nightmares about that almost every night since we agreed on it. I spend an unhealthy amount of time watching survivorman and combing the internet for edible plants in Illinois and how to make fire even though I'm heading out with probably 8 lighters and pound of waterproof matches rofl.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
You must come back on here and tell us the outcome....I waited until I thought my partner was ready and when it was, she and I have never regretted it so go for it. Hope it works out for the two of you.....

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

You must come back on here and tell us the outcome....I waited until I thought my partner was ready and when it was, she and I have never regretted it so go for it. Hope it works out for the two of you.....

Thank you! I promise to not only come back to this thread to update with the answer but I will also bring amazing pictures of the Shawnee Forrest and from all first hand accounts I have received so far, it is a mystical and captivating place. A large and beautiful Forrest that has been shaped and nurtured by the Mississippi river basin. I honestly can't wait to not only capture but also share the photos!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious

Thank you! I promise to not only come back to this thread to update with the answer but I will also bring amazing pictures of the Shawnee Forrest and from all first hand accounts I have received so far, it is a mystical and captivating place. A large and beautiful Forrest that has been shaped and nurtured by the Mississippi river basin. I honestly can't wait to not only capture but also share the photos!

Remember to take a cell phone with you in case something happens and you need help quickly, bet you forget something once you are there. Always happens to me lol
Look forward to the pics,and the wedding pics to come also...
Looks beautiful....

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Very cool, romantic and clever!! Hope you and your soon to be bride have a wonderful time. I think she'll reward you my friend!! Ummm, if she doesn't get it, then I wouldn't get her

Peace!! ID

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Your very smart to keep an easy way out with the cabin close by. I was going to be harsh with you until I read that part so I say have a great time since you've covered your basis.

Hunting for your own food, especially with little experience, is tough at best. And I don't care what people say, most of the stuff you end up eating tastes like s**t.

Do yourself a favor, and I've learned this over years of living off desert food in the wild, bring a pocket full of salt and pepper packets. It makes a world of difference!

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Well, I promised an update and I have to tell you this was one of the best experiences of my life! Nature is amazing and though we faced some challenges, we came out on top. The plan as it was devised worked almost down to the hour and when the dust settled, she said YES!

We consummated the union by meticulously tweezing ticks off each other for the next three days rofl.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Excellent news! Glad it all worked out for you with all the planning that you did and the outcome for both of you as well.
Congrats and hope you have many years of happiness together

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
What an amazing story, thanks for sharing

the secret cabin part was very smart - im happy to see it turned out good.
And dont stop surprising her like that just because just because you managed to put a ring on her finger - the real ordeal is to keep it there

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Wow how amazingly non-consequential. How did the crossbow work? How many animals did you kill and what were they? You will pardon me if i don't think ticks are the biggest worry you had. This type of thing is a daily occurrence where i live. Grats on your relationship. How about some details of the hardships.

V

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Congrats to both of you! I hope that you have a long and happy life together!
Thank you so much for sharing your story.

new topics

top topics

join