It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. government to allow radioactive waste metals to be 'recycled' into consumers products like be

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

U.S. government to allow radioactive waste metals to be 'recycled' into consumers products like belt buckles, silverware

www.naturalnews.com

(NaturalNews) The federal government is currently in the process of trying to get rid of tens of thousands of tons of radioactive scrap metal it has accumulated over the years from various nuclear testing and wartime activities. And a recent proposal made by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) would lift existing restrictions on the recycling and reuse of this nuclear waste, allowing it to be formulated into everyday consumer products like belt buckles, silverware, and even surgical devices use
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
How can they get away with doing something like that. Of course they will give the argument that "It's below 'toxic' levels" or something along those line. Still that doesn't make it right, as as matter a fact when people's health are on the line they shouldn't do something like this. But then again we know that the gov't doesn't have our interest so they do it anyway.

Many imported consumer products already tainted with radiation.

Even though DOE's proposal has yet to become official policy, American consumers already need to be wary of the safety of metal-based products, particularly those imported from other countries. As we reported last January, domestic merchandise retailer Bed, Bath & Beyond recalled a line of tissue holders produced in India from its stores after learning that the metal used in their production was tainted with radio-isotope cobalt-60. In fact, radioactive goods routinely slip through customs, according to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which is a serious cause for concern.

What do 'ya think ATS?

www.naturalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7-2-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I'm guessing it's a back-up plan for those citizens that won't be killed quickly in the coming domestic war.

Can't kill them quick? Kill them slow...all the same.

I know it's probably not the reasoning but I'm at the point that whatever the govt says, I don't believe. Whatever they do, isn't for the greater good and whatever they promise is done with a wink and a nudge.

Peace

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

I have read the article,my jaw dropped and I am speechless.
I only hope that this is some kind of a sick joke and isn't real.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
What would happen if you dropped nuclear waste into the pit of a volcano? Would the Volcano eventually encase and seal the waste?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

I have read the article,my jaw dropped and I am speechless.
I only hope that this is some kind of a sick joke and isn't real.

I think you and I are on the same page there. I read stuff like this and can't help not feeling ashamed...

*shakes head*

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
If allowed, which would be crazy, should be labeled at least. Labeling would probably be similar to California's Proposition 65, alerts to the warning of products containing toxic material but not to what it is.

USB cords, for example, with the cancer warning -

WARNING: Handling the cord on this product will expose you to lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause [cancer, and] birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.

See more here, on that- Cancer warnings

Though, I believe a similar warning would be lenient. Maybe it should have a nuclear or similar symbol.
edit on 7-2-2013 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

This news is very disturbing. One of the things in the article that is a (big red flag) to me is the fact that surgical tools may be made out of the radioactive waste metals; the silverware bothers me too; it all bothers me!

I bookmarked the article and I am going to share it with family and friends; I suggest other members do the same.

This is horrible news...how can it be safe? Is there a way? I am sure they will say there is; regardless if it is true or not!...

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Yes it is very disturbing. Medical tools are by far the worst in my opinion but there are others too that are pretty bad. (Don't get my wrong though, the whole idea is completely effed)

"A Department of Energy proposal to allow up to 14,000 metric tons of its radioactive scrap metal to be recycled into consumer products was called into question today by Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) due to concerns over public health," wrote Rep. Markey in a recent news brief about the issue. "In a letter sent to DOE head Steven Chu, Rep. Markey expressed 'grave concerns' over the potential of these metals becoming jewelry, cutlery, or other consumer products that could exceed healthy doses of radiation without any knowledge by the consumer."

-SAP-

edit on 7-2-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
More and more, we see that intentional population reduction is a very real thing.. Agenda 21 rings a bell.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Belt buckles are worn over the softest and most sensitive organs in the body. The cancers that you can get here usually kill you within 12 months. Also near the testes and ovaries, just the place to produce genetic deformaties. I think I will be switching to suspenders from now on.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

That is rather unnerving..... Just so you know, this behavior has been going on for Years.
This convenient little technique is performed worldwide by companies/governments with scrap
metal of this type.Not just the U.S. Even used in furniture and appliances. In other words, right in your livingroom
Bro. Generally, it is Low Grade Emission material. But , who knows what they toss into The Smelter when
the regulators are having lunch.

It is a Crime Against Humanity, really. It is a Miracle that we even exist at all.

S&F

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
How can they get away with doing something like that. Of course they will give the argument that "It's below 'toxic' levels" or something along those line.

For those who took the time to read the links, the limit planned is 1 millirem above background levels.

I'm no expert on radioactive safety, but wikipedia says a whole 1 rem gives an extra 0.055% chance of eventually developing cancer.
If the effect is linear (but I dont know if it is) , the the government would let you get an extra 0.000055 percent chance of getting cancer by purchasing an item made from the recycled waste.

Any experts on nuclear safety here?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Considering that MEGA Corporations own the US Gov and the law makers, I'm not surprised by this. Some fat cat Company owner is giving a kickback percentage a handful of Washington cronies to make this happen.

If there is ever a revolution, I wouldn't be surprised if the citizens hang people who make these things legal, and all the upper Monsanto and Mega Bank cronies

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The propsal can be read here

This Programmatic EA evaluates alternatives for the management of scrap metal originating from DOE radiological control areas, including the proposed action to allow for the recycle of uncontaminated scrap metal that meets the requirements of DOE Order 458.1. (Metals with volumetric radioactive contamination are not included in the scope of this Programmatic EA.)

the metal comes from control areas, but it is NOT contaminated.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Still I wouldn't trust it. Plus some of the metals come from places like China and India, I don't think they really care about the levels when they give it to us.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
oh dear - i suppose its too late to point out that " background radiation level " varies considerably - with geology and solar activity being the greatest variables ?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Yeah, though they already are IMO. But can you imagine, we're all expected to live in nuclear waste, eat off it play with as infants, because ORCS and TROLLS and GREMLINS from HELL run this show. Or the lacky's which is the same thiing. I'm not going to apologize for a "judgement" for I want even them saved and healed. But its just playing semantic games to say, ORC LIKE, TROLL LIKE, GREMLIN LIKE BEHAVIOR. Walks like a duck to me.

edit to add; Think anyone will actually do something about this, and countless other things they've been neglecting so far?

edit on 7-2-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
This is essentially a harmless practice.

Background radiation varies from area to area, but your increase in dosage relative to background would be absolutely minimal.

People see radioactivity mentioned and it scares them... Plain and simple. Anybody who feels this fear should take a few higher level physics courses and really look into radioactivity and how the process works. It isn't something to be worried about. You could honestly go for a swim in the containment tank for spent nuclear fuel rods. As long as you don't dive down and try to get within a couple feet of the fuel rods, you will actually be receiving LESS than the base level of natural background radiation.

The whole topic of radioactivity is rather fascinating, and isn't something to be blindly feared.

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Whenever there is a waste product they always get a Team of Scientists to try and find a use for it to make money off it.

That's how we got "Smoke Detectors" that have a waste radioactive product in it.

If you are a big steel melter throwing some radioactive metal into the pot lowers the melting temperature and saves you a fortune on electricity/fuel to melt the steel. The radioactivity will be "watered down" enough nobody will notice it.

Boeing got free depleted uranium from the Govt. and used it as "balast" in the wings of planes. Hundreds if not thousands of planes out there with thousands of pounds of radioactive metal on them.

America spent Billions making that new mountain cave in Nevada to store alll of America's nuclear waste. They haven't put 1 piece of radioactive waste in there.

Why when they can make money putting it in things? Besides they want to thin the worlds population.

Much of the steel rebar / metal used to construct things has been found to be highly radioactive. Scrap metal yards got into radioactive metal they didn't know about and melted it down with regular steel to make things.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join