It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado Democrats want gun manufacturers held liable for crimes committed with their guns.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

No, that would neither be necessary, nor legal, since most people who have a mental imbalance are in NO danger what so ever of deciding to pick up a rifle or handgun and go and mess up the townspeople for a lark. However, it is VITAL that all those who ARE in a dangerous enough mental state to do such a thing, be monitored, and if necessary removed from society or treated effectively enough that they can be released without risk.

This is not the same thing as what you suggested, which would be draconian and massive overkill.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

No, that would neither be necessary, nor legal, since most people who have a mental imbalance are in NO danger what so ever of deciding to pick up a rifle or handgun and go and mess up the townspeople for a lark. However, it is VITAL that all those who ARE in a dangerous enough mental state to do such a thing, be monitored, and if necessary removed from society or treated effectively enough that they can be released without risk.

This is not the same thing as what you suggested, which would be draconian and massive overkill.

Again you still have to decide who is violent and who is not. The only way to do that is if the person shows violence. Our police do bakeract people when they appear to become violent and someone calls the cops. The Bakeract means they can take a person (against their will) to a facility for a 72 hour observation. Then they can be released. Any means over that would be unlawful and a Draconian invasion of privacy and civil rights. Anyone who commits a violent crime and is considered mental is incarcerated in a facility for the criminally insane. So I don't know what else you are expecting here. I doubt the UK is doing anything we aren't, except banning guns.

What other kind of treatments were you suggesting. We already use powerful drugs like Depakote, aripiprazole, clozapine and resperidone. Depakote was made for epiliepsy but they found it can be useful for other disorders. But look at the side effects

www.rxlist.com...

Any other treatments? There's the Pfeiffer Institute in Chicago which uses hair analysis to find nutritional imbalances.

How about color therapy, 528 mhz, laying on of hands?
edit on 8-2-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

If you seriously believe that the only way to tell if a person has the capacity to do harm, and is disturbed enough to be a serious threat, then you havent taken account of the ability of psychological evaluation, performed by experts, to spot these things before they happen.

The fact that the people who pose this threat (and by that I mean ONLY the ones who HAVE the capacity to commit acts of random and unreasoned violence, not those who merely have a condition but are otherwise outside that number) have not been correctly identified is a failing of the mental health services, and it is a correction of that failiure that will prevent future incidents, not taking away the tools that people use to do these things.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I am just so sick of this debate honestly, because the law obviously is on the side of the 2nd amendment, and the government has absolutely zero right to even regulate firearms, much less ban them. An "assault" weapon is a fully automatic rifle, I don't care what these suits say, and those are not legal in the US anywhere. A semi-auto rifle that simply looks like an assault rifle is not the same thing, and that is what the big issue is over, aesthetics.

A deer rifle and an assault rifle can be exactly the same thing, with the only difference being the way they look. How ridiculous is this entire scenario? And what really gets me is how many people are allowing or even supporting crap like this, despite our Constitutional rights. They are no better than the government, and wish to change things without due process. Remember that the Constitution and our entire legal system is supposed to be based on limiting power, and how can people not see that the federal government and the president have already gone too far, and are still trying to push further?

Don't you see that if they are willing to do the things they have already done, then they obviously do not have any consideration for the rule of law, since they break it repeatedly, and that because of this we need firearms now more than ever? Don't you people realize that the FF included the 2nd amendment to ensure that the people had a way to fight against their government, if ever the government attempted to gain too much power? How is that hard to understand? And if the clowns in office are willing to do what they've already done, then once we are disarmed, you just see how far they will go then. Do you actually think that these laws are going to benefit the people? They won't. People will still be getting killed, and crime will not fall one bit. The criminals will still get guns, while honest people have no way to protect themselves.

And trying to hold the manufacturer responsible is a severe lack of judgement. It is just downright stupidity. Especially considering the points I made regarding "assault" weapons earlier in this post. I didn't know there were so many sheep on ATS, who actually are buying in to the government's obviously unlawful actions. You should be ashamed if you support crap like this.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I want democrats held responsible for everything! While we're at it, let's hold republicans liable for complicity. We should not stop there, Let's just come out and call a spade a spade. We the people of the planet Earth, hold all governments in contempt of humanity! Let's head for the garden and do some weeding!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
And are we going to hold God responsible for anyone who dies because they get thrown from a horse??

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by brandiwine14
That's a little radical

Obviously the Democrats ultimate goal is to get the gun manufacturers to shut their doors and go out of business because there is no way they will be able to withstand fine after fine.

It's absurd what this nation is coming to. I thought suing Mcdonalds over a cup of coffee was bad, it's only going to get worse.

Ya know whats funny. It is currently legal everywhere in the USA to make and use your own homemade gun. www.atf.gov... If a law like this passes, tons more people will be making their own guns. This is a skill that is gaining in popularity and better homemade guns are being produced all the time.

There are a number of weapons that are not regulated at all and anyone if you can afford/obtain them, can own and use them. Such as, the fully automatic Electric MiniGun, ( In fact any fully automatic firearm made before 1989 is legal to own for civilians www.atf.gov...) Flame Thrower, Crossbows www.businessinsider.com... ,

The explosive Tannerite, and another explosive Thermite, www.cracked.com... , and more: www.ugo.com... I just listed the ones that can kill rapidly from a distance but these pages have more that are used close up.
edit on 9-2-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
This is a classic case of the Politicians knowingly pitching for something unreasonable.

If it gets any attention they'll have achieved something. If it gets any attention and it looks like it's going somewhere then they'll have some room to negotiate, tone it down and gets something close to what they really want.

It's just the way that the game is played.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by odd1out
Well they made the cigarette companies PAY and everyone applauded the LUNACY...Yes, I can see how they might try something like this and expect it to get results. It took years to take down the tobacco companies, but gun manufacturers probably could be defeated in a similar amount of time.

You mean shake down the tobacco companies.

I am sure this state would settle for a niffty little tax per weapon to make everyone happy.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Flamethrowers huh? Now that's interesting I would think that would be illegal. I'm sure in given time it will be.

When you take things away from people and try to leave them defenseless a good majority will simply cry over it for a moment then forget they had the right to defend themselves in the first place... but many others will wise up and get inventive or simply use whatever they have at hand, rocks for instance. The funny thing is with everything that can be made easily or bartered for with others tptb would probably in the end wish they just let people keep their rights to a simple gun. Instead their actions will be the the cause of the creation of some very interesting tools.

Like this one, as far as I can tell it's legal. Go to the end if you just want to see it working.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Yet our government cannot be held responsible for the deaths in the attacked consulate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join