It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Never Before Seen: Seal Kills and Chows Down on 5 Massive Sharks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
All I can say is Payback is a Bitch!

Very cool pics and apperantly a first time caught on pics for this type of thing. Is this a change in the food chain of some type because of a drop in fish stocks? I kinda think this happens more than we think. Summed up quite nicely here:

"It's a question of size. If you are smaller than me, I will eat you." The sharks are likely to have been males, which are smaller than the females at around 6ft long and just 60 to 120lbs. Mr Fallows added: 'If karma does indeed exist, the seal had better watch out if it returns during the great whites’ winter hunting season.'

Karma? I think this is Karma being served up on the sharks...

Not only 1 shark either! This big boy killed and chowed down on 5 sharks...

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... KFr1qcQN

Read more: www.digitaljournal.com...

www.ecanadanow.com... Point, South Africa – Divers captured stunning photographs of a South African seal eating a freshly killed blue shark. From what could be determined from the photographs, the seal only ate the victim’s stomach and liver. During the hour long feeding frenzy, the seal killed and ate parts of five blue sharks. Eye witness Chris Fallows, who operates his own shark diving business, photographed the carnage during a diving expedition to observe local sharks. ‘It was terrible to watch,’ said South African photographer Chris Fallows.

Here's something you don't see every day: A cuddly fur seal killing and eating five enormous, deadly sharks. The extraordinary scene was captured off the coast of South Africa by divers Chris and Monique Fallows. "In more than 2,000 expeditions working with sharks over the last 21 years, this is the only time I have ever seen a seal kill several sharks," says Chris. "I can find no record of such an event happening elsewhere." Chris snapped away in amazement as the seal snacked on the first two sharks, chowing down on their stomachs and livers, and then killed three more.

A great vid as well:

www.dailymail.co.uk... eeds-newsxml

Peace

edit on 7-2-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

A cuddly fur seal killing and eating five enormous, deadly sharks.

Yah, that shark is huge.

People are so full of sh..!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by silverking

A cuddly fur seal killing and eating five enormous, deadly sharks.

Yah, that shark is huge.

People are so full of sh..!

Maybe not to us but I'm betting that a 6ft shark is something of a concern to a seal...

Peace

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this thread, I see sharks as a necessity and I see seals the same way.
But mind you I believe that seals eat way more fish stocks than sharks do.
Either way fascinating stuff.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The Great Whites will take their fair share of seals come their feeding season.

As nice as it is to ponder the karmic relationship this really is down to size and size only....except the Cookie-cutter shark.....Now that's one scary shark.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by jude11

As nice as it is to ponder the karmic relationship this really is down to size and size only....except the Cookie-cutter shark.....Now that's one scary shark.

Agreed.

Who said size doesn't matter?

Food is food if you can get it.

Thanks for the vid.

Peace

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
Thanks for posting this thread, I see sharks as a necessity and I see seals the same way.
But mind you I believe that seals eat way more fish stocks than sharks do.
Either way fascinating stuff.

Regards, Iwinder

Yeah, you may be right on the fish stocks angle. Seals probably eat more than a shark does. Which begs the question as to why this guy decided to eat something 6ft long with teeth instead of a less dangerous dinner.

Peace

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
guess its a case of the early seal gets the shark so to speak(eat them before they are big enough to eat you)

i was kind of surprised to find in the OP's link that the seal usually didn't eat all of the shark just its stomach contents and liver so this seems more like removing competition then looking for a meal so to speak,also did not know that seals got up to 700 pounds so i learned something today

He suspects the seal only ate the stomach because it would have contained fish or squid, which form seal’s preferred diet, and the liver would have been a good source of energy. 'I guess it just ate the parts that gave it the most use,' he said. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... KG4rkYny Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

star and flag op.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by jude11

Thanks for the video and yes that is one scary shark, I wonder if it is related to the Piranha...I doubt it but it sure hunts the same way.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas
guess its a case of the early seal gets the shark so to speak(eat them before they are big enough to eat you)

i was kind of surprised to find in the OP's link that the seal usually didn't eat all of the shark just its stomach contents and liver so this seems more like removing competition then looking for a meal so to speak,also did not know that seals got up to 700 pounds so i learned something today

He suspects the seal only ate the stomach because it would have contained fish or squid, which form seal’s preferred diet, and the liver would have been a good source of energy. 'I guess it just ate the parts that gave it the most use,' he said. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... KG4rkYny Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

star and flag op.

I knew seals got that big but never thought that a shark of 6ft long could be dinner for a seal. That's a lot of teeth and a very deadly animal. And 5 of them to boot.

I could see baby sharks of a foot or so long but 6 ft and 5 of them? That's one kung-fu seal...

Peace

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Which begs the question as to why this guy decided to eat something 6ft long with teeth instead of a less dangerous dinner.

Perhaps this is a telling sign that fish stocks are not what they should be in the seal's feeding area(s).

Something else I pondered when I saw this story. Sharks, have not evolved (for the most part) for millions of years if memory serves. Perhaps this is evolution at work, seals merely evolving, survival of the fittest. Up until now (so to speak) sharks have not had much to worry about. Maybe the tides (no pun intended) are turning.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
reply to post by jude11

Which begs the question as to why this guy decided to eat something 6ft long with teeth instead of a less dangerous dinner.

Perhaps this is a telling sign that fish stocks are not what they should be in the seal's feeding area(s).

Something else I pondered when I saw this story. Sharks, have not evolved (for the most part) for millions of years if memory serves. Perhaps this is evolution at work, seals merely evolving, survival of the fittest. Up until now (so to speak) sharks have not had much to worry about. Maybe the tides (no pun intended) are turning.

Very good theory. May be a bit of truth here.

Then again, maybe there's something we're not seeing here?

Baby seals being protected by a parent? Maybe that was the issue here. And then after killing the attackers, take the bellies, etc. for the baby seals to eat.

Maybe...

Peace

top topics

join