It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mossmorran refinery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Mossmorran refinery

en.wikipedia.org

Heard a MASSIVE bang, looked outside, looks like it has blown up
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.exxonmobil.co.uk
www.exxonmobil.co.uk

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I don't have a link as this happened like 120 seconds ago, I don't even have a picture, I will do in a second, I will add it when my son sends me the picture.

There is smoke for miles around. At first we thought it was a plane crash, or a rocket, I can see this every night, and I have never seen it like this

It looks like it blew up!

Photo coming

en.wikipedia.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
A flag as soon as I see an actual news link or a pic.

Sounds exciting.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Just a pic of the refinery flaring... looking for reports now....

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

No much about it available yet...but I did find this picture that was uploaded moments ago.

www.rightnow.io...

A flickering sunset? Nope - view of Mossmorran flaring from rear of my house in Burntisland. Also plumes of smoke

Found another one:

twitpic.com...

the effect of mossmorran flaring from 30 miles away

edit on 7-2-2013 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Nothing about an explosion on a google search so far.

Did the explosion just happen?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

These don't do it justice. Pictures taken by my son who is a bit away from my house.
I live 40 miles away? It is usually just wee tiny flame. You can see the smoke.
I went back out and it looks worse.

Anyone near?
edit on 7/2/2013 by shauny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

10 mins ago, a big bang, like an echo, we JUST over the water, what you see is a few houses and trees from where my son is. Others are talking about it now on Twitter and Facebook. Hope we are wrong.

edit on 7/2/2013 by shauny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Nothing on Sky News or BBC News at 9pm.....maybe later?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1

No idea? All over Facebook and Twitter. 2 others posted pics, one is really smokey.
I never in my 38 years seen it this bright.

Anyone up there who can report? or show more pictures?
It must have been something if we heard the bang

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Still not showing up on any breaking new sites.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by shauny

Originally posted by scotsdavy1

No idea? All over Facebook and Twitter. 2 others posted pics, one is really smokey.
I never in my 38 years seen it this bright.

Anyone up there who can report? or show more pictures?
It must have been something if we heard the bang

You sure it's not just the refinery lighting up the clouds as its dark like it usually does?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

This is obviously very worrying news, and obviously we have to hope that whatever situation is ongoing at the location mentioned, that it is dealt with speedily and comprehensively. If there has been a blow up, I hope no one has been injured or worse, killed.

I would not have thought, that if there has been a significant event, that there will be all that much longer before some mainstream news comes out about it. In the meantime, if you have any contacts in the area, might I suggest that you contact them, and recomend that they remain indoors with thier windows and doors shut down tight?

Also, if there is anyone round about there who has access to a long lens, or at least a decent digital camera, to get as much as they can, and get it to you. This is going to be breaking news if it is indeed anything significant. I certainly cannot imagine how it could be anything less than catastrophic if the boom hit you from a distance.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

It would be the first time ever.
If there was no loud bang I probably wouldn't have posted.

Everyone I am speaking to on Facebook is saying "What has happened over in fife" I am North West Edinburgh.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Interesting news article I came across trying to find our more on this current incident

WEST FIFE communities living around Mossmorran and Braefoot Bay have been told that emissions from both plants are "well within" the set limits.

Link

I would have to look into it more to know exactly what limits they are referring to, but perhaps something built up and exploded.

This article is dated 15 days ago.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Just to add some more background, I found a similar tale from 2011

fallingsky.blogs.com...

Apparently local residents had been frightened about the noise coming from the plant... and they had to shut it down for a while because of errant valves venting steam (explosively?) which caused local politicians to raise complaints.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I am, as well, watching every new source - awaiting some sort of clarification. I don't live near a refinery. But I do live near a really large landfill that, on occasion, has rather loud methane explosions that aren't dangerous. Is that a possibility here?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by shauny
reply to post by scotsdavy1

It would be the first time ever.
If there was no loud bang I probably wouldn't have posted.

Everyone I am speaking to on Facebook is saying "What has happened over in fife" I am North West Edinburgh.

I'm in Ayrshire so obviously I wouldn't see or here anything but have been scouring all the news channels etc and cany find anything about it as yet....

If you look here you will see how it lights up the night sky when you look over to it

edit on 7-2-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Found another article from January 12/2013

CAMPAIGNERS CALLING for 
permanent air quality monitoring stations in towns surrounding a Fife chemical plant have released early results of a local 
consultation.

The survey set up by volunteers who run community website Loch of Shining Waters asks residents who live near the Mossmorran plant if they are concerned about their health and safety.

More than 100 people have completed an online questionnaire about the site. Almost half are Lochgelly and Cowdenbeath 
residents, while the remaining respondents live in nearby villages.

More than 75% say they have fears 
about health and environmental impacts, while 60% are worried about safety at the plant.

Three quarters of respondents report noise and light pollution, while almost 
half say they have felt vibrations in their homes.

LINK

This plant was opened decades ago, though news reports revolving around these plants have been sparse up until only a month or two ago.

It seems the people around the area have had a growing concern for awhile. It appears they're fears were justified.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I blame the aliens...It's all their fault.

Seriously though IF this turns out to be true then that's just crazy. Hopefully no one got hurt or killed. With a explosion that large it might be pretty bad.

-SAP-
edit on 7-2-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join