Frogcicle

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
VIDEO: Watch as the astounding wood frog uses cellular cryopreservation tricks to freeze, thaw, and live to croak about it.

A small brown frog squats motionless in a den of green moss. It inhales no breath, has no heartbeat, yet it is not dead. Rock hard and icy to the touch, this speckled North American wood frog is frozen alive at –2?°C, and has been so for the last 24 hours.

Then Jon Costanzo adjusts the temperature of the terrarium, and the air around the frog begins to warm. Within 30 minutes, the amphibian’s skin noticeably softens, taking on its characteristic sheen. Three hours later, one eye blinks. Then the lungs shudder to life, and the frog’s sides heave. Six hours from the start of warming, one leg twitches, then the other. Finally, as the timer chimes 10 hours, the frog hops once, twice, and burrows out of sight into the moss.

“I’ve been doing this for 25 years now, and still, whenever we freeze the frogs and watch them recover, it seems magical,” says Costanzo, a cryobiologist at Miami University in Ohio. But though it may look like hocus pocus, the frog’s dramatic transformation is cold, hard fact.

I've heard stories about Native American Elders who can do this but I've never seen it. Still, life is just amazing, wherever and however we find it.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I found a dried up frog when I was a kid and my Grandad put it in saucer of water and hey presto 10 mins later a live frog.
I wonder If we can genetically modify Humans in the same way for long distance space travel.
edit on 7-2-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

If it exists in the natural world then I believe there is a way we can re-create it. Just a matter of figuring out the process.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

So is this the same type of process used by frogs that have supposedly been found in rocks?
It is amazing what nature can do.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Thanks this is interesting.

You can also freeze flies as well. Makes a good trick. Freeze a fly and then put it on a window sill. Fly looks dead. Get someone to come and have a look as you pick up the "dead" fly and by the warmth of your hand, the fly heats up, and comes back "alive" and flies off. The person watching thinks you have just brought a fly back to life.

join