It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You Pay For Part Of A Car?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I did several searches, but didn't find this, so delete if necessary.

I've been seeing these commercial from Dodge lately. Dodge Dart Registry.
WTH?
dodgedartregistry.com...
So, you go to the web site, design your "dream" car, ask people to basically buy parts of it for you, like a wedding registry I guess. Then when it is paid in full, you can go pick up your car.

I'm sorry, but I can't wrap my head around this. I can't even imagine getting a notice from someone asking me to buy a radiator, tires, whatever. It just seems a bit extravagant to me. I couldn't ask people to do it.
Either I'm just too old, to poor or something.
Maybe the concept is just to "new" to me?
What do you think?
edit on 7-2-2013 by chiefsmom because: Hit wrong button.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
yes i would..
i need a egr valve for my ford st200..

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Depends on what part I need to fix my car.

Some cars have sentimental value.
edit on 7-2-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Sorry, hit the darn button before I typed anything!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
LOL, no I wouldn't buy a part for a car that isn't mine. I think wedding registries are dumb too. If you don't have a vacuum, you're not ready for marriage.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Are we talking about buying every part on the car from scratch or just optional extras on an already bought new car?
If is buying everything from scratch how many idiots would pay the money for some of it and never complete it?Sounds like a good scam for the car maker,money for nothing.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

I got an expensive bottle of wine as my wedding gift. I never thought to ask for an engine. My mistake I guess.

Nothing says "welcome to the wonderful world of marriage" like a brand new radiator belt.

WTF dodge? WTF anyone who actually registers there.

Then again, I'd be more inclined to actually pay for part of your car if you did that compared to the "My mommy said she'll by me a dragon if i get 500000 likes on facebook" approach

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Sounds a little strange to me... wouldn't it just be better for people to ask for money, and then buy a car in one go?

That said... I'd love to build a car from one of those "build your own car" kits... as long as it comes with instructions!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

I've been looking at some of the registries. Yeah, your buying the anything from the speedometer to nuts and bolts.
I do wonder what happens if you don't get all the money raised. Maybe you have to pay for the rest yourself?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by aspiechick
Sounds a little strange to me... wouldn't it just be better for people to ask for money, and then buy a car in one go?

That said... I'd love to build a car from one of those "build your own car" kits... as long as it comes with instructions!

Can I have some money for my lambo?

A couple of hundred thousand would be a good start

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
Can I have some money for my lambo?

A couple of hundred thousand would be a good start

No problem. Do you take bouncing cheques?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

A clever money making scheme for Rocket Hub. They do nothing except bank the money and charge the registrant extra fees while they collect from investment capital. Note what it says on their site,

Whether or not your goal is reached, a 5% crowd-funding commission fee and a 4% payment processing fee will be subtracted from your total amount raised. These fees go to RocketHub to cover the costs of running the site. These fees will be applied upon withdrawing the funds from your account.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Wow. Nice fee's for them. Plus, wouldn't they also be banking some interest on this money while they are holding it?

Well, if anyone sends me a requested, they will be disappointed I'm afraid.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

That's exactly what I meant, yes. I'm wondering too why Dodge went along with the scheme. I guess they think people are too dumb to notice?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I wouldn't buy part of a car, but check this out: When one of my cousin's boys got married instead of having a bachelor party he had a "groom shower" while his wife was having her "bridal shower". Instead of registering someplace they each sent a copy of their "wish list" inside of the invitations. While I was at the bridal shower drinking rum punch and presenting the bride with her new set of stock pots my husband was at the groom shower drinking beer and presenting the groom with a weedeater. I never heard of such a thing, and sending a "wish list" instead of registering gave folks the opportunity to shop for the best deal. I hope the idea catches on!

top topics

join