It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choosing animals over people.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Originally posted by HelenConway

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's "evil".

I will disagree with the above statement, respectfully.

So, if you don't understand something, it's evil?

You are aware that animals eat animals, right? My dogs will hunt and kill AND eat a bunny rabbit without a second thought. They chase it and brutally slay it, eating it before it's even dead. And it's not because they're hungry. They get plenty to eat. You think my dogs are "evil"? Because they would eat horse and dolphin, too, I guarantee it.

I was thinking about this thread at the gym today and it occurs to me that the way I feel about people is that I am in love with their POTENTIAL. Sometimes I see or hear about people fulfilling their potential and I absolutely LOVE them. But sadly, I think most people are living far below their potential, myself included. If we're not striving to be the best we can be, then we're not very attractive or loveable.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by lupodigubbio

I think empathetic people empathize more with those they feel can empathize back or appear unaggressive to the subject. Technology has made fragile man into sadistically dominant beings over animals. I think its also easier to empathize with something that doesn't show or can be dominant over us. That is why the balance of empathy between all beings is needed. For now we still have our fanatics, a corporate image causing more issues.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Sorry going with animal in most cases. People in 99% of the cases are in the place they are because they made poor decisions in life. Homeless person isn't just some random nice guy usually there is a story behind it. Alcohol, drugs, gambling, you name it.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I myself think the inner preference is cold...and irrational, because humans are animals too and we happen to be the same species on top of that.
I cringe at both slasher movies and scenes where animals are harmed. Living things are living things.
I hope I wouldn't be considered cold-hearted for not preferring animals over humans. 6_6

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I don't think it's "right" or "wrong" to value human life over animal life or vice versa. If there are enough of both kinds of thinking then it would seem everybody's covered. I don't see why the two states of mind should be mutually exclusive. The burning building scenario is not the best example in my opinion, but using that as a measure, I'd save the human over the cat if I could only save one. But I'd feel bad for the cat. We can value both without either being invalidated.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Animals do no wrong. People are a sad disappointment. It is not a matter of value (of course a human life surpasses an animal in worth - in a way) but it is a matter of appreciation. I also like animals better than most human beings I have met. I had a raccoon walk right up to me and sniff around my shoes on my porch late last night...another story.

Animals and how they arrived here are as much a mystery as we ourselves are. One might argue they have a right to be here the same as us. Others see them as toys for sport.

I do not like when people like Rep Steven King out of Iowa say to leave the animal cruelty laws as they are...for example in his state it is illegal to bring your child to a dog, cock or any other kind of animal staged fighting event. WTF? That these fights can go on at all is criminal in my eyes. He will not stop overt animal cruelty because he rationalizes human beings here and in foreign countries are abused every day and we should fight for human rights BEFORE we bother doing anything about animal cruelty. Sounds good on the surface until you realize he is only protecting his friends and benefactors who cruelly abuse livestock in the cattle, pig and chicken industries.

Right now we have heroic loving rescue dogs and lifesaving animals getting picked up or stolen then abused and tortured by sick humans and medical labs all the time. The dog may have saved MANY human lives and the sick humans may have ended many human lives without getting caught, but who do our laws protect? The sick and twisted human before the loving, loyal lifesaving dog. Thanks to people like Steve King and others who just don't get it...we live in world with an ugly underside.

I think expressing our violent nature on animals feeds those violent natures and tendencies and if we were required by law to treat animals humanely we would appreciate the rights of people and each other that much more. It is the concept of SETTING AN EXAMPLE. Are we a cruel people or a kind one? Can we even answer for the group of humans that are here? I would say we are mostly kind with a vein of horrendous and psychopathic running unchecked through us - an evil we cannot seem to extract.

If we were more respectful of the animals in our midst, if we showed compassion, wisdom and mercy, it would spread to the treatment of each other. If it is a crime to kick a dog, then you will never slap your child. What effect do we suppose it has on children to see the critters they love in cartoons and stuffed animals being murdered? What does that do to their psyche? It hardens and toughens them up, they lose a little of the natural compassion they were born with. They HAVE to, in order to digest the horror. This is turn creates a MORE CALLOUS CRUEL WORLD. It is a CYCLICAL dilemma that we have been approaching all wrong.

Trying to get people to treat or value "nameless, faceless, other humans" over our pets is a waste of time because love for a pet is that great. Pets enrich our lives. It is an isolationist attitude, admittedly but I don't know those people but I know this dog. Though those people are OF COURSE worth more in the great scheme of things, still I know this dog is the world to me. Being a Liberal, I am fighting for "those people" and their rights feverishly anyway. I already do what I can for them.

Lets show some respect and kindness toward animals SO it will be that much more abhorrent NOT to show that same acceptance and kindness toward our fellow humans.

Face it - We have tried it the other way, your way. It's not working.

By the time we discover the error of our ways the animals will be gone.

edit on 8-2-2013 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I used to work for a person who loved dogs more than people and she was an evil bitch, her views on everything was just evil and wrong, she had no social skills and had a god complex and she ran a pub!!!.
Thats why I hate dogs now because of her, she used to kiss and slober over any dog that came in the pub and then serve beer (without washing her hands) and she barred anyone who had a good time.
Local pub is for local people right? well no one local now goes in apart from dog owners because they know their dog can # and piss in that pub and she is ok with that.
Thank fick I walked out.
Pick people everytime.

Well, geez...Don't blame the dog. It's not his fault! She doesn't sound very responsible but alot of dog owners are.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I prefer animals to people, also. I can't help it. I worked in retail for many years and have encountered some disgusting things people do to get what they want. Theft, angry customers, etc...When I come home it's wonderful to have my cats waiting for me at the door.

I left the retail industry to work with animals and my stress level is practically zero!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
the way we treat animals today with our counsiousnes. is far worse than any animal would treat another animal.
we have a choice to do good, don't kill and have respect for all that lives.animals don't.
if a person does not respect all living things on this planet (and most of them dont) i would save the animal any time.
they are a better contribution to the world in my opinion. most of mankind has become a parasite to this world.
sad to say.
sorry for my english. hope you understand
love to you all

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
In a truly inspiring, loving, intelligent, empowering giving world, of clean technology and complete equality, no one without or forced, but respected and loved, and all things done with beauty for all inhabitants and respect for animals, we would be kind to all creatures great and small and use technologies that have been buried to clone flesh without consciousness, and have very kind farming practices, free range for example. But also, the kindness and friendships that would develop between species would enhance the progression of our little brothers and sisters (some are not little lights but merely in different forms), for everything is progressing, and it can do so in a Family, with love around and positivity, or in a dog eat dog hellzone mentality. We're affecting the whole in a sense. And the teaching goes both ways, for nature may have so much more struggles and ruthlessness, but also to see the love and feelings demonstrated in such conditions should be inspiring to us, but we walk by.
edit on 8-2-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I can definitely feel you.
It does not mean that you would ignore a child trapped in ice, or a man hanging off a balcony ledge. It just means that you are probably an animal empath.
I am the same way, in a lot of ways. Outside of my immediate human family (and believe me, I would do anything for them!), I really just get along better with animals. Specifically, cats.
I have met animals that come from abusive backgrounds..animals that have gone through hideous abuse, and they are still somehow forgiving and accepting, sometimes even more so then animals with normal backgrounds. It is almost as though they understand completely what happened, and are forever grateful that someone stepped in to save their life.
My daughter just lost her 12-year-old kitty to illness early Monday morning. It was an awful thing for our family, and I still feel stunned by it. This kitty was a rescue..she and her siblings had been boxed with their mother and tossed into a dumpster. By a miracle, a person tossing trash heard the faint meowing inside and pulled them out. We adopted our "Kida" from a group that rescued abused and abandoned animals. Through her 12 years, she was forever grateful, and very integrated into our family. I will forever remember the complete look of love and adoration she would show my daughter throughout the years..just complete innocent and selfless love.
People that do not and have not had animals will never understand this feeling. I do not view animals as "just animals"..I view them as non-human people. They have emotions: happiness, sadness, confusion, excitement, depression, wonderment, and above all, LOVE. Many humans will try to tell you "They snuggle with you because it's warm" or "they follow you because they only want food"..how sad to assume that animals are driven only by survival instincts and nothing else. Any loving pet owner will tell you that is complete and utter BS.

In her last days, Kida followed my daughter around as best she could. She wanted nothing more than to be by her side. In her last effort to be with her as she passed on, she tried to jump up on to my daughter's bed to pass away..the loving place she had spent all her years napping happily, snuggled up to her favorite human in the world. Sadly, she was found dead, minutes later, still clutching the comforter. I am glad that I did not witness her final seconds, but on the other hand, I will go to my grave regretting I was not right beside her when she passed.
It chokes me up to write this now.
I hope she is at peace wherever her spirit and soul is now, and that she lets us know she is okay. I miss her terribly. Just as all of the other animals that have come and gone through my life my 35 years on this earth. All of the time I have spent with them was too short a time, and I hope that when I go into the next world, they are waiting for me.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
i totally agree.

animals are amazing. i love all animals but do have a soft spot for dogs. i love my dogs more than anything! i would definitely pick dogs over humans, no contest. i have three dogs, they are all rescue dogs, the last one Lexxie, i got from the rescue centre. she was kept in a tiny box kennel with no access to the outside, i even had to stand on tiptoes to look in to see her and then and all i saw was too big eyes looking up at me, i fell in love straight away. she is my best friend and i know i was meant to rescue her. she always knows when i am upset and looks after me, and she really is the best thing i have ever done. i hope to adopt many more dogs and other animals from rescue centres in the future and give them the life they deserve.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I love animals more than humans.

humans have lost some thing that animals have.
humans dont show unconditional love like animals.

humans exspect you to be bound to them.
love them and no one else. jealousy.
thats what destroys most relationship.

Love and Sex is Not the same thing.
But why Not give sex freely?
people have to do it in secret.

some one who likes a lot of sex is Bad! why!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
My misanthropy aside, I would much rather be chillin with my exotic pets than spending time with people.
Of course this excludes any lady type friends of course.

Creating a bond or understanding with an animal can be very rewarding. Learning their behavior language/ body language while they learn yours can be very tricky and time consuming but worth it in the long run. especially with exotic pets that don't have the Mammalian part of the brain.

Keep saving and caring for neglected animals. If i had the time or money I would as well. My Australian frilled dragon was a rescue and he has turned out to be such a delightful pet that really turns heads.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Once you've shown an animal love, it will always love you back. Unlike their human counterparts who will find obscure reasons to quit loving you, an animal (namely dogs and cats in my experience) will always return your affection. I have learned from the stray cats I feed that if I show them attention, they become lovey. I have actually used this lesson on people I deal with at work and find that is what everybody craves...a little attention makes them feel special and they become less difficult to deal with. However, they will revert back to their normal behavior once the attention stops. An animal seems to remember that attention and return it everytime you see them.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
humans have ulterior motives, animals don't.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The more humans I meet, the more I love my cat.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I'm with ya OP. Your a really great person for doing what you are. If you need any donations, please send me a mail. Yes, our human friends are a bit more complex. Animals are so much more loyal. Never have too worry about them leaving me in huff because I did something to offend them. Total unconditional love.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I'm def more of an animal person. loved animals and had many different types of pets through my life. There's no such thing as a stupid animal! Cats are my favorite tho. I love my cat to pieces. He's my best friend. He makes me laugh and smile everyday. I have no problem staying in and hanging out with my cat. When I do get extra money I'll donate to an animal charity. We have plenty of organizations to help other people but not nearly enough for animals. I think animal lovers play an important role on this earth.

this does not mean I don't like people. I'm friendly and out going and have many friends. I help people toi.e...I just like animals better!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I'm with you on this,my animals mean much more to me than most humans the main reasons being that they give unconditional love and no animal would ever treat a human as despicably as some humans treat animals.
You and others like you who devote your time to caring for distressed animals are the true saints on this planet.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join