It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choosing animals over people.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
For some reason, some people have more empathy towards animals than towards other human beings. Some people would rather spend time with their pets than with their own human family. Some people would even spend most of their income, winnings, inheritance etc in animal-related causes rather than human causes.

I am one of those people and I would like to explore this topic with y'all.

(Please let's not immediately assume we are all holier-than-thou aggressive 100% raw vegans, raised by wolves or even animal hoarders. Yes, those conditions apply to some, but I assure you, this is not the case.)

I am an animal sanctuary owner who specializes in severely abused pets with limited potential for adoption. Those pets too disfigured, ill, violent and handicapped to be considered for a normal human family. I care for accident, burn, torture, rape victims. Obviously, I have a soft spot for animals, especially dogs.

Basically the deal is this, I have received a considerable amount beef (both from society and family) for spending so much time, effort, finances and energy in creating the shelter for animals instead of working on human facilities for any of the several issues in my 3rd world home.

The honest answer is: I don't care that much about humans. I care more about animals. It sounds cold, it sounds unnatural but it's the truth. There is just something that we humans have lost and animals still have that I wish we still had. Innocence maybe? Or perhaps it is all the human brutality that I have seen inflicted to the shelter, farm and wild animals?

This, of course, doesn't mean I hate human beings or I won't help out from time to time, but If I had to choose between helping a person or an animal in need I would probably find myself at a very difficult ethical crossroad. Based on past experiences, I would go with my gut and probably choose the animal.

Anybody feel this way?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I do. I genuinely would prefer the company of a dog than to a human. But I am not suggesting that dogs are inherently better than people. That would be short-sighted and narrow. I just genuinely prefer their company, because I am natural introvert and animals (particularly dogs) have a way of expressing themselves in a non-verbal way, which I am more comfortable with. Humans are naturally social animals that (for the most part) have a desire to communicate verbally quite a lot of the time. I lack this desire, so a dog sort of suites my comfort zone. So to answer your question: yes.

-TheGhoster
edit on 7-2-2013 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Always choose the person.

If anything it is the animal aspect of mankind that is the root of all evils.

Get between an animal and what it wants it will kill you to get it.

I say this as an animal lover too. I currently have 5 cats and 4 fish tanks. would have a dog if I could too.
But animals are cruel things. they will always pick on or kill the weakest link.

Getting people to value animal life above human life is part of the agenda. Don't fall for it.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by lupodigubbio

The honest answer is: I don't care that much about humans. I care more about animals. It sounds cold, it sounds unnatural but it's the truth. There is just something that we humans have lost and animals still have that I wish we still had. Innocence maybe? Or perhaps it is all the human brutality that I have seen inflicted to the shelter, farm and wild animals?

This, of course, doesn't mean I hate human beings or I won't help out from time to time, but If I had to choose between helping a person or an animal in need I would probably find myself at a very difficult ethical crossroad. Based on past experiences, I would go with my gut and probably choose the animal.

Anybody feel this way?

Yep

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by PassiveObserver
Always choose the person.

If anything it is the animal aspect of mankind that is the root of all evils.

Get between an animal and what it wants it will kill you to get it.

I say this as an animal lover too. I currently have 5 cats and 4 fish tanks. would have a dog if I could too.
But animals are cruel things. they will always pick on or kill the weakest link.

Getting people to value animal life above human life is part of the agenda. Don't fall for it.

I agree, the animal aspect of mankind is in fact the impure side. Still, I think humans represent the worst of the animal kingdom and the worst of the spiritual world. Animals just don't know better, it is impossible for them to be cruel or evil, for they don't know what it is. What you call cruelty is truly not. It is the mechanism of physical survival. It is ingrained in the laws of the natural world. Humans on the other hand...

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I used to work for a person who loved dogs more than people and she was an evil bitch, her views on everything was just evil and wrong, she had no social skills and had a god complex and she ran a pub!!!.
Thats why I hate dogs now because of her, she used to kiss and slober over any dog that came in the pub and then serve beer (without washing her hands) and she barred anyone who had a good time.
Local pub is for local people right? well no one local now goes in apart from dog owners because they know their dog can # and piss in that pub and she is ok with that.
Thank fick I walked out.
Pick people everytime.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I hear ya.

But if I came across a burning building, and could save a life, but just one life, and the choice was a puppy or you I would always choose you. I don't have to know anything about you.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I just wanted to post to say good for you, for taking in these animals that need the extra care.
I would think that some, not all people would understand that these types of animals would need the extra time and care you give them, that may not leave time for anything else.
Regardless of your actual choice of companionship, you seem to have dedicated yourself to a wonderful cause and should take pride in that.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I am a misanthrope to the core. Honestly, I can't stand being around most people. If you've ever seen There Will Be Blood, I could be Daniel Plainview minus the desire for wealth, haha.

The world needs people like you just as much as it needs those that care more for people.

Animal cruelty is a cowardly offense. I say this as an avid meat eater as well. In my opinion there is a world of difference between torturing animals and killing them them for food.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
If I saw any animal suffering I would shoot it on the spot. Happens quite often out on my ranch actually.

I would never try to save its life or rehabilitate it. Its just an animal.

We had a huge feral cat problem so a few of us spent a couple nights rounding them up, shooting them, and feeding them to the coyotes.

They are just as bad but at least they try to hide from you.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I think that animals are more genuine than people so there is definitely an appeal there in that. Also, they are frankly simpler to manipulate and control than most humans, which is another draw, and even further they are usually not able to manipulate or control us in order to achieve some complex, possibly pathological social agenda (which humans are prone to doing to each other). If they do try to manipulate us it is for very basic reasons--food,shelter etc. or just plain ol' comfort. I prefer animals to people most of the time myself for those reasons.

However, in my experience many people who "put animals first" are unaware of the less noble motivations that they have for preferring animals, and many harbor self doubt and even self-loathing that stems from their inability to socialize well with other human beings; so instead of addressing that inability within themselves they project all that is good upon the not-human and all that is evil upon other humans. Hence, the self-righteous misanthropy that is prevalent in many of us who would rather hang out with our dog. For me, even though I like the company of the fluffy kind better, if it comes down to it, most humans will come first on the priority list.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I prefer the company of animals. Not only that, I aspire to be more like my dogs. They live in the moment, they work hard and play hard, they eat when they are hungry and sleep when they're tired, they don't lie and they love without a second thought or reservation. Yeah, I prefer dogs to people.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I used to work for a person who loved dogs more than people...
snip!
...Pick people everytime.

Maybe it's dog people?

Most cat people wouldn't be like that I'm sure. (except the mad cat hoarder types who have 50 live and a few dead ones)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Don't apologize for how you feel and what you do. You have a lot of company.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Lupo that was so lovely to read. I relate to so much of what you said in the OP. I love visiting my Mum but I love it when her greyhound sees me, he really looks happy and cuddles up to me. I love him.

I have a cat also and I think she is more my owner then the other way round.

I love horses and elephants, all animals.

I think it is their love and honesty and innocence,

People can be so difficult sometimes, including me!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Humans ARE animals.

I simply generally enjoy the presence of non-human animals over human animals. There are many reasons I guess, one of which animals are not fake, like 99+% of humans. They are who they are, and dont try to construct some kind of false persona for you to buy into and believe is them, while hiding their true essence as hard as they can.

edit on 2/7/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

This is an interesting topic and one I think most people have probably considered at some point - how can you not with all of the animal abuse commercials we're constantly exposed to... They tug at our heart-strings (perhaps appropriately so) for a reason.

I myself have a simple theory on this. Animals are innocent creatures that are incapable of defending themselves against so called "higher" life forms or providing for their own/communicating their needs to their human companions. In this regard, they are the "innocents" within in the ecological hierarchy whereas humans are the protectors; hence the willingness of many to have more sympathy for an animal as opposed to empathy for a fellow human being.

That said, I think we can also say that global humanity does not always turn a blind eye to our human brethren during times of great need. Whereas I would be more inclined to make a donation to an animal shelter under everyday circumstances, I am just as prone to make a donation when something cataclysmic occurs that has affected some portion of society (i.e. tsunami or hurrican relief, etc.).

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I knew there was a reason to like you in spite of our many differing views.
Everything you said about dogs is completely true. I love my wife & family (all dogs).
All seventeen of them - you wanna puppy??
Only 3 more weeks until they're weaned.

ganjoa

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spookycolt
If I saw any animal suffering I would shoot it on the spot. Happens quite often out on my ranch actually.

I would never try to save its life or rehabilitate it. Its just an animal.

We had a huge feral cat problem so a few of us spent a couple nights rounding them up, shooting them, and feeding them to the coyotes.

They are just as bad but at least they try to hide from you.

In my opinion, if this is your attitude towards animals, this should be your attitude towards people. We're not special or separate from them. Every species looks after its own species and every other species is fair game. You are fair game to other species as other species are to you. So there's nothing wrong with killing humans because bears do it just as there's nothing wrong with killing cows because humans do it.

Some will say, "No its okay to kill cows but not humans" but the cow might say, "it's okay to kill humans, but not cows". Whos rightt? It can only be egotistical to say that you are right and they are wrong.

So, I'm not against killing humans. But I am against killing anything for no reason. And if you're going to kill a cat because it keeps getting into your trash bags and spreading trash all over your yard, then unegotistically, you should treat a human with the same respect. But honestly, I think you should just be more tolerant and merciful.

Honestly, it is weak to only be tough against smaller opponents.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
And the meek shall inherit the Earth. As it should be.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join