It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm very scared of going to hell, but I don't believe in hell

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0

Originally posted by sacgamer25
reply to post by 0thetrooth0

If your truly afraid of hell than you have seen it. God does understand, this you can be 100% sure of. He is simply waiting for you.

The choice is always yours. Continue to live in the fear/hell that you have created for yourself or pursue something bigger than you. God loves you either way, as long as you do the best you can with the understanding you have.

To truly understand fear/hell you must pursue God.

Please read this next statement correctly, because I am not condemning you.

If you fail to pursue him, you condemn yourself to live in fear/hell. This is your choice, you can live they way you are or you can pursue something higher. God loves you either way, he would prefer you seek him, only so that you may obtain the wisdom you are currently seeking.

I have in the past when i was a Catholic I truly searched for him but to no avail. I even wanted to be a monk and so at that point God should have made them accept me and I would be a Catholic monk and rarely do sins and live happily ever after but nooo. Seek and ye shall find, thats not true. ive searched enough so now i have to see god or something heavenly/angelic and hell then were talking.

That is quite amazing, something I would not have expected you to say.

You only made one mistake. You assumed the answer you received indicated that it wasn't real. Have you ever considered the Catholic Doctrine? You see for a lot people hearing that if you believe something as simple as Jesus is the son of God, you go to heaven, they accept this. Even though they have to condemn non believers to hell.

Remember Jesus says there is only one God, and therefore we are all his children. The bible says God is in all of us. Jesus tells his disciples that they should not be sad because he is returning to the father. So he is also in all of us. Since we all have one father we should see each other like brothers and sisters.

Have you really considered what Catholic and all Christian religions teach? How can anyone who condemns anyone to hell be teaching the message of Grace and love that Christ was teaching? Do you really think they are following the truth? They don't even teach people to do what Jesus says. Jesus says turn the other cheek but they still believe in war and killing as a way to push forward their agenda.

Is it possible that because you earnestly pursued God that he kept you from being indoctrinated into religion? I can give you the answer but it won't make since unless it comes from God. I believe you can find God in the bible but you cannot find him in any religion.

Only God can interpret scripture for you, for someone else I may be of more help. But you need to see/feel it for yourself. If you still want to look pray for interpretation and read the book that I found him to be a part of.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

reply to post by sacgamer25

Ive searched for God he has not responded so right now Im an atheist.

Where and how did you look for him?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by honested3

your soul knows there is life after death, that our lives here are not the beginning and end. yet our society tells you that your stupid to believe in something you cannot see or hear or prove. the Bible says conviction is the Holy Spirit working in you, maybe that "fear" is not fear at all, but the Lord knocking on the door of your heart. so what i am going to tell you is this; dont listen to what anybody on here is telling you, but listen to what your hearts telling you, moreso who is knocking on your heart because that is the Lord. No its not the organized religion version of God, but give up any preconceived notions of God, and let Him start a relationship just between the two of you. This fear is a good thing, and if you let the Lord in, He will open your eyes and replace that fear with joy. your at a good place right now, what do you have to lose? either Gods not real and its all just in your head, or God is real and your facing eternity in hell. But you and i both know nothing anybody in here says is going to ease that fear.

I don't usually say this. But you stated my opinion much more elegantly than I could.

link   

i dont live right. i want to do whatever i wana do wherever i wana do it however i wana do it. im a bit selfish. i do alot of what is considered "sins" now im not no rapist murderer etc. but im not a saint either. it does matter if its real or not because if it is im probably going there

Then maybe this is your conscience trying to give you a wakeup call. If you feel how you're living isn't the right way, you have the power to change that. But try not to be too hard on yourself, either. You do what you want to do... but does that mean you end up hurting others in some way, because you're doing what you want? For me, that would be the main defining element as to whether the action was "right" or "wrong." IMO doing what you want to do and NOT harming anyone else, isn't all that bad. Another angle to consider-- is it harming YOU? Because I think sometimes self-harm can be almost as bad as harming another. Especially if that self-harm prevents you, somehow, from being a better person who might do good in the world. Like, for example, if you wasted your life due to some type of addiction. To be fair, when we indulge a harmful addiction, we are often harming others around us in some way anyway.... but I digress....

If you are looking at this from a judeo-christian standpoint, allow me to point a few things out to you:

First of all, "hell" as it's presented in the English bible is a mis-translation and/or misinterpretation. In the old testament, the only word translated as "hell" is "sheol" which literally translates to "ground" or "in the ground." So when the OT says if thus-and-such you'll go to hell, it means you'll go into the ground. Death. The New Testament translates several different words as hell: Gehenna, Hades, and Tartarus. Gehenna is the only term used by Christ himself which is translated in this way. And that word actually describes a place outside Jerusalem was trash was thrown. I believe a more proper translation used in that way is "you will be trash" or "thrown away like trash."

Hades is a word borrowed from the Greeks and it does describe an "underworld." Christ does not use this term. Tartarus is also borrowed from Greek Mythology and it does describe a place of torment. I believe "Tartarus" is only used in the book of Revelation, though i might be wrong on that point. As you can see, however, all of these terms which in english just get squashed into "hell" are all borrowed from Greek Mythology. Does that mean we should pray to Zeus, etc?

The book of Revelation (a book I'm not sure I entirely trust, to be honest) does describe a lake of fire and a second death. The "lake of fire" is where judged souls are supposedly thrown, so that they may be destroyed not for purposes of torture. This interpretation is in line with the "sheol" of the old testament-- a spiritual death. The soul is destroyed so that it is cut off from god.

What I suspect this is actually talking about, is this: When you do something which you know is not good, which you know is wrong, you are moving away from, cutting yourself off from, that part of god that is within yourself. This is hell. Or at least, a kind of hell. That terrible feeling you get inside, when you feel you're not living up to what you could be. Could this mean something else? A "real" second death-- of the everlasting soul? Maybe, I suppose. But I'd like to think not. People, and all our choices-- good or terrible, are partly a result of our situation, and all the experiences we've ever had. Our mind is formed from our many experiences. No two minds put in the same situation will react exactly the same way. If we have a truly loving and understanding god, then god knows this. IMO punishing someone eternally for what was a product of their circumstance, does not seem particularly loving or forgiving to me. And I think the hell we put ourselves through, with guilt, can be pretty bad, at times. And I have always had this suspicion-- you know how they say when you die, it's like you review or re-live your life? I have long suspected that even those of us who feel little guilt, or have little understanding, see everything clearly in that moment. Maybe that's also what hell is-- that final moment of clarity when you truly see the impact of your actions on the world-- for good or bad.

Anyway.... I like to think it's never too late. If you feel you're not living right, then make it right. But don't be too hard on yourself, in the process.

link   

Somehow, I'm having a lot of trouble taking you seriously. If I really have to, I can post a somewhat long but very effective rebuttal of everything you just posted.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Because there's no love of God in the threat and fear of hell, then there's nothing to fear if you love God above all and (no less important) your neighbor as yourself. Cultivate this love and all your fear will pass away.

Furthermore Jesus loves you and I love you, and there's nothing that can separate us from the love of God in Christ (whether you believe it or not).

So consider that possibility removed utterly, and come and freely drink the living water (flow of life as it is).

Love,

Your brother in Christ
NAM

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrBigDave
I think that if you truly thought about it, you believe in hell 100% of the time its just that you don't think about it or you push the idea to the back of your mind. I understand and am in a similar state in life. I do believe in hell, but I'm not doing anything about it. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but every once in a while the thought crosses my mind.

Yea thats how I am. I dont do anything about it and most of the time im not thinking about it but when i do im really scared that it might be real. Are you in this same situation? how do you cope/deal with his? your scared of dying because of hell but you cant escape death, so whats the solution?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Worth remembering, there were lots of other religions that existed before Christianity that had no concept of hell. It's only because your from a Christian country that you have that 10% belief in hell. If you were born in a buhhdist country you'd have a different view

link   

Originally posted by Shneal

How can I remove something so engraved in my subconscious? I've tried to change my thinking, but its not of use. Theres like these voices, what if your wrong, dont do it or youll go to hell, etc.

The bible says that your heart will "condemn" you. It is your heart pushing you toward a godly life. This is a good thing. The problem is that we all tend to ignore it most of the time.

link   
There is only one way to dissuade a fear such as yours. Confront it! How?

Study it. Study everything you can find on the concept of hell, hades, sheol, and so on. I spent decades in the cult of Christianity. You are not going to the Christian hell. Me telling you that won't ease your fear though. Knowledge and understanding will.

As Wildtimes said above, it takes time to get the indoctrination out of your head. And only YOU can do it. No one else. Start studying and learning from ALL sources about hell, and you'll find as you learn, the fear will begin subsiding, and finally fade away.

I went through this. I still occasionally catch myself thinking like my indoctrination occasionally. I confront it, and move on.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

the fact that you are questioning things is good. You need to find what you consider to be the truth. But don't get stressed out about hell. If hell exists, then so does heaven. If heaven exists, then so does God. But if hell and God don't exists, then when you die, there is nothing. When you find your truth, it will be what you were supposed to find.

Just don't stop looking.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Somehow, I'm having a lot of trouble taking you seriously. If I really have to, I can post a somewhat long but very effective rebuttal of everything you just posted.

You can try but there is nothing new under the sun.

The Holy Spirit lives in me and will provide me with any wisdom necessary to refute you. Weather you accept the wisdom or not is up to you. Please understand that in my messages I realize that I can seem self-righteous, while in person the exact opposite would be true. In person you would find me to be a humble servant who knows his place as a sinner who has been saved.

There is nothing you can do that will make me believe that my salvation is not real. The gift God has given to me is undeniable to me. To deny the truth which I now accept would be to deny my very existence.

You can challenge whatever passage you would like, and through me God will provide the answer.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
To anyone, what are your thoughts on this: www.divinemercysunday.com...
edit on 7-2-2013 by 0thetrooth0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Worth remembering, there were lots of other religions that existed before Christianity that had no concept of hell. It's only because your from a Christian country that you have that 10% belief in hell. If you were born in a buhhdist country you'd have a different view

I'd give anything to have been born in a different place just so that I would not be in the situation im in now..

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

What are your thoughts on this: www.divinemercysunday.com...

It doesn't matter what we think of it. It matters what you think of it. However, many people have visions. Muslims have visions geared toward their beliefs, Christians toward theirs, and Wiccans toward theirs. What's the point, or the difference? What makes a vision of hell by a nun any more valid than a Muslim's vision from Allah?
edit on 2/7/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofswords
Don't waste your time worrying, my friend. Life is too short.

~Live a good life and enjoy it. Be thankful for every day and appreciate the beauty and mystery of it all.
~Find balance in everything. It takes mercy AND discipline, rationality AND intuition. Enjoy the dance.
~When you make mistakes, seek forgiveness.....including forgiving yourself.
~Pray whether you believe or not. It is a spoken affirmation of all of the above.

Sometimes I do think about that life is too short and its probably the only life will have and so all we can do is enjoy life. Everyone is just living their life and im here worrying about the afterlife and what ifs. I wish I could be free and happy like you guys

Being "free and happy" is something that few people EVER experience. Wether Christians, Athiests, or any other religious followers, no one is more free than the other. Its a state of mind. There is a common idea that you have to follow all kinds of stupid rules to be a christian, and some churches teach that, but Paul said (paraphrasing) "I can do anything I want, but not everything is good for me". Its no different than going on a diet, you could eat that cake if you want to, but you don't because it will make you fat. We can, we just don't!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

She had a dream about hell. That consisted primarily of the things she was taught she would find there. She believes in the hell that she has been taught and therefore she believes the dream is real. Maybe for her it is, and maybe for her it was God leading her towards a better path.

She is seeking God, and God will come to all who seek. Even if they believe something less than the truth.
edit on 7-2-2013 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

your great intellect and wealth of knowledge that you have accumulated wont calm the fears of the OP. your perfect mind only pertains to that which can be seen and heard, the topic is of something that lacks that, so you have no point being in here only to troll. all of the knowledge in the world wont make you any closer to understanding what happens after death than any other person off the street. you think anybody who believes in the Bible is somehow stupid and through your logic and intellect you can rationalize it away. i would like to know what your belief system is, and have it completely layed out and documented, and im sure it wont be any closer to explaining the things we cannot answer than anybody elses religion. faith in the unseen saves a person, theres no faith in what someone can physically see and prove, whats so hard to understand about that?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

I'd give anything to have been born in a different place just so that I would not be in the situation im in now..

Rather than see the world that way, why not allow that God has placed you exactly where you need to be. Why not allow that everything you have been through was put there to strengthen you. What you see as a weakness maybe God has plans to use as a strength. You would not be struggling if he was not calling you.

If there is any religious concept about the bible that keeps you from believing Christ, challenge me and God will answer both of us.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

To anyone, what are your thoughts on this: www.divinemercysunday.com...
edit on 7-2-2013 by 0thetrooth0 because: (no reason given)

False. Stay away.

I really encourage you to come to God about all this. He will comfort you.

Secondly, I want to share how my mentality is with God in regard to prayer and requests. Personally, I know He will provide of my requests if the requests are not selfish. It's just an issue of timing. I understand how you said you were seeking before and you have never found. Personally, I don't think anyone can find God, but God finds you.

I have to ask you to examine yourself. What have you learned from trying to seek Him before? What were the commonalities between all the experiences? What was your mentality?

Be impartial when examining yourself. Separate the facts from what your mind says.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join