It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Bedroom Tax?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Personally I think the MPs here should be forced to give up their second homes that,they supposedly use and get well paid for when they are in London. Most of them just use it as a great con to get even more money in their pockets.
I hate this government and always will do, love my country but hate the parts that run it from Westminster.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I love seeing Glen on these threads! aha.. You sure know how to put it to em!

I agree with the reforms, my mother lives in a 3 bed council house, ( I left at 15), and my 17 year old brother currently lives with her.

However, she's an alcoholic, and sleeps on the bloody setee anyway - I think her benefits status should be addressed and so should that darn house, as I'm not living there, and she doesn't use her bloody room anyway..

Yes, I'm actually discussing my own family, you know why? She needs to learn some responsibility.

Anyway, that's literally just one example of how some British people abuse our system...

However, it runs far deeper than that. When I left at 15 I had no where to go and no one to turn to, unless I wanted a BABY in order to get a free filthy flat, my only option is sofa surfing. Anyway, I'm 21 now and earn just enough to rent A room.

The social system over here WILL NOT support me, if i'm a British national, none pregnant, and earning pennies.

If I did want the good life, I'd paint my skin yellow/brown and tell them I have 7 kids - I'd soon be given a mansion to live in.

There are multiple issues regarding the social system in the UK, above I've highlighted a few.

Maybe if they raised the minimum wage and halted inflation, us WORKERS would not even need the help of the benefit system... As the set up at the minute kidah defeats the whole point..

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

"Personally I think the MPs here should be forced to give up their second homes"

I second that!!!

If "They" the politician scum that they are want our extra bedrooms then we demand there second home!

And also there head on a platter!
edit on 8-2-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

You know it makes me laugh how people say we are in a democracy, there's nothing democratic about it! Its a bureaucracy!!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

I think its more like a totalitarian oligarchy in which we reside thesedays. Has been since the 50s!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
I totally disagree with this tax! My partner has just given birth to our first son, i allready have a 6 year old daughter. Under this new scheme they are expected to share a bedroom until the age of 10 if i'm not mistaken.

My family are not refugees we deserve proper housing provided by our goverment. Whats the deal with this crap hole of a nation these days???

Illuminati controlled Tory scum are destroying this country! Of that you can be sure!
edit on 7-2-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

I'm in a similar situation, my partner is due to give birth to our 2nd child next month and he'll be expected to share a bedroom with my 18-month old daughter, however I'm happy with our housing location so my plan is to eventually buy the house and convert the loft space, which my neighbours have done in a similar situation.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Just Chris

Nice to see you have a plan mate. Unfortunately it's just not financially viable for me to buy a house/flat right now.

Good luck with your new arrival!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
My circumstances at the moment would be considered overcrowded. I live with my wife and 2 children (boy and girl)
in a 2 bedroomed house. I private rent this house at a cost of £260 pcm which I pay out of my earnings. Both children have their own rooms. We have 2 bedrooms 1 dinning room a living room and A kitchen also A Bathroom/Toilet.

Now me and the wife have had to convert a spare living room into our bedroom. When we was on the housing waiting list we told the council we needed a bigger house because we was overcrowded, they told us to convert a living room into a bedroom space! which also knocked us down the waiting list for a council property as we was not considered overcrowded any longer.

Now if we moved into a new 3 bedroomed home the cost would be like 450 - 550 PCM. So do I move into a bigger house at a massive cost of around 200 - 300 pounds just for 1 extra bedroom? I don't think so.

I consider myself lucky to have the landlord I have as I have lived here for 18 years and he has only increased the rent by £20 in that time. If you ask me most of the landlords in this country are just ripping off their tennents knowing full well the Tax payers will be footing the bill through benefits.

Do I expect anyone to move out of their beloved homes just to accommodate me and my family? no I do not.
Will a get a bigger rebate for having less rooms in my house? no I will not. Will I get a Knock on my door to say hey Mr Ezappa do you know your living in overcrowded conditions and would you like a bigger house? no I definitely will not.

If I moved into a bigger home I surely would be costing the tax payer more money. Even though I work my earnings are not enough to pay for the rent private landlords are asking. And the social housing waiting list is a priority list. because I have a roof over my head I could be waiting for years. It just does not make sense at all.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Got this in a text message this morning, not sure if its true but as the saying goes, every little helps.

If your small bedroom/s are 70 square feet or under it is classed as a Boxroom, therefore it cannot be charged bedroom tax. This is listed under the Housing Act of 1985 and cannot be changed by law.

63 square foot is 9ft x 7ft.

It also seems that if you ask for a Discretionary Housing Payment Form at your local council, they pay it for you.
edit on 27-3-2013 by excelents because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-3-2013 by excelents because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I have to pay £41.60 every month because we have a spare bedroom and there are only the two of us living in the house. The council say it is out of their hands and if we refused we could be evicted. Starts in April and as we are unemployed it will be a struggle to find this money every month. I asked for a smaller house but there are none available at all in this area. We have lived here for over 20'years and I find this beyond a joke. Wonder if the govt would have got into power if they had said that their would be a bedroom tax, lower unemployment money, people who are too sick to work that have to go to a French firm called Atos which is a complete joke as about 80% of people they look at get zero points and have to sign on.
One person I know of was completely blind, had only one leg and hardly any use of her hands, yet was considered fit to work!
This govt lives in cloud cookoo land with their two homes, expenses, private chauffeurs and a lot of them are millionaires! No wonder we are fed up with the lot of them!
The suicide rate in the UK,has risen since this pathetic excuse for a govt came to power. I wish the prime minister and his cronies would come to my house because I would gladly do as we say in Scotland, and give them all a Glasgow kiss! Look it up

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by aspiechick

Do you realise that council houses were intended to be social housing for people in society who couldn't afford to buy a home. They should never have been sold to anyone. You got it cheaper than on the private housing market because you have lived there paying rent for a few years, and now you look down on the few people that are still renting.
You are the very worse type of snob, if you wanted to live in an area where everyone else owns there home you should have bought a house away from the council estate, but no you want to pay less and to h*** with the people who come after you.
Maybe the woman still renting has principles and doesn't agree with the selling off of the social housing stock. That has probably not even occured to you though, also why should you get a house cheaper than anyone else just cos you've been renting years? Other tenants in private flats and homes don't get that option.
Personally i think that whatever you do to make a council house look like it's private, whether it be a new front door or different coloured paintwork it is always obvious which houses were once council owned. Isn't that what really irks you, the fact that you never quite made it into the homeowners club in an area you really wanted.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join